Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #1

Slide-out weight limits

Are there limits on how much weight a slide-out can handle.... I ask because I am about to buy my first RV{aka... 5th wheel}, and since I will have to buy A used RVin the 30-35k range to live in full time..... Many of the units will need the couch and-or that need to be replaced.... my home pieces are over-sized and very heavy.... will I be able to use them..... or will i have to buy a cheaper light weight set.....
SteveFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #2

You would be surprised at how much RV furniture weighs . Go to a dealer and try pickig up a few pieces to compare. I don't think tou will have a problem as long as can get through the door .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
You would be surprised at how much RV furniture weighs . Go to a dealer and try pickig up a few pieces to compare. I don't think tou will have a problem as long as can get through the door .
if i cannot get it thru the door.. can a window be removed ... put the furniture in and then replace the window..... or is this just wishful thinking.....
SteveFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #4

More than one person has removed a windshield from their MH to replace the old RV refrigerator with a residential unit, so you wouldn't be breaking new ground. The question, though, is whether you have a window that is bigger than the door.

Another question would be the route you will need to take to get the old item out and the new one in. For example, if the space around your entrance door is tight, while you have a large window at the rear, and you are replacing the mattress, it might make sense to take the straight shot. I suspect that, for most things, you will be able to use the door.

Another factor to consider is that if you take our a window you will have to replace that window, which includes sealing it. Consider your options carefully, and keep safety in mind.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #5

I bought jacks to support the slide out whenever it's out.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

I have never seen weight limits published by any manufacturer for their slide outs. On my last fiver, I replaced the RV sofa with one that had storage under and behind it. I carried a lot of heavy items, dog food, bottled water, etc. and I carried a lot of weight under the booth dinette as well. I never had a problem with the slide out open or even traveling with it closed. Sounds like you will only have the slide open, so your situation should be better. But, on the other hand, it isn't just the weight of the furniture, but also the occupants.

In my opinion, your biggest problem would be getting the furniture thru the RV door. RV sofas and chairs generally have removable backs. When I built my storage sofa, I had to build it in multiple pieces to get it thru the door.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post

You best hope you don't forget it's there and lower your tongue or stabilizers.

Good bye slide-out.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:38 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFortune View Post
if i cannot get it thru the door.. can a window be removed ... put the furniture in and then replace the window..... or is this just wishful thinking.....
Many RVs have a large window behind the sofa. It is preferable to remove this window rather than removing the windshield to get a large item in or out of the RV because a side window is easier to handle and it is easier to reseal afterward.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You best hope you don't forget it's there and lower your tongue or stabilizers.

Good bye slide-out.
I have check list I run through. Those are close to the top of the list!
Old 11-15-2015, 05:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfsted View Post
Not advisable to use jack supports on slide outs, they can cause server damage to the slide.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
Not advisable to use jack supports on slide outs, they can cause server damage to the slide.
How so?
Old 11-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #12

Slide-out weight limits

I have seen slide damage from slide support jacks quite often.
If anything settles or if there are gusty winds, the RV moves but not the outboard edges of the slide. Something has to give, so the union between the slides and the RV get stressed.
With your slide support jacks in place, stand inside and watch the union between the slide and RV at the top while a neighbor rocks the RV from the outside. It will move. Physics!
I demonstrated this to a neighbor. He said holy moly and took them off. Why would the salesman recommend them, he asked? Sales. Coin operated.
Some threads on this
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/jack...sm-153940.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/jacks...-224133-2.html
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #13

I never thought of that. Thank you
Old 11-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Also, unless you're parked on concrete, the weight of the rv can cause the levelers and or support jacks under the rv to sink whereas the supports under the slide out might not due to much less weight on them.

Just not a good idea.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, weight