Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #15

This is a great product works well for me and others to keep things flowing in the black and grey tanks and eliminates order.

Happy Camper - Odorless Holding Tank Treatment Black and Grey Water

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #16

Glad I could amuse y'all! It's not QUITE up there was some of the truly ASTONISHINGLY stupid things I've done, but I have to admit, even while in the middle of spraying everywhere, on the inside I was laughing at how stupid it had to look! I felt like I was in a 3 Stooges episode!

But, so far, everything is still flowing!

Old 07-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #17

I hate to drag out the smelly bubble thing again, but yesterday I carefully WATCHED as we dumped the black water tank (we have a clear fitting with a 45 degree bend that attaches to the trailer end, so I can see the output......

LOTS came out. Then none. I had hooked a full pressure hose to the in-tank sprayer, and my wife was inside filling the toilet bowl and dumping it. We didn't have any bubbles or problems, BUT, even though there was a LOT of water going into the tank NOTHING came out after it stopped...

After several minutes, a big "clump" went and some more water. Then NOTHING again. After several MORE minutes, ANOTHER big clump and water. Several more minutes (we're doing this 'cause I figure when EVERYTHING is clean I should get a flow of clear-ish water out the drain) and a THIRD big bunch of stuff... Then nothing again.

After 4 times we finally let the sprayers put a goodly amount of water in the tank along with several bowl flushings. And some Rid-X... And made the 6 hour drive home. I'm hoping the jostling will break up whatever's left in there.

BUT, it got me thinking. Many years ago we used Charmin. And after a number of years with no problems we suddenly had clogs. So I learned about the "put a couple sheets in a glass of water and shake it up" test. Turned out the Charmin became a large, wet, homogenous clump... So, no more Charmin.

Went to Angel Soft. Did the test. Instant dissolving into lots of tiny little white pieces..... Been using it for quite a while. I got to wondering if the Angel Soft got changed, so this evening we took a couple sheets of Angel Soft and tested it, and a couple sheets of the Scott Rapid Dissolve..... The Angel Soft no longer instantly dissolved. It also became a quite clumpy mass instead of fragmenting. The Scott dissolved into lots of little pieces.....

A very long explanation to get to the question - does anyone know if Angel Soft, like Charmin before it, changed their TP so it no longer dissolves instantly? We'll use the Scott this week, but I'm curious 'cause the Angel Soft is quite a bit less expensive than the Scott.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #18

Paper is not a uniform product. TP is probably one of the least uniform versions. Depending on what wood is cut from what location and what mill shipped the product there is a wide range of possibilities.

Do you put any detergent or water softener in the black tank after a dump? That might help keep things liquid.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #19

dkperez,
If you have only been RVing for 50 years, you have not yet had all the disasters with the black tank that can happen...still lots to look forward to!!
My wife began using ONLY Charmin Basic in our trailer couple of years ago--it seems to work just fine, but apparently you have a more complicated sewer line setup that has a tight spot/bend in it.
I also use Calgon/Dawn/about 5-10 gal water after each dump that seems to keep the tank clean.
Hope your problems are behind (pun intended) you.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #20

Oh, it's not just black water - I REGULARLY provide entertainment with stupid human tricks involving the trailer... My all-time favorite is STILL when we parked in Duluth, MN, in a site on Spirit Mountain, and the campsite sloped a bit toward Lake superior. Put the front feet down, pulled the pin on the truck, and the trailer started rolling toward the lake.

My wife, with GREAT presence of mind, immediately grabbed the side of the trailer to stop it! FORTUNATELY, the front feet dug in after 4 or 5 feet, and the trailer stopped. Laughing, I asked her exactly WHAT she thought she was going to be able to do if the trailer had continued rolling? As she said "Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time!"

We now chock the wheels whenever we're not on VERY flat ground!

Anyhow, on the way down this weekend, I stopped and dumped the black water. It looks like the six hours of sloshing, Rid-X, sitting for several days, and some more sloshing worked. Things blasted out nicely, and with the tank sprayers going, at the end I had a nice, consistent stream of clear water coming out...

Trying the Scott Rapid Dissolve this week...

BTW: How much Dawn do you normally put in a 40 gallon black water tank?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 PM   #21

The greatest part of the whole thing is that he actually could have left all of the funny stuff out. But it makes for awesome reading! I am glad you are fixed and I think I am learning the greatest part of this RV thing is almost everything and every story!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbrown View Post
The greatest part of the whole thing is that he actually could have left all of the funny stuff out. But it makes for awesome reading! I am glad you are fixed and I think I am learning the greatest part of this RV thing is almost everything and every story!
What's funnier yet is that the last post I just read in this thread was by a "Jon Brown..."
Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #23

Dawn is easy to use--couple of good squeezes is what I use. However, since dkperez is entertaining, I can also add that you shouldn't use in the dishwasher...
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, smell