Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2005, 08:23 PM   #1

I'd like to hear from anyone that has used some smaller Diesel generator with their TT or 5th.

Does anyone know of any ultra quiet Diesel models?

Has anyone tried making a 'foam box' with exhaust fan to cut down the noise?

One Ebay dealer in Orlando has the following new units:
3800w max, 3500w cont, 165lb, 78db - $760
6500w max, 6000w cont, 250lb, 82db, wheels - $999
Both are electric start. That's A LOT less then I'd expected to find them, so a Diesel genny is no longer cost prohibative.

If I'm going to keep it in the back of the truck, I'd probably consider a larger unit. Though 250lb doesn't sound very pleasant to move around, it could (better) power the house when the next hurricane hits.

I'd really like to stick with Diesel over the obvious Honda or Yamaha because:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Same fuel as the truck
<LI>Can run on veggie oil for the supercheap...uhm....I mean eco-conscience.
<LI>Diesel's last forever
<LI>I'm Diesel Dave! I bleed Cetane! [/list]

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2005, 08:23 PM   #2

I'd like to hear from anyone that has used some smaller Diesel generator with their TT or 5th.

Does anyone know of any ultra quiet Diesel models?

Has anyone tried making a 'foam box' with exhaust fan to cut down the noise?

One Ebay dealer in Orlando has the following new units:
3800w max, 3500w cont, 165lb, 78db - $760
6500w max, 6000w cont, 250lb, 82db, wheels - $999
Both are electric start. That's A LOT less then I'd expected to find them, so a Diesel genny is no longer cost prohibative.

If I'm going to keep it in the back of the truck, I'd probably consider a larger unit. Though 250lb doesn't sound very pleasant to move around, it could (better) power the house when the next hurricane hits.

I'd really like to stick with Diesel over the obvious Honda or Yamaha because:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Same fuel as the truck
<LI>Can run on veggie oil for the supercheap...uhm....I mean eco-conscience.
<LI>Diesel's last forever
<LI>I'm Diesel Dave! I bleed Cetane! [/list]

Old 03-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #3

....buy three-if you need parts you can't always call china and get next day delivery.....of just get an Onan and forgetaboutit.... generator and engine are two units they each have to be repaired....geof kaye
Old 03-06-2005, 09:29 PM   #4

Since just about everything is made in China these days, I don't think that really counts. I posted these units because the place selling them was a regular dealer/service center, and not your normal Ebay junk stock seller. As for Onan....besides the expense...I just looked up their 5500W and it weighs a massive 400 pounds, and is not designed to be portable in any way.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #5

Dave, I never had one in a TT but I had a couple on my Semi's I thought they were fairly quiet. They were very dependable but expensive, I thought, at the time I think I had about $3,000.00 into each one which included separate A/C. For my application I saved double that over the time I used them.
If you can find a dealer and listen to the exhaust. And remember they always are noisier out in the woods or campground.
Peaceful
Old 03-11-2005, 09:30 AM   #6

Dave, have you looked at this one
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/gen/edl6500.html
heavier but water cooled and runs at 68Db, there is a wheel kit avaulable as well. I will probably be going with this one because I need the 240
03 Dodge 3500 HO Quad LB DRW 48re 4.10 BD Xmonitor gauges Rickson 19.5 x 6.75 Polished Forged Aluminum Wheels Classic Round Hole Michelin XDE-MS 245/70R19.5 H 06 Mobile Suites tk3 #3151
1Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #7

1Thom, thanks for the link. I had no idea yamaha made such a thing! The problem with this, is like the onan, is it's not really my idea of portable being 526 pounds, even with wheels!

Both the 3500 and 6000 watters I mentioned above are 120/240VAC. But the 6kw is only 250 pounds.
I don't think I'd consider anything heavier then that.

For yourself do a seaech on ebay for 'deisel generators'. On the first page I found a 352lb 5500W quite generator that's 70db for $1300.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #8

Dave,, thanks but I really want to try to stay at or below 68 db and the China sets don't seem to have a track record, I was looking at other fuel types but the fuel consumption and life spans were lacking as well as run times on a tank of fuel
03 Dodge 3500 HO Quad LB DRW 48re 4.10 BD Xmonitor gauges Rickson 19.5 x 6.75 Polished Forged Aluminum Wheels Classic Round Hole Michelin XDE-MS 245/70R19.5 H 06 Mobile Suites tk3 #3151
1Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #9

Actually I just found 3 ebay listings for those
Yamaha's EDL6500S. 'Buy it Now' price is $4000. Ouch.

For that amount the 'buy 3' idea is starting to sound like a good option!

After some more searching I've seen a few 4-6KW Yanmar's in the $2-3K range. I know that Yanmar is very well respected for their Marine engines as being light, efficient, and quiet.

Heres the specs of one:
5000 max, 4500W cont, 165lb, 67db. $3000
And it's an air cooled unit and has no enclosure, so 67db is really quiet.

As for fuel tanks, I think the way to go is to retrofit a boat gas tank. Might be a little tricky if these are gravity feed. (No fuel pump)
Old 03-11-2005, 09:41 PM   #10

....we used to call the Chink the "knocker" it had more piston slap than natural for a diesel but it ran forever till the flood of '97 killed it....[insured]...now I have a Onan 12,500 and 2 Generacs 12,500 and a Miller welder 8,000 that louder than a jack hammer.....geof kaye
Old 03-14-2005, 12:07 PM   #11

Well Dave, I own one of those $999 5500 Watt Diesel (Made in China) electric start wheel kit generators.

It's loud and it vibrates. It may run forever - I don't know. The throttle mechanism is made of such weak material, that after running solid for 3 days in Florida during a hurricane power outage, the throttle/governor latching mechanism wore out. I had to build one from scratch. I didn't see any need to go back to the supplier for another piece of cheap pot metal. Reminds me of the Japanese quality back in the early/late 60's.

For the sake of my neighbors that I would care to get along with, I own a Yamaha for the RV.

"You get what you pay for" still works for me.

I drive a diesel too, but my generator is gas. It's not light, but it runs 11 hours on 3.5 gallons of gas at full song. During 100 degree July heat in Kansas City.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:20 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Dave,
I have a Yahama 300 ise in the front compartment of our fiver. It runs at 52 DB and runs airconditioner and microwave. I had to put it on a slide shelf so it could get enough air to cool and change the exhaust. I got some 1/2 copper pipe and JD Weld it to the muffler. I also got some 3/4 copper pipe to get the exhaust away from the co2 alarms. The first time I use it they went off took over a hour to clear the air out. The only problem I got is getting gas into the tank on the trailer. I use this generator at the house as well as the trailer. I got it for $1600 plus shipping.
Tom
Old 03-24-2005, 03:55 PM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I know you're shopping for a diesel generator but we have been very happy with the propane generator (Generac 5.5kw) that we had installed in our rig to factory spec as part of the purchase deal.

Pros: Relatively quiet, most noise is directed downward, don't know the DBs;
Pushbutton start from inside the rig;
Low maintenance.

Cons: Cost, dealer claims gen added about $4,500 to cost but due to the smoke and mirrors of purchase, I think it was somewhat less;
Fuel usage: 11 hours per 30lbs of propane. Usage doesn't bother us since we use it mainly at rest stops to run the A/C and microwave for brief periods.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
gme

diesel noise

try a web site called rvgeneratornoise.com they have do it yourself instructions on how to reduce the noise
gme