Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #1

Snap replacement on skirt

Hi, we just put a Buena Vista screen room on our fifth wheel. We had to put a skirt on the front so that we had a "wall" going all the way down since the skirt that comes with the screen room is only intended to cover up to about two feet from the ground. The problem is that the snaps on the skirt don't appear to be very good quality. When you pull the skirt to unhook it, the piece inside the head detaches from the cap and stays on the snap that is attached to the wall. Which makes it basically useless and means that we have to find a kit to replace the snaps on the skirt. Does anyone have any experience with snap kits and any recommendations? I have been able to find ones for fabric to fabric but nothing for the screw in snap that the skirt uses. The part that attaches to the fiberglass has a screw on it. I assume that I should replace both the screwed in piece and the cap that is on the skirt. I am afraid to buy the cap and not have it fit the screwed in part. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you Google 'snap fasteners' then click on 'Shopping' you will see snaps of all types and sizes plus kits to install them. You could also check in upholstery shops or suppliers or marine stores. I've used many styles in various projects, they are available. You could also use high strength velcro to reinforce areas where snaps are pulling off.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you Google 'snap fasteners' then click on 'Shopping' you will see snaps of all types and sizes plus kits to install them. You could also check in upholstery shops or suppliers or marine stores. I've used many styles in various projects, they are available. You could also use high strength velcro to reinforce areas where snaps are pulling off.
I think this is a good idea, velcro between snaps will hold their integrity longer.
I would get a set that could replace the original but I would only replace as the old wore out.
You may not have to replace more than 3-4 of them (those that are opened most) but since I am not 100% sure of the set up this may not be an option.

Hoping it adds to the possibilities however.

Any contact to the manufacturer or the place of purchase? they may have 'extras or a solution ....
Old 11-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Thank you for the ideas!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #5

It would help if you put a dab of Vaseline on the snap it helps lube the fasteners.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can get snap kits at Home Depot, Ace Hdwe or True Value.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
About 15 years ago I bought a Pres-N-Snap tool for setting snaps and grommets. It's one of those purchases I've never regretted. It will set virtually any commonly used snap or grommet. Kind of expensive, but it's been worth every cent I spent on it.

Pres-N-Snap - Marine Snap Installation Tool - YouTube
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
You can get snap kits at Home Depot, Ace Hdwe or True Value.
Thank you. Home Depot said they didn't have what we needed so we will try the others.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1985 View Post
It would help if you put a dab of Vaseline on the snap it helps lube the fasteners.
Well, since we had just installed it and the snaps broke on the first use, I think that it was just cheap materials used for the snaps. But we will use that tip on the remaining ones. Just not going to unsnap any more until we get a repair kit!

Tags
replace, replacement