Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
Solar for storage

Hey all,
New to your forum figured I'd ask... I store our Toy Hauler about 2-3 months at a time. In order to keep my batts up, (4 @ 6v) I have to hook up and drag it to a power source about once a month. I am now interested in doing a solar panel. I understand I will still have to top off the water, and if I get a controller panel that will not allow an overcharge all should be good, yes??
With this in mind can I get some feedback on the better units and were to buy. Seems panel construction is an constantly evolving thing I just hate to buy old technology.
Install is not an issue.

Thanks for your time and effort,

ffracer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chris, panel construction is fairly constant. I do see some rigs with small panels just for the purpose you describe, suction-cup mounted on the cap.

In the event that you want to go a less expensive route, consider installing a real battery disconnect and then the rig can sit for months.

Outside of that, adding panels and a "smart" charger and you're good.. Smart chargers will mean that you don't have to add water frequently.

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
I was looking at a Go Power GP-RV 160. Probably WAY more than what I need.
Is there a complete kit that has the "smart" charger and small solar panel + MC4 Cable that you mentioned... I would like it hard wired not a suction cup portable but more permanent. Maybe a brand you could recommend.
BTW Good call on the disconnect, I have a pergo switch that pulled off a boat that would be perfect!
Thank you,
Old 04-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I installed the GoPower 160 for my 2 6v golf cart batteries on my fiver back in December. My rig sets 3-6 weeks at a time between trips. Plus, I have a residential fridge that I needed to be able to run without draining the batteries down in the event of several hour stop overs while sight seeing. In addition, I wanted to be able to run the slides in and out at the storage lot or use the Big Foot leveling without draining the battery below 100% for running the fridge prior to leaving.
Result with the GoPower 160 with GoPower controller??? AWESOME. Very pleased and its doing just as I had hoped. The controller is a "smart controller" and can also charge 2 individual battery banks. Hope this helps.
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
2013 Chevy 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Jacksonville, FL
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
The GoPower 160 kit is a nice system, easily expandable to 500 watts in the future. GoPower is good stuff !!

Here are a few more options for you, a 100w kit is more than enough to keep your batteries topped up as described.....
BCRacing24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
If you are running Trojans or may want trojans in the future go with a controller that has adjustable voltage that goes to 14.8 volts. I would also go with temp compensation. I'm not running trojans but still charge at 14.8

If you just want your batteries to stay charged while stored get a blue seas battery disconnect. A fully charged battery will be fine for several months. Though you will never be sorry about having solar.
rjxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #7
Thanks so much for the input... Been doing my homework and the 14.8v is correct for the Trojans. I see the morningstar Tristar has the ability to do just that with dip switches. I also was interested in the Bogart Eng. 2030 series I will call them tomorrow and see if there unit is adjustable. For sure a temp sensor and a monitor to go with the charger and a shunt.
A buddy of mine gave me two panels there 45w 15v 3amp panels. For free it's great! The more I get into this the more I want to go big... Well not to big but I would like an expandable system.
My 4 6v batteries are getting old there Interstates so I am thinking now would be a good time to get the Trojans, not really sure which one's?

Thanks again,

storage, solar