Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
You can NOT just change the circuit breaker with out changing the wire from the breaker to the outlet. I ran 8 ga wire to the garage, you can use 10 ga for 30A. If your circuit breaker is 20A then it is likely that 12 ga was used. A hard star capacitor may allow your air conditioner to work with a lower ampacity/watts but your 1500W generator is not likely to be sufficient. The hard start capacitor mod RV Air Conditioner Hard Start Capacitor | ModMyRV
So ill just use my rv cord with the converter on it. If 15 amp breaker is enough to run the whole camper im not gonna mess with my wiring or camper
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81 View Post
So ill just use my rv cord with the converter on it. If 15 amp breaker is enough to run the whole camper im not gonna mess with my wiring or camper
That may be best for now.
My camper gets used as guest house, so I installed a 30A receptacle w/ 10ga wire. 15A wasn't cutting it.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
That may be best for now.
My camper gets used as guest house, so I installed a 30A receptacle w/ 10ga wire. 15A wasn't cutting it.
Gotcha. I could at some time replace the wiring with bigger. My wires are burried under cement so id need to fish tape them or tie new to the old and pull through
Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #18

I'm glad someone cleared this up. 30A is not the same as 15A, and you can't just go adapting like crazy. There are codes specifically for matching wire size to amp ratings. Overload wires, risk fire. At the very least melting plugs.
Go running your AC, converter, and other things and see what happens.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #19

Here's all you need:

30-amp-rv-female-to-15-amp-male-adapter

WalMart carries them also. Runs my AC fine, just can't use the microwave at the same time.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-55 View Post
Here's all you need:

30-amp-rv-female-to-15-amp-male-adapter

WalMart carries them also. Runs my AC fine, just can't use the microwave at the same time.
This is what i have. Same thing?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...a-female/27986
Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #21

What I do...it is not perfect. I run a 20 amp extension cord from my micrwave 20amp circuit in my kitchen. This allows us to run the A/C to keep the rig cooler while we clean the inside.

Check your house microwave ciurcut. It might be 20 amp.

If you use a 15 amp extension cord in a 20 amp outlet then max out the draw the extension cord will get too warm. That is way you need a 20amp extension cord. Less risk of fire. At Lowes the 20amp extension cord is the thick yellow cord.

Note - you can not run the microwave while the trailer A/C is running.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
What I do...it is not perfect. I run a 20 amp extension cord from my micrwave 20amp circuit in my kitchen. This allows us to run the A/C to keep the rig cooler while we clean the inside.

Check your house microwave ciurcut. It might be 20 amp.

If you use a 15 amp extension cord in a 20 amp outlet then max out the draw the extension cord will get too warm. That is way you need a 20amp extension cord. Less risk of fire. At Lowes the 20amp extension cord is the thick yellow cord.

Note - you can not run the microwave while the trailer A/C is running.
Here is what your 15A plug in an old residential receptacle will look like after a few hours running an A/C. Just sayin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130716_092020_044.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	42407  
Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #23

It is not only wattage, voltage is important. The National Electrical Code = NEC states that safe voltage is 120VAC + or - 10%, or 132VAC max and 108VAC minimum to prevent burning up the A/C motor/compressor over time. This is often dependent on wire size and length. Use this wire size calculator to prevent excessive voltage drop - assuming you have 120VAC at the receptacle and it has no loads on it other than the RV.
That genset you mentioned is too small to power an RV air conditioner.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #24

Quote:
That'll do it!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Here is what your 15A plug in an old residential receptacle will look like after a few hours running an A/C. Just sayin'
Not saying that won't happen, but I'd guess that the "old residential receptacle" was a contributing factor.

I replaced my 30-amp-rv-female-to-15-amp-male-adapter after a few years because it was looking worn. I keep a couple spares on board. I realize it's not an ideal solution but I'd hazard a guess that lots of people are (successfully) using them.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #26

So my 30 amp extension cord wasn't long enough so I had to use a drop cord and at first the ac worked great and then it tripped the breaker. Then itd only stay reset for a couple minutes. Is it because too much extension cord
Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #27

Quote:
So my 30 amp extension cord wasn't long enough so I had to use a drop cord and at first the ac worked great and then it tripped the breaker. Then itd only stay reset for a couple minutes. Is it because too much extension cord
If the breaker in the garage is tripping you're pulling too many amps, if the breaker in the RV is tripping, you've got too much cord. Generally speaking.
These things wear out, if the breaker has been tripping repeatedly, it's going soft.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #28

Quote:
If the breaker in the garage is tripping you're pulling too many amps, if the breaker in the RV is tripping, you've got too much cord. Generally speaking.
These things wear out, if the breaker has been tripping repeatedly, it's going soft.
Looks like im hittin the hardware store on my way home from work tomorrow!