Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #1

Slides

Here is the question today there are manufactures that build RVs with as many as 5 slides is that good or maybe not so? In my opinion less is better and heres why...At some point in time you will have to do maintenance on slides even if it just an adjustment...I would rather have fewer large slides then more slides...I believe 5 slides are a bit over kill whats your opinion?
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #2

Well, we wanted a 5'er that is large enough to give us a sense of room to live in, being full-timers (half-timers, actually, what with the winters down south in Arizona). We got the Open Range 386FLR in 2012. Having the 5 slides gave us the sense of space that prevented us from feeling squeezed in even if only psychologically, or the feeling that we were stuck in each other's pocket, room to get away from each other if we needed some alone time. Just 'cause you're on your own some doesn't mean you're lonesome, after all. The maintenance of the slides is merely the price we pay for having that homey comfort. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary. ;-)
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #3

Just my opinion, but many smaller slides is better than a couple of huge slides. Less impact on structural integrity and less likely to get out of alignment. And I would worry more about issues with any slide that includes water, propane and drain lines than ones w/o. Also type of slide out mechanism can be a big factor in the amount of maintenance. Even how the slide out is constructed is a factor. Anyway, number of slide outs is not my biggest deciding factor.

Finally I prefer layouts where the bath and refer are accessible with the slide outs closed.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The only reason we have 2 slides is because we can live comfortably in the moho with both of the slides closed. We do not open them in inclement weather. We can get to the kitchen, the bathroom, and the bedroom without any problems while the slides are closed. We could not find a floor plan that we liked in a moho that did not have any slides, but would consider buying one if that day ever gets here.

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide