Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #1

Splitter?

I'm trying to get Dircetv set up in my ragen fifth wheel but they say I have to find splitter because there not allowed to take things apart. Does anyone have Ideas where I should Look I know what it looks like cant find?
overodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #2

The first place to check in in the wall behind the outlet box for cable connections. Remove the outlet from the wall to look for it. The reason the splitter needs to be removed or changed is because it will not allow voltage to pass to operate your remote antenna. When you find the splitter just replace it with one that is 5mhz to 2.4ghz. You can find them at a big box store (Lowes/Home Depot). Look for an Ideal brand model #85-333, cost is $7 for a 2 or 3 way splitter. A 4 way costs a couple dollars more. Go to the homedepot.com web site and search Ideal 85-333 to get an idea of what one looks like.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #3

Found one

Well I opened the one in the upstair bedroom found cable had been cut and poorly put back together and taped Now I wonder was one cut out of there? I did buy my unit used? I have one more to look on the outside cable connection.
overodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #4

Man oh man - direct tv's right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I had almost the same problem finally was able to get a independent TV installer to hook my RV up correctly Direct TV told me they did not do RVs. This was after they leased me the DirecTV receiver box for an RV!
Let me let you in on another secret, I could not get my receiver to work for three or four outings as we are only weekenders at this time and finally I called DirecTV and ask them why I had a problem everywhere I was going even though I had a clear view to the south east. Well guess what if you do not use the receiver for any period of time over 30 days you have to call DirecTV and let them know
that they need to re-activate your system this is something they do not tell you and you end up paying for months when you're not using it also you can suspend your monthly fee and save money doing it

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
raiderray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderray View Post
Man oh man - direct tv's right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I had almost the same problem finally was able to get a independent TV installer to hook my RV up correctly Direct TV told me they did not do RVs. This was after they leased me the DirecTV receiver box for an RV!
They don't install in RV's not that they don't let you use their service. We just take two of our Direct SD receivers with us when we go. That is allowed under Direct TV's service agreement.
Our Magna came with two Direct HD receivers and we do own them, trying to decide whether to upgrade the home service and use them inside it. Cost is only $10 a month more but we've been watching SD since TV first came out and I'm not sure the cost is worth it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #6

Dish also goes dormant if you let it set with the power off/satellite put away longer than about 30 days, and you have to go thru the update process, so that's not exclusive to Direct.
And I believe that there cannot be any type of splitter between the sat and the receiver, at least on Dish setups. I had to pull a splitter off that was located just behind the outlet where the sat/cable connections are.
And if you don't have some sort of problem with reception every so often, you are really living right...
Check out the technology section on this forum--should be lots of Direct info there.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #7

DirecTV has a smart phone app or sign on to your account for re-activating your receiver.

No customer service to wait for, just pick the receiver not working and click activate.

I do it every 6 months when I jump ship for the MH.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote