Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Slide Out's & the drive mechanical system options

As we have looked at so many units over past weeks, one new unit had a bedroom slide on rollers with a exposed cable driven system.

I questioned the salesman about that and he said it was very reliable system and allows room to be put in or out much faster. Really????

I thought cable driven systems were the original systems that came out years ago and were long gone being replaced by worm gears and later hydraulic driven systems.

Further I have seen many bedroom slides with "schwintec" ? driven slides.

On a previous post it was recommended not to use slide out jack supports and I appreciated that information now as we look at our next 5ver, curious what I should be looking at for drive systems on our slide out rooms. Thanks!! Jim

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
My brother-in-law has had major problems with his cable/pulley system. He has had 4 or 5 cables replaced over a 3 year period and he sits still most of the time.
I'm sure there are people who like this system and if the system is perfectly aligned is can probably produce good results, but that hasn't been his experience. On the plus side is relatively inexpensive and should be easy to work on.
I've always had the rack and pinion system and have been very satisfied with the way they have performed.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #3

We have the Schwintek Slide system on two of our sildes and a electric gear driven system on the third slide.

The Schwintek Slide on the bedroom slide has always worked great, the Schwintek on the larger Kitchen / Entertainment Center has had a few problems but after a little TLC and learning on my part is now working great.

The Cable System and the Schwintek system have had some problems, looks like most of the problems are related to installation by the RV Manufacturer.

As the Manufacturers learn more and get better at installing these new systems the problems from installation, alignment and such are getting less and less.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It seems that all slide systems will eventually have problems. We have had both electrical gear drive systems and also hydraulic systems and both have had problems. Never had any exposure to a cable system.

Ken
Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post

As the Manufacturers learn more and get better at installing these new systems the problems from installation, alignment and such are getting less and less.
Rob, I would like to believe you are correct, but my experience (or at least it seems to me) that the objective of most manufacturers is to get the finished product out the back door and sold. Let the dealer deal with the stuff that is wrong. Slide-outs especially are notorious for not being put in sqarely and if this is the case then no mechanism is going to work properly. Dealers claim every year that the cable systems on the rigs on their lot have finally been perfected but guess what. They haven't.
If a person had the time to study the system (any system) and learn how they work and how to properly adjust them then he would be ahead of the game. If not I would get an extended warranty or stay away from cable systems.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #6

Personally I am not a big fan of the cable systems.

After seeing many of the "Top of the Line" Manufactures (Like DRV, HitchHiker, Redwood) using the Schwintek Slide system, I thought I would give it a try on our Pinnacle.

So far, so good after a little learning curve and TLC on the large slide with the Schwintek System.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not a cable fan and would never have a rig with cables. But that just my way of thinking.

As for speed...our gear driven slides deploy in about 10 to 15 seconds. I can't see a need for anything faster.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #8

Slides using cables would make me nervous. Sounds like a cheap system - the rest of the 5er is probably put together the same way.

Regarding the slide supports - get a rig with a good slide system and you won't need it. A slide support can do more harm than good, such as when a stiff breeze rocks the 5er - something has to give.

Jim

Tags
slide