Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #15

If you are concerned about screws into the sidewall you have two choices.1,don,t put them on or 2,get adealer to put them on With number 1 you don,t have any holes in your rv,number 2 the dealer can put the holes in your rv and they have insurance.Also you can take your missus out to lunch while they do it and you have no muss or fuss.Good luck with your deciding and either choice wiill be right for you.jeffp a happy campere who does most of the work on his own camper.I have since I bought it new as I think I am more fussy and concerned with the work done on it than those I hire might be.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Some excellent replies here and good info so far.
So definitely on the list is to call KZ and touch base on the slide hole framing.

Seen some mention, but what about the metal enclosures? Worth it? Does debris get down into the enclosure?

Of course in my ideal world, it slides out, gets covered with leaves, sticks, squirrel food droppings, then when sliding in....self cleans with no debris getting into covering.

Am I in a dream world?

Thanks again for all your input. GREAT community here.
Are you talking about the slots in the hard cover filling with debris? If so they do not in my experience. They do prevent the awning fabric from being beaten up by the weather.

Regarding debris collecting on the slide roof with a cover in place, I don't think that's a dream? Our's hasn't been in a situation where it's been extended for weeks at a time, but it certainly has been extended for a few days in the fall with leaves dropping on it on many occasions. It's always functioned as in your dream....

Old 06-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post

Seen some mention, but what about the metal enclosures? Worth it? Does debris get down into the enclosure?

Of course in my ideal world, it slides out, gets covered with leaves, sticks, squirrel food droppings, then when sliding in....self cleans with no debris getting into covering.

Am I in a dream world?

Thanks again for all your input. GREAT community here.
I think the metal enclosures help. I have them on all four of my slide toppers as well as on both automatic awnings. They help "scrape" the leaves off as the slide is retracted. Having said that, I did have a problem with the one on my entry door awning getting fouled with leaves. Winnie took care of it on one of my trips back to the factory. They can get fouled but I've only had it happen that one time and they've gotten a LOT of use.

I also think they LOOK much better than just having the toppers exposed.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote