Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

Exclamation Smelly water, but oddly enough

The only water faucet the sulpher smell comes from is when I turn on the hot water in the bathroom sink. No other faucet's water smells. I don't use the fresh water tank, as I'm hooked up to a water supply. Yes it is well water, but tasting the water from the tap ...no smell.

I've heard of some folks putting bleach and water in the grey tank and letting it set for 24 hours and then flushing.

I'm aware of flushing the whole water system, but again, I don't use (and never have) the fresh water holding tank. I flushed the HW tank a few months back and did not notice any smell and put in an new anode rod (which some folks believe causes the sulpher smell when they are allowed to break down to about 75%)

Any ideas? Seems odd only one faucet produces 'stinky' water.
paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #2

Flush your Hot Water tank & heater. Will likely fix the smell problem.

Reg
Old 02-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #3

Exclamation

thanks for responding...but as I stated in my post I just flushed my hot water heater.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #4

Suggestions -
Remove and clean the screen on the faucet.
Remove and clean the drain trap.
If the basin has an overflow opening clean that too.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #5

Sorry pati. Seem to have lost my ability to read as well as some of my mind as I get older.

Reg
Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
We also have well water at the house and in the summertime if I don't use the garden hose for a week or so the water in the hose will have that sulfer smell. This makes me think that your problem might be from untreated well water that has time to sit in your water heater for a while. I always drain my waterheater when it is not going to be in use for any period of time.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #7

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Had the same problem in one faucet in our '06 we bought used. Filled filter housing (w/o filter) with distilled vinegar, removed areator from faucet, ran faucet until vinegar is present, and shut off. Let set overnight and flushed out, quickly got a pop and something went down the drain. Continued to flush out vinegar. Next trip, problem solved, no more sulfur smell from the faucet. If you don't have the filter housing, fill a 50' hose with vinegar, do the drill. End of story.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paty View Post
The only water faucet the sulpher smell comes from is when I turn on the hot water in the bathroom sink. No other faucet's water smells. I don't use the fresh water tank, as I'm hooked up to a water supply. Yes it is well water, but tasting the water from the tap ...no smell.

I've heard of some folks putting bleach and water in the grey tank and letting it set for 24 hours and then flushing.

I'm aware of flushing the whole water system, but again, I don't use (and never have) the fresh water holding tank. I flushed the HW tank a few months back and did not notice any smell and put in an new anode rod (which some folks believe causes the sulpher smell when they are allowed to break down to about 75%)

Any ideas? Seems odd only one faucet produces 'stinky' water.
As others above have stated, it's coming from your hot water heater. There is a $9 tool from Camco which does a much better job flushing the minerals from your hot water heater. You'll be surprised how much more minerals you'll get out of your water heater. The hose may miss most of the minerals on the bottom of the heater.

If you can get some white vinegar into the top of your hot water heater, try that and then flush thoroughly. It cleans out the minerals like in your drip coffee maker.

If you use the bleach route, do not let the water sit in the system for more than 2-4 hours, and then flush thoroughly. The bleach is actually corrosive, and could cause some damage to your fresh water system if left sitting too long.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #9

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Owl View Post
Sorry pati. Seem to have lost my ability to read as well as some of my mind as I get older.

Reg
Happens to the best of us...those 'rolling brown-outs'.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #10

Put a carbon filter on the inlet water. It's sulfur from the well water
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
As others above have stated, it's coming from your hot water heater. There is a $9 tool from Camco which does a much better job flushing the minerals from your hot water heater. You'll be surprised how much more minerals you'll get out of your water heater. The hose may miss most of the minerals on the bottom of the heater.

If you can get some white vinegar into the top of your hot water heater, try that and then flush thoroughly. It cleans out the minerals like in your drip coffee maker.

If you use the bleach route, do not let the water sit in the system for more than 2-4 hours, and then flush thoroughly. The bleach is actually corrosive, and could cause some damage to your fresh water system if left sitting too long.
I was rather leery about using bleach.
Yes I have one of those flushing 'wands' and used it..but perhaps going the vinegar route might be wise. thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
Had the same problem in one faucet in our '06 we bought used. Filled filter housing (w/o filter) with distilled vinegar, removed areator from faucet, ran faucet until vinegar is present, and shut off. Let set overnight and flushed out, quickly got a pop and something went down the drain. Continued to flush out vinegar. Next trip, problem solved, no more sulfur smell from the faucet. If you don't have the filter housing, fill a 50' hose with vinegar, do the drill. End of story.
OK seems vinegar is the next step. thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlance View Post
We also have well water at the house and in the summertime if I don't use the garden hose for a week or so the water in the hose will have that sulfer smell. This makes me think that your problem might be from untreated well water that has time to sit in your water heater for a while. I always drain my waterheater when it is not going to be in use for any period of time.
I'm a fulltimer..working on my 4th year.

Yep well water..ok I was thinking since I tested at the outside faucet and didn't get that smell, that wasn't an issue. Thanks for the input!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #14

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Put a carbon filter on the inlet water. It's sulfur from the well water
Checked on Amazon..Camco has an inlet filter that comes with 2 filters.

Odd they don't offer the filters separate from the inlet hose, as that continues to be useable.

Tags
water