Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #1

slide topper ?

Hello I retired a couple years ago and want to do this rv travel thing, so found a nice 2008 peterson excel 33TKE 5th wheel. I would like to install new toppers over the slides but have a ? do I install the mounting trim below the rain gutter? or remove the gutter to have a greater slope and the flange around the slide is about 2.75" so is it ok if the fabric runs over that edge it appears the topper mounting points are down quite far. I have not ordered the toppers as of yet but only one push of a button away. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

I didn't do my own install on my last 5er, that was part of the purchase agreement .
I would think that all installation instructions would come with the kit. Excess slope could expose too much fabric to damage from wind while traveling.
Any contact between the fabric and the slide flange , will cause the fabric to wear as it flaps ; usually the mount arms would be long enough to prevent this.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #3

Here's a photo of a slide awning installed .
Yellow arrow is mount arms for roller , red arrow ; flange to fabric clearance .
Note that the fabric sits close to level , from the side of the RV , so that when retracted for travel , there would be a very small area for wind to enter and cause the fabric to billow out.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #4

Mounting trim goes below the rain gutter
Old 04-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #5

slide toppers

Thanks everyone great advice.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #6

Depending on your situation you may have to remove the rain gutter. I did on mine. If I hadn't there would not have been enough space to install the rail between the top of the slide out and the roof trim.
Mine came with somewhat cryptic instructions, but I was able to decipher them. On my Dometic unit, the bracket and arm mount in different configurations to give the proper clearance between fabric and slide out trim.
Definitely have a helper to slide the fabric onto the rail - not sure how you would do it solo!
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #7

The circumstances of my application required that I remove the gutter. I was fortunate in that the slide channel covered the gutter mounting holes. I would install the toppers so that when extended there is slope to the fabric to facilitate runoff and help prevent pooling.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #8

Previous camper installed topper ourself following what others have already shared. Our 2016, had them installed with the purchase. Either way, you want the rail below the main rain gutter. The rest should be included with directions and will depend on manufacturer. The mounting hardware will go in the top corners regardless because that is where you have something solid to mount to just below the trim.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The general rule of thumb is about 4-6" slope of the fabric, regardless how you get there.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
The general rule of thumb is about 4-6" slope of the fabric, regardless how you get there.
Where do you get that rule of thumb? I've never seen a slide topper with that much slope. The ones on my Horizon might have an inch or two drop from the coach to the roller and same with the Crusader.

Many applications I have seen don't have anywhere near 6" to play with.

Tags
slide