Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #15

I just came from an RV Show. I saw a Dynamax Trilogy with 17.5" wheels with Goodyear 'H' rated tires, 8, 000lb axles. I looked at the 12" I-beam frame. It looked beefy to me. Anyway the show price was 70k. I thought this was the best unit at the show. A possible downside side is it has a built in 97 lb. propane tank.

Then I saw the Columbus by Palomino. These have 7, 000 lb.axles on their larger units. They seemed to offer a lot of nice features...like cell phone charging stations. Also they advertise good insulation R-values.They can be had for mid 40's.

Redwood, DRV, Montana, Excel would work.

I tow with a 2012 F-450. I am very impressed with the way it tows my 37 footer down the highway. Lots of power, goes up mountains at 65 no white knuckes what so ever.

Sounds like you are getting thrown into this.

Is that 80k for just the 5er or 5er and truck?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #16

I haven't seen this mentioned yet. Lifestyle RV, which is reborn from Carriage, may be worth a look.

Tim
TButterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #17

sorry, i am looking at around 80K for the 5er. I know a truck will run around another 50K give or take. thanks for the good info.
cameradude58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #18

You will be in good shape to buy a really nice rig. 80k trailer plus 50k truck. What time frame? The reason I ask is it is (in my opinion) best to wait as long as possible as all RV related things improve.

Latest is the Ram heavy duty trucks. They just improved the frame, engine, trans on the 3500. They upped the tow ratings. They are now probably the best available TV out there. Read about them on the Trucks forum. They added high strength steel and cross members. Ford and Chevy will have to follow or leap frog the Ram.

This is the season of RV shows. There are a lot of nice 5ers in the 60k to 70k range (show prices).

Have you looked at trucks yet? If not, you will be impressed how nice they are. They will ride good, better with the 5er attached.
You can not go wrong with 2011 or newer Ford, Chevy, or Ram. In 2011 all trucks were injected with steroids. Now Ram gave their truck another injection.

What part of the country are you in? And will you be chasing the sun?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #19

New Horizons Owners Club
First, let me say Welcome to the lifestyle.
We are also first time RVers as well as Full Timers, now since Sept/2011. After about 2 years of research and factory visits, we chose a New Horizons Majestic.
Rather than rehashing many arguments on this forum about warranties (many become null and void if unit used for full timing), frame construction, insulation, etc., you can read much that went through my mind at time time from our blog, Research , starting with Research page and then the Purchase page or start from the beginning
Home
After 18 months, I am still glad of our choice. No manufacturer is perfect and there will always be issues that need to be fixed and after sales support is critical when you are dealing with your 'house'. Our RV feels like home and that is probably one of the most important characteristics for a full time lifestyle.
And don't skimp on the truck. You have to be careful as in the event of an accident, many insurance companies will void your coverage if you are over any of the weight limits, GVWR, GCWR, Front GAWR or Rear GAWR.
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Let me NuWa to the mix. While they are currently on construction hiatis, they have many new and used units available. The used units have been reconditioned at the factory. The Discover America and Champagnes are built for full time use.
I would caution you though that any of the full time units will be heavy and you'll be looking at a one ton dually truck for your tow vehicle.

Bill
Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #21

Any thoughts on Heartland Big Country?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #22

Hitchhiker by NuWa. Great units. I'm biased too...
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #23

Appreciate all the good information. We are planning on going to a show in FEb. We are in Texas. We have visited some dealers just to see what we can see. We will be making a decision sometime this summer, as my job comes to an end and i go into "semi" retirement. How much we hit the road initially will be dependent on my wife's work plan. Eventually we will hit the road for points East, West, North and South. I appreciate all the good info and suggestions and will consider them all in my research. Nice to have a forum like this to refer too....

thanks
cameradude58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Excel's are fully warrented (2 years) for full time, four season use.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #25

Full-Timing is a term not easily defined. To some it may involve just a few moves per year. To others, living in an RV is full-timing. We, on the other hand were like gypsies. We moved around the country constantly for nearly five years. We often had close friends traveling with us in their own fifth wheel rig.

We went from a house with a pool, in a golf course community, to a 38’ fifth wheel hauled by a diesel dually truck. Our preparation time was about six months.

We knew we would be traveling in excess of 20,000 miles a year with the fiver in tow. That was the driving factor for the fiver. Seldom, if ever, does it have to be in a shop for servicing/repairs.

We have never dry camped or boon-docked. We were always weather followers. Warm in the winter and cool in the summer was our motto. We have always carried a little Honda 2000 generator and a 30 gallon “blue boy” (just in case). Loved southern Texas in the spring time, New England in the summer, and anywhere south where it’s warm and sunny in the winter.

There are so many 35 - 40 foot fivers very suitable for traveling like we did. It’s nearly impossible to recommend a half dozen over another half dozen. A big basement and nice cargo capacity - after add-ons - was very high on our list. We wanted a new truck and trailer. The dually was not on top of our truck list but quickly got there when looking at fiver weights. Both of our choices are still with us after 10 years. Our trailer had to have a washer/dryer. Once you get used to it you cant do without it. We upgraded our A/C to 15k instead of adding a second one. The very first thing to go was that awful mattress.

Kind of long winded so I’ll quit.

We still travel a couple time a year. Mostly south to FL in the winter and somewhere north in the hot summer months. The last time we went across country fuel was mostly $4.00 a gallon. If we were full-timing we would have to cut our miles in half and stay longer at each stop.

Coles Creek state park, up state NY, right on the St. Lawrence River.

NY_Coles_Creek_SP_on_the_St_Lawrence_River_-_4 - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #26

;Full timers insurance
:non-shucking hitch
:storage areas
:good R-values in the walls and slide-outs
:Stove vent on the opposite side from your outside lounging (hot)
:check what you can"get to" when the slide outs are "in" (fridge, bathroom, bed)
:may need to request a better mattress before the contract is signed.
:get 1 or 2 40lb. propane tanks for extended stay
:AND very important- find out just how well the springs and suspension are put on- you need heavy springs- not what they have on it. That will get you on down-all those freeways....
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #27

Just thinking... maybe they put these in the new Rvs, but I think they should have always been standard with the sale of any of them....a surge protector.
And a good power converter/w battery charger.
Am I thru?? ok- that's IT.
Happy Hunting! ;oD
Old 01-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I would add a leveling system to the mix.. my one regret in our 5er purchase...

we just went to the Fort Worth RV show and was seriously dissappointed with the lack of selection there...
will go back to the Dallas show February 21-24, 2013, it was great last year...
2013 RV Shows Camping Expos Sportsmen Outdoors