Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclogger1 View Post
Interesting, I find that I actually need a #20 for my flatdeck trailer if it goes over 10,600 lbs. & my #51 does not cover it.
Bob
Sure is a bummer. ICBC told me the tests are the same but to take the #20 for heavy cargo trailer I need to have a heavy trailer to take the test. I was lucky to find out about the endorsement, no one told me when I bought the trailer or insured it.
But I do feel that we all need to have proper experience and licensing because there are folks out there driving these big rigs with little experience and being a hazard on the road.
Cheers
Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpurves

Sure is a bummer. ICBC told me the tests are the same but to take the #20 for heavy cargo trailer I need to have a heavy trailer to take the test. I was lucky to find out about the endorsement, no one told me when I bought the trailer or insured it.
But I do feel that we all need to have proper experience and licensing because there are folks out there driving these big rigs with little experience and being a hazard on the road.
Cheers
Chris
I finally have my license update for towing a house trailer or 5th wheel - any trailer without air brakes - after taking and passing the road test portion of the licensing g procedure. Ever since finding out about having to get the upgrade for my license I have been nervous every time I had to move our 5th wheel. I took the knowledge part of the test a couple of weeks ago and had to wait until yesterday to get an appointment for the road test portion and it would have been disastrous if I had failed as we are full-timers and were/are planning on leaving on Wednesday to begin our 6 month journey south.
I have spoken with numerous RV dealers and sales people who are unaware (or so they say) about having to have a licensing test to tow a trailer that weighs over 4600 kilograms or 10,120 pounds (loaded) and even a few of the agencies that sell ICBC insurance whose staff is unaware of the code 51 requirement (my own insurance agency included).
After doing some checking this law came into effect in 2003 and here we are 8 years later and the trailer towing public and the trailer selling dealers are woefully unaware. I intend to do some article writing on the subject to try and update those that do not know about it as well as contacting the BC RV dealers association to see if they can bring pressure to bear on ICBC to at least publish a brochure on what is needed to tow trailers and 5th wheels over 4600 kgs and to update their website to include a practice test that actually does contain some or all of the questions that are on the test.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #17

Trying to educate a salesman , would be like trying to herd cats. Good luck. RV Times has had articals and letters in regard to the required license every second month since I've been reading the magazine. I guess that even though it's free through any RV dealer, Overwaitea Food store and I got my latest copy at Lordco, that the salemen would rather play computer games than educate themselves, about the industry, I guess they figure that they will be back selling shoes next week so why bother ! Last RV sales person I delt with in BC , I had to explain CCC to her , and why I wouldn't buy a class A that had only 512lbs CCC. " But it's got all this fantastic hardwood and tile ! "
Captain , congrats on passing the test , Good Luck and , Safe travels. Skip.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426
Trying to educate a salesman , would be like trying to herd cats. Good luck. RV Times has had articals and letters in regard to the required license every second month since I've been reading the magazine. I guess that even though it's free through any RV dealer, Overwaitea Food store and I got my latest copy at Lordco, that the salemen would rather play computer games than educate themselves, about the industry, I guess they figure that they will be back selling shoes next week so why bother ! Last RV sales person I delt with in BC , I had to explain CCC to her , and why I wouldn't buy a class A that had only 512lbs CCC. " But it's got all this fantastic hardwood and tile ! "
Captain , congrats on passing the test , Good Luck and , Safe travels. Skip.
Thank you for the congrats Skip and I must agree with you about educating salespeople in the RV industry. Even the ICBC examiner who put me through my paces remarked about how few people knew about the upgraded license and thought that the dealers should do a better job of informing their potential customers about how some trailers and 5ers weigh more than a regular class 5 license will let them tow legally. But she (yes my examiner was a woman and a very knowledgable woman at that) was quick to point put that informing potential customers about this could cause a drop on sales and so they (the sales people) pretend that their is no need for a different license.
What I would be interested in hearing about is if anyone has encountered any difficulties with an ICBC or in fact any insurance company claim where they didn't have the required license.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #19

Hi, it's been a long time since my last post in here! As a JFYI, the 51 endorsement has been changed to 7, who knows why?

As far as the driver test examiners knowledge......I live in Kamloops BC and part of the drivers test was eastbound down the bypass, the speed limit there states, trucks 80KPH cars 90KPH, I asked if I was considered a truck or car.......the answer was ummmmmm........I don't know, I'll get back to you......that was in May 09, I've yet to hear a word.
Another show of the examiners lack of knowledge.......I'm NOT kidding on this, she asked what other vehicle we had and I told her DW had a Subaru SUV.....I was asked, again I'm not kidding....do you tow this 5th wheel with as well?

Terry
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote