Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #1

Slow Shower Drain

our shower drains slow in our fifth wheel. doesn't seem clogged, but like it isn't vented correctly. if I run water directly into the drain it goes down no problem, but while taking a shower it will drain real slow. tried hot water down drain, baking soda and vinegar..... no change. tried with tank open and closed.
AnnetteY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

In a shower drain, it's usually hair. You might try one of these, you'll be surprised how much it catches!

Zip It 00412BL Cobra Drain Cleaning Tool: Plumbing Tools : Walmart.com

It could also be a problem of a shallow slope to the drain line, you might try to see if it is sloped to help drain. It's rather tough to change if it is the problem, try the Cobra first.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

I 2nd the Zip-it tool.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #4

At $7.95 for a 5 cent piece of plastic, I'll continue to use my bent coat hanger for snagging hair in the drain.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 11-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #5

Get the Zip It Tool and run it up and down the shower drain and remove the hair clogs while others are still bending coat hangers.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #6

"while others are still bending coat hangers".....lets see.....I already have a bent coat hanger, or I can cut and bend a new one in 2 minutes or I can get the "proper" tool for the complex job of getting hair outta the shower drain, by driving to the store and back...hmmm

Regards
Gemstone
Old 11-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I tried one of those zip tools and it got stuck!

I always used a small plunger and had good results.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My lav and shower drains were slow. Used a dose of Drano, the new gel type. Problem resolved.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstone View Post
"while others are still bending coat hangers".....lets see.....I already have a bent coat hanger, or I can cut and bend a new one in 2 minutes or I can get the "proper" tool for the complex job of getting hair outta the shower drain, by driving to the store and back...hmmm
If you do ever use a Zip you will never go back to a coat hanger.
The Zip will pull out more hair on one use, then a coat hanger will in many tries.
Zip only $4.70 including shipping. And you don't even have to drive to the store.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
If you do ever use a Zip you will never go back to a coat hanger.
The Zip will pull out more hair on one use, then a coat hanger will in many tries.
Zip only $4.70 including shipping. And you don't even have to drive to the store.
I tried the zip at home in the S&B and it worked well but it was too nasty to clean and hair just doesn't come off. Do you use once and throw away? I thought it would be a reusable tool but just ended up tossing it.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Once I got our drain cleaned out I bought one of those round convex screens that fit into the shower drain. Periodically, I take it outside and clean it off with hose and nozzle.

As to the yuk factor of one of the flexible cleaning sticks, cleaning one is an unpleasant task but can be done. A few leftover hanger-ons won't bother the effectiveness the next time it's used.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #12

recap

got the zip it.. no hair. discovered it was the drain cap. no idea why, but with it removed and just a cheap hair catcher over it, it drains fine.
AnnetteY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower