Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

Smelly kitchen sink

We have a double sink in the kitchen that emits an awful odor, especially when using hot water to do dishes. The hot water tank is under this cabinet. I have checked for leaks around the water tank, drain pipes, and vent pipes. All show no leaks or loose fittings. The hot water tank was drained and flushed about 5 months ago. There doesn't seem to be any bad smell or odor to the water itself. This condition seems to be worse when the sink hasn't been used for a couple of days. Any suggestions to remedy this problem would be greatly appreciated!
richard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #2

Maybe you have some rotting product stuck in the trap. Maybe try a flexible plastic drain cleaner ($2.00 at Lowes) it has plastic teeth that will grab and lossen most anything in a drain line. Hope this will help you out.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have a similar problem at times on the bathroom sink. I think what happens is the wind over the roof vent creates a low pressure in the tank which sucks some of the water out of the P trap allowing odors to come up from the tank. If that's the case just run the water to refill the P trap and see if it has an effect on the odor.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is a vent valve under the sink. There will be a plumbing vent valve for each sink, shower and washer. Very inexpensive, easy to replace and the most common cause of odor around the sink area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	checkvent1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	14467  
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Batman, good point. It's something the OP should check. I have one in the bathroom and still sometimes get the odor. I guess it could be defective.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #6

I'm guessing that under the sink you may have a one way valve on the vent line. They screw into the ABS sink at the top of the vent line. They can fail or get gunked up not allowing air in to vent the sink. If this occurs the trap will empty and gasses and odors from the holding tank come up through the sink trap into the living space.
Two things can help.... Clean out your sink holding tank using the geo method or buy some bacteria enzyme to chew away at the organic stuff in the tank that cause the odor The enzyme is available almose anywhere but have seen it at camping world. The second is check to see if you have a valve on thre top of the vent. If yes pull it off and inspect it. They are supposed to work by letting air into the pipe but not out of the pipe. If you do not have a valve and the pipe extends through to the roof, it may be clogged or an insect like mud dabbers have built a nest in it. I have also heard that sometimes during construction the vent line gets pushed down too far into the holding tank. If this occurs, the pipe will vent only until it's entrance in the tank gets covered with water. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yep... I purchased a vent, replaced it and still the same... The replacement was faulty.. Purchased another... No more problems.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I just took mine out and it "looked" ok. I think I'll buy another one to be sure.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #9

Thanks for the helpful ideas! One issue can be eliminated. That is, I have a direct vent to the outside wall. I will check out these solutions and post the results later. Thanks again for helping out a Jr.Member... this is a great site!
richard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #10

That reminds me of what happens when you have a garbage disposal and don't use enough flushing water. Not your problem though. I would try using that foaming drain cleaner to clean the "P" trap and pipe walls of grease and food particles it holds. It will not harm your plumbing,. I've used it a few times with positive results.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a similiar problem in our unit and purchased some drop in tablets for the grey tank cleaning. We purchased them at Camping World, they are next to the black tank cleaners, orange package. Sorry but I can't remember the name. Solved the problem.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #12

I ~think~ your talking about Elemonate Grey Water Tabs.

I use them whenever I am "holding" my grey water. Work great. Solved my problem, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elemonate.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	14556  
01zeosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #13

Copied from the Walex website: "Elemonate™! Elemonate is a Grey Water Deodorizer Rapid Dissolve Tablet with a unique compound of enzymes, odor control agents and biodegradable surfactants."
That seems expensive for what is basically an enzyme product, and odor masking agent.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote