Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #1

Special License - New info for an old thread

I Have been following up on the special license that is required for towing trailers and 5th wheels here in British Columbia, Canada and have found out a few things.
One is that the practice test that ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) has on-line for you to use prior to actually taking the in office test for towing trailers and 5ers does not have any towing questions on it but rather contains just the regular questions that people need to know prior to taking their regular driver's license test. Nothing about GVW etc - so basically not worth a darn. ICBC gives out an RV Towing guide that contains all of the information needed to pass the test and is quite comprehensive.
Two - ICBC has not a d is not going out of it's way to inform it's agents around the province that a special license (called a class 51) is needed and in fact my own insurance agent and his staff knew nothing about it. ICBC is also not forthcoming on letting the people towing that they need this special license - BUT if you crash they will disallow your claim if you do not have a class 51 license.
Captain Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #2

Sorry for some of the spelling errors etc. In my previous post as it got sent prior to editing.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #3

I don't know if this was already discussed, but in Ontario, as of July 1st this year, no A license is required to tow over 10,000 lbs for recreational use. Prior to that a class A permit was required.

Peter
Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #4

Sounds like another way for the government to collect more fees/revenue.
Blaster 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #5

Captain, the same applies for the air brake endorcement, the person selling you the trailer, or air brake equiped coach , or the one selling you the insurance, is not required to warn/explain the requirements, for the insurance to be in effect. Of course the sales person was working at Walmart last week.Up to you to know the law.
Kelowna- lived there for 55 years; they wouldn't name a street after me so I left town!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #6

Hi Skip:
I wrote to ICBC asking them about their on-line practise tests and I heard back from them today. They basically said that they know but are not going to do anything about it.
Those of us who tow trailers or 5ers need to make sure we have all the up to dater info regarding licensing as well as insurance.
The office where I get my insurance did not know about the Class 51 endorsement but I bet if I had a claim prior to me getting it they would know enough to void my claim.
You are totally right it really comes down to CYA - (cover your donkey) when it comes to insurance.
On another topic - do you ever get back to Kelowna or you away for good?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #7

Captain, we hit Kelowna 3 times a year; family and friends;looking forward to my 45th grad reunion, next summer. There were 5,000 people in Kelowna when my family moved there, 900 in Rutland. I's changed a bit; and not for the better. MHO.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Captain, we hit Kelowna 3 times a year; family and friends;looking forward to my 45th grad reunion, next summer. There were 5,000 people in Kelowna when my family moved there, 900 in Rutland. I's changed a bit; and not for the better. MHO.
It has definitely changed and in many ways you are right that it has not hanged for the better. Too bad we have a short sighted Mayor and city council that are holding back improvements.
We too have had enough of Kelowna (my wife's family lived over by Gorman's mill when it was just orchard and forest) and are heading for greener pastures.
Hope that all is well with you and yours.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #9

I looked into the B.C. requirements. Seems that I would need a code 7 endorsement to pull a travel trailer over 4600kg, 10,000lb, and this is for travel trailers and recreational fivers only. No toy haulers or horse trailers with living quarters.
For those I would need to get a code 20 heavy trailer endorsement which allows me to pull any trailer as long as it is not equipped with air brakes. I am still limited to a two axle tow vehicle with a class 5. Why would they not combine the two? Put air brakes on the trailer now I need a class 1.
I have spent a lot of time in Kelowna, grew up north of Vernon, and like you have seen it grow from a sleepy orchard and mill community to a major center with all the traffic and other issues. Beautiful area but I don't want to live there.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #10

BC #51 endorsement

I have found that Richmond B.C. Public Library has a very good online test question page for the #51 endorsement, much better than ICBC if you wish to practice. I have the license, my wife had the learners permit but couldn't get an appointment this summer for the road test. Her permit expired, she went in to write again & failed it, first time she got 97%, the second exam was about gvw's & how to mount your hitch etc.
Bob
wclogger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclogger1
I have found that Richmond B.C. Public Library has a very good online test question page for the #51 endorsement, much better than ICBC if you wish to practice. I have the license, my wife had the learners permit but couldn't get an appointment this summer for the road test. Her permit expired, she went in to write again & failed it, first time she got 97%, the second exam was about gvw's & how to mount your hitch etc.
Bob
Thanks for that interesting bit of information. The huge corporation that is ICBC has not got the time or incentive to post a real online test for Evers but a public library outdoes them. Good to know and I will be passing that info along.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #12

ICBC, can't even have a program written that would RED flag your insurance as the agent is writing it up. Simple enough, they know what your licenced for and what your trying to insure, if there are any issues they should flash up on screen, so the agent can ask, and inform you right away.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426
ICBC, can't even have a program written that would RED flag your insurance as the agent is writing it up. Simple enough, they know what your licenced for and what your trying to insure, if there are any issues they should flash up on screen, so the agent can ask, and inform you right away.
I wish that they would do something like that. I bet it wouldn't take them long to Find out that a person didn't have the right license and cancel their insurance if they had a crash while towing their trailer.
Sadly as the ICBC person told me "ignorance is no excuse" and we all need to do our own due diligence to make sure that we are totally covered rather than relying on our insurance agent.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #14

I would think it would be great if the agent even asked if you had the endorsement. Although when I renewed mine this year the agency( Hub Barton) in Kamloops did have a sign on the wall with info about the endorsement. Interesting, I find that I actually need a #20 for my flatdeck trailer if it goes over 10,600 lbs. & my #51 does not cover it.
Bob
wclogger1 is offline   Reply With Quote