Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #1

Slide Out Supports

I am considering buying slide out jacks for the large slide on my Montana which holds the living room sofa and dinning area. Will be seasonal and have read on other posts that owners love them but also that they are not recommended by manufacturers. My manual does not mention them. I will appreciate and input from those of you who have experience with them. If they are not pushing up on the slide, but merely supporting it, can they cause damage?

Neverhome

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #2

Slide outs are not made to have supports under them! Call and ask Keystone, I bet they'll have kittens at the mention of it.

Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #3

It depends on mfg. I have a Fleetwood Prowler and they suggest using them for long stays. RTM.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:10 AM   #4
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverhome View Post
I am considering buying slide out jacks for the large slide on my Montana which holds the living room sofa and dinning area. Will be seasonal and have read on other posts that owners love them but also that they are not recommended by manufacturers. My manual does not mention them. I will appreciate and input from those of you who have experience with them. If they are not pushing up on the slide, but merely supporting it, can they cause damage?

Neverhome
The reason many manufacturers recommend against slide supports is because a rigid support under the slide when the rest of the RV isn't perfectly rigid may cause misalignment and damage to the slide.

Very few RV stabilizers will keep the RV perfectly rigid. You can almost always feel some motion inside the RV when someone else is moving around, and that's one reason many people want to use slide supports in the first place. However, that's the very reason you should not use them.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
One way to look at it is open the door on your car, then put a jack under the edge of the door just touching it. Now get back in your car and see what happens. I would say not to use them.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #6

Thanks to all for your input I appreciate it very much. Randyman 1 that explanation was a great one. Made me immediately visualize the reason for not using them.

Neverhome
Old 03-09-2016, 07:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
One way to look at it is open the door on your car, then put a jack under the edge of the door just touching it. Now get back in your car and see what happens. I would say not to use them.
As many slideouts have a sofa, another way to look at it is open the car door and you and a friend hang from it. There is a lot of cantilever force there. So the bottom line is, how strong did the mfg build it. I still say they are the ones who will have that correct answer.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
It depends on mfg. I have a Fleetwood Prowler and they suggest using them for long stays. RTM.
No current trailer manufacturers suggest using slide supports.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #9

The Randyman had a good analogy of cantilever weight. MHO is it's an apple and orange comparison. Car suspension is designed to yield to provide comfort over rough surfaces thus thus deflection when a passenger enters the car. Hinge pins on car doors tend to wear out because of the tremendous force holding up cantilevered weight.
The RV is in a stabilized condition and deflection is minimal.
I do think employing a secondary support device is a risk if not used properly. Placement of the lifting device and the amount of pre-load becomes very important.

CLIFF
Old 03-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #10

Good points all. I e mailed Keystone yesterday on this question. Will advise as soon as I receive a reply.

Neverhome
Old 03-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Never IMHO...
Support the rv's frame but NOT anything movable like the slides...

Is there any REAL benefit to using them? IMHO - no.
With any settling any number of things could be damaged or not function as designed:
your slide mechanism,
the slide seals,
the flooring,
the sidewalls...

if they were necessary the mfg's would put them, but it is your rv and you can do what you want.... just trying to help !
Old 03-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
The Randyman had a good analogy of cantilever weight. MHO is it's an apple and orange comparison. Car suspension is designed to yield to provide comfort over rough surfaces thus thus deflection when a passenger enters the car. Hinge pins on car doors tend to wear out because of the tremendous force holding up cantilevered weight.
The RV is in a stabilized condition and deflection is minimal.
I do think employing a secondary support device is a risk if not used properly. Placement of the lifting device and the amount of pre-load becomes very important.

CLIFF
RV Trailer suspension is designed same as a cars.......
Unless trailer suspension is 'stabilized' trailer will bounce on it when folks enter/exit walk/run standup/sit down.

Slide out are designed to be self supporting/weight bearing extension rooms w/o additional support needed.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #13

Posts 4 and 12 are good answers.
I had supports for my 30' Sunnybrook TT slide----they were either stuck tight or way loose when I was ready to move. Sold them and never looked back.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used one a couple times when I had a trailer.

It did nothing to improve the stabilization of the trailer and I was always worried I'd forget it was under there when I lowered the tongue.

Got rid of it.

Tags
slide, slide out