Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Slides in or out

My 09 Excel 35TKE Ltd stays in NM on my property during the November-April months. It has Propane and electrical service during this period. Some in my Park leave them out, some bring them in. The unit is on cinder blocks and has a lg covered porch on the entry/exit side.
Comments pro and con will be appreciated
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #2

Slides in helps protect roofs or toppers, which ever you have.
I've seen buzzards eat EPDM rubber. Leaves less slide seal exposed to degrade.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

Bring them in.

Less worries.
It is just a button away!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #4

I leave mine out. I have my trailer slightly tilted to where water can only go away from the seal at the trailer. We spend approx 25 weekends at our seasonal site and i see no reason to put that many extra in and out on the slide motors and mechanics. Think of all the people who live in them 24/7 they don't pull them in when a storm pops up. If you have slide covers then i would make sure you have a wedge or beach ball to keep the water from pooling when your not there.
Just my .02
Robert
Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Why wouldnt you push the buttom and bring them in?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #6

I would bring them in too. Protect the toppers and depending on the cold, there is less area to heat if needed for freezing.
hes4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #7

Use em or loose em. Its good to exercise the slide outs. Keep the coach sealed up tight from the elements, keep the slide out windows inside and dry. When unattended there is no reason to leave the slides out unless you feel the rodents need more space to play.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I asked the same question a while back based on our CG owner gave me this line on why you should just keep them out. His information seemed reliable so we did just that, kept them out. Kept them cleaned once a year but other than that did not mess with them. We just traded ours which was 11 years old. It did not have any issue with the slide or roof at all so I guess it did not hurt any thing.
With that said, our new unit has slide out toppers and I really do not want them wrecked with a high wind storm that might come along. So we will now bring them in if we are going to be gone for extended time. We will leave them out as if we were staying there FT if only away for a few days or perhaps a week or two but over the winter months when not occupied, will bring them in. For what it is worth, 80% of our owners in our CG leave them out year around and I have not heard of anyone having an issue with it.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I would say either way !:-)

With ours in the heat and cooling have less cubic feet to do, but the four slides cover the floor vents for the heater and I'd think that's not good :-)