Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #1

Soon to be Full-Timer and first timer...

Hello! Due to changes coming in our careers, my wife and I are looking to convert to full-time RV'ers in the near future. We will also be first time RV'ers. My in-laws lived in a 5th wheel for some time, so we are a little familiar with the process. To make a long story short, I have been doing tons of research trying to find the ideal 5th wheel, and every time I think I find a possible winner, I find something that indicates its not necessarily a good choice. I was hoping you out there would throw some advice my way. Looking for something well-built, around 38 ft, budget around $80K give or take. Also, any basic advice on what brand of truck is the best for pulling a 5th wheel. I know this is open-ended, but at this point I am considering all options (5th wheel wise..) I thank you in advance for your help....

Mark
cameradude58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #2

I can tell you this - if you are full timing you want a well built unit. Of those, I would recommend DRV. If you contact Butch and Karen at RVsforLess in Knoxville, you will be surprised at what they can get you into a DRV 36 foot (actually 37 in length) for. You will be happy with a DRV, with Butch and Karen and with living in it full time, we do. I would suggest you get at least a F-450 for pulling, a 350 would most likely not be enough capacity. I have a 2008 F-450 and had the Weight-it team weigh my DRV and truck. I was pretty close to the limits and a 350 would have way over it's limits.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure more of our fiver experts will be along soon with suggestions for you.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #4

Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome Mark.

Our research has us leaning toward DRV. Its all about thefloor plan.

Best of Luck.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #6

I have looked at the DRV mainly the Elite Suites quite a few times, they have alot of good "nut and bolt" features my concern was was seemed to me to be 50/50 reviews from owners. When I ran across this Blog I was done with DRV. I have a 2013 Cedar Creek and I am always looking for something better. The thing is I have had mine nine months and pulled it about 12k miles, with my wife and three kids and had no problems except a few small things I could fix with a screw driver, I needed a few things and Cedar Creek was wonderful dealing with. For the dollar I cant see how Cedar Creek can be beat, a 1/2" more of insulation, heaver axels, disc brakes, 3" box frame dosent seem worth the HUGE difference to me. But each to there own
life2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
You can also check out New Horizon. They are built for fulltimers. They are custom built to your desires. They start with a basic floorplan and then you customize it the way you want. The Summit is supposed to start in the 80's while the Majestic is in the 100's. Again depends on floorplan and no I have no affiliation with them - just like them.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #8

I tried to do business with rvsforless. They offered me way under NADA value for my trade. They were low price but offsets that with your trade. They offered me only 15000 for my Mobile Suites. I contacted several other dealers and they offered me 31000 for mine. They were not 15000 higher either.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #9

thanks for the advice, especially the blog on DRV. would have never guessed.
cameradude58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by life2short View Post
I have looked at the DRV mainly the Elite Suites quite a few times, they have alot of good "nut and bolt" features my concern was was seemed to me to be 50/50 reviews from owners. When I ran across this Blog I was done with DRV.
Hmmmm.....we took delivery of our DRV Mobile Suites in August 2004. I can only say that our experience has nothing in common with the blogger you cite. Ours has been a solid, reliable unit that has had very few problems during our almost 8.5 years of ownership. At this point, I have no interest in looking at anything else - ours is still a reliable, comfortable unit in excellent condition. By the way, it's NEVER been back to the factory for anything.

I suppose one can find detractors for any brand, but it would be interesting to make a judgement based on hearing BOTH sides of his story.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Excel 5th wheel and Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel hands down. But then again I'm biased.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Hmmmm.....we took delivery of our DRV Mobile Suites in August 2004. I can only say that our experience has nothing in common with the blogger you cite. Ours has been a solid, reliable unit that has had very few problems during our almost 8.5 years of ownership. At this point, I have no interest in looking at anything else - ours is still a reliable, comfortable unit in excellent condition. By the way, it's NEVER been back to the factory for anything.

I suppose one can find detractors for any brand, but it would be interesting to make a judgement based on hearing BOTH sides of his story.

Rusty
I understand and agree, but like I said there seems to be 50/50 reviews from owners just yesterday a guy said that DRV wasn't helping with his leveling problem. I could't find these comments on the Cedar Creek and full timing with a family It's a big deal to take a rig in to get service. And like I said I liked the Elite Suites, they priced me out a loaded one with the options I have on my Cedar Creek for around 200k thats almost 4x what I paid for my CC, so for me I could't justify the difference and having to worry if I am going to have problems.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Your money, your choice. Good luck with whatever you wind up with.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler is coming out with a new Presidential that I talked to the designer and looked at real close that I think its going to be a great top selling rig, at a fare price. It has the better axles, frame, insulation to stop thermal bridging and others things.