Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #1

Spring 5th wheel repairs about done.

We bought our 5th wheel in the fall of 2010. Had many small issues like... Pink carpet, now brown. Pair of twin beds, now a full size. Previous owner jack-knifed or hit something, now it's covered with aluminum diamond plate. Three brakes had parts flopping around inside them, now four new assemblies with all new bearing and seals. Had 15 inch tires (3 load range D and 1 load range C), now like new 245/75/16 E truck tires. Roof got coated with EPDM top coat. Fridge was questionable last year, installed 12 volt fan inside and 120 volt above it in the rear. also found a rotten 2x2 behind right tire, now treated copy of original. Lost our awning in a NC storm last June, now new 25' dark green and teal Carefree awning. Painted burgandy stripe dark green with small teal pinstripes. Lot of work to put into a 19 year old $1,500 trailer but I've learned alot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kotage  jack-knife damage.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	21473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kotage right side.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	21474  

Name:	Kotage left side.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	21475  
82packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I had pink carpeting, too. After I removed some cabinets I found out it was originally plum. I too have brown (beige) carpet now, installed with tack strips instead of staples. I also covered some damage the previous owner inflicted on the fiver with strips of diamond plate. Ditto on the rotted wood framing, now replaced at the front and rear of the fiver.

Amazing how great minds think alike. Happiness is having a rig you enjoy, even more happiness when you don't have to write a check for a RV payment because you own your rig free and clear.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
I had pink carpeting, too. After I removed some cabinets I found out it was originally plum. I too have brown (beige) carpet now, installed with tack strips instead of staples. I also covered some damage the previous owner inflicted on the fiver with strips of diamond plate. Ditto on the rotted wood framing, now replaced at the front and rear of the fiver.

Amazing how great minds think alike. Happiness is having a rig you enjoy, even more happiness when you don't have to write a check for a RV payment because you own your rig free and clear.
That's funny, under the beds it was plum. My wife bought first truck camper for $125 off ebay. Then completely went through the inside and played with the outside. So we are moving up the food chain....SLOWLY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	somer kotage original.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	21480  
82packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82packer View Post
We bought our 5th wheel in the fall of 2010. Had many small issues like... Pink carpet, now brown. Pair of twin beds, now a full size. Previous owner jack-knifed or hit something, now it's covered with aluminum diamond plate. Three brakes had parts flopping around inside them, now four new assemblies with all new bearing and seals. Had 15 inch tires (3 load range D and 1 load range C), now like new 245/75/16 E truck tires. Roof got coated with EPDM top coat. Fridge was questionable last year, installed 12 volt fan inside and 120 volt above it in the rear. also found a rotten 2x2 behind right tire, now treated copy of original. Lost our awning in a NC storm last June, now new 25' dark green and teal Carefree awning. Painted burgandy stripe dark green with small teal pinstripes. Lot of work to put into a 19 year old $1,500 trailer but I've learned alot.
A 19 year old RV for $15,000 --With the repairs you had to do --I think you got a real bargon. From the pictures it really does not show it's age. I have over $50,000 in our 5er and do not sleep any better in it then you do in yours.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #5

For $1500 you got a 5'er to camp in..
We bought our CarriLite off E-bay for $6000, it had sat in the south FL sun for 16 yrs.
With a little bit of elbow grease and determination its amazing how good these old rigs can look!
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #6

Good looking rig. The green stripe is a nice touch.
Ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #7

Your Rig LOOKS GREAT!!!!! You did a wonderful job fixing the area's that were damaged and I am sure the inside looks much better with the upgrades.

You know so many people are skeptical of buying an older rig and transforming it. Some people just feel comfortable with new or new used.

I am more like you. I looked over my rig when I went to buy it. It is older a 2000, but had nothing wrong with it other than an outdated interior.

I suggest to anyone wanting to buy a 5th wheel for the first time to try and find one in the private market. The owners of my rig were in a bad way with the housing crash. They were getting rid of all the toys they could not afford because they lost their home. the economy is bad. Not many people can afford to 5th wheel right now.

I picked my rig up for a song and dance. $6000. The people were desperate to sell. That was the price they were asking.

Craigslist and private classifieds are the way to go if you are looking for a good deal. Granted you have to inspect every square inch of a used rig to be sure there are no issues. But if you do your homework you can walk away with a good deal savings thousands of $$$$$

That is what you did and it looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't you give $6000 for this?????
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07523.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	21805  
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs