Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2015, 11:07 PM   #1

Slideout Awning's

Wanted to get everyone's opinion on awnings over the slides. Noticed that a lot of people have them. I do not but also saw that you can order them. Has anyone put after market awnings over there slides and are they worth it or is it just a way for companies to make money? What are the pro's and con's.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:12 AM   #2

Every thing on my unit is useful and needed. Slide awning to me is more for show and makes more stuff to maintain. If not installed properly will be noisy and load up the slide mechanism. My friend broke 2 alignment gears before noticing that his awning was to tight and caused the slide to jam.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:31 AM   #3

So they are not necessary. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have them and like them because when it gets hot they provide shade to the roof of the slideout.

Here where we live 100 degrees is pretty common in the summer so they help keep us cool.

The downside is they make noise at night when the wind comes up.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:19 AM   #5

Things to think about. Thanks!!!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Since we camp mostly where there are trees, birds and other things depositing 'stuff' on the top, we wouldn't be without slide covers. I installed them myself on our old TT (two slides) and they came on our Montana. They can get noisy in windy conditions, but the flip side of keeping the indoors cooler and not having to clean the slide tops is well worth it.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
We camp mostly in State Parks and Corp. Parks with lots of trees and have toppers on 4 slides. We move about every 4 to 5 days and I have no desire to be on the roof that often sweeping off the slides. The toppers do an excellent job of keeping them debris free. I do have an 18 foot topper that does flap a bit during the windy times, but I'll take that trade off for no sweeping. The 3 smaller slides have no flapping. Some people love them, some hate them.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #8

Neighbors in a campground didn't have slide toppers, while we did. We were well shaded, so the sun shading point was not an issue. However, when the neighbor retracted his slide prepping to move, a small limb (fell after cleaning), caught his top seal and ripped his seal off. He told me later, repairs of seal and water damage was over $2300. Toppers are a pain sometimes, but I wouldn't be without them.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #9

To me they are a requirement on any slide. The toppers sever several purpose; One to help keep the slide cooler in the hot sun beating on the top of the slide.

Two to keep debris off of the top of the slide as noted above sticks and small limbs may damage seals on the slide.

Three to keep the top of the slide dry when it is raining. I have had to pull slides in rain storms and we have never worried about water entering the inside of the camper. The toppers keep the slides dry.

That one item along is worth the cost of slider toppers.

Jim W.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #10

First of all, I don't have them. My current trailer doesn't even have a ladder. I find something to stand on and sweep the top of the slides before I close them if I'm under trees. I think the flapping in the wind would annoy me more than the occasional sweep off.

As far as the whole "keeping the sun off to keep cooler" opinion goes; how much of your roof is really covered by the topper? Maybe 10 or 15%. I can't see the investment really paying off.

I guess maybe if I were a full-timer they may have added value, but for my occasional use I will go without.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvallee View Post
First of all, I don't have them. My current trailer doesn't even have a ladder. I find something to stand on and sweep the top of the slides before I close them if I'm under trees. I think the flapping in the wind would annoy me more than the occasional sweep off.

As far as the whole "keeping the sun off to keep cooler" opinion goes; how much of your roof is really covered by the topper? Maybe 10 or 15%. I can't see the investment really paying off.

I guess maybe if I were a full-timer they may have added value, but for my occasional use I will go without.
100% of the slideout roof is covered. There is no insulation in the slideout roof so a lot of heat is transmitted into the interior without a slide topper.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #12

Those long, linear seals, where the slide goes into the main body, are notorious for rolling over instead of sliding properly. A topper gives you an extra means of keeping rainwater out if that does occur, and prevents debris on the slide roof from damaging the seals during retraction..
Old 03-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #13

I see...I wasn't aware of the lack of insulation in the slide roof. My 10-15% guesstimate was in reference to the entire roof of the RV.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #14

I will never have another slide without them.
Its so nice not having to climb on a stepladder and blow off the junk.They make the RV look better too.

Tags
awning, slide, slideout