Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 07:43 AM   #15

Yes
All of the above Plus Overloaded for the speed driven and the pounding the passengers side of vehicles, trailers take.

One good bounce by an overloaded suspension from a porthole at speed can destroy tires, spindles, axles , wheels or springs, spring hangers.

Its not uncommon to need to upgrade the axles, suspension, brakes and tires.

And thats what custom builders like
Spacecraft do Standard.
Think of the Newmar fifthwheel's with twin dual wheeled axles and Disc brakes. The days of Quality out the door.

Are no more.

In my opinion, 60 mph is max safe speed for these beasts. As they come standard from the manufacturer with the roads we deal with and travel today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwhitten View Post
I know they shouldn't be flat like that, what are some reasons why they would go flat like that. Bad roads, pot holes, bent axle. Im trying to find the reason why so it doesn't happen again
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 08:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
You may have just a defective spring, perhaps poor heat treating or even no heat treat.
This is a distinct possibility. The not so obvious thing about leaf springs (and other types, for that matter) is that the spring rate of a steel spring only depends on the geometry. Number of leaves, length, width, and thickness of each leaf. But weak steel, with a low yield strength, will permanently deform at a lower load than the same stack made with a higher strength steel, all other things being equal.

So going to a thicker stack to compensate for sagged springs will result in a stiffer ride, which is not desirable. But if the problem is poor quality steel and/or improper or inadequate heat treatment, a better quality spring with the same geometry (same spring rate) will solve the problem. Assuming that’s the problem, of course, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it is.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
This is a distinct possibility. The not so obvious thing about leaf springs (and other types, for that matter) is that the spring rate of a steel spring only depends on the geometry. Number of leaves, length, width, and thickness of each leaf. But weak steel, with a low yield strength, will permanently deform at a lower load than the same stack made with a higher strength steel, all other things being equal.

So going to a thicker stack to compensate for sagged springs will result in a stiffer ride, which is not desirable. But if the problem is poor quality steel and/or improper or inadequate heat treatment, a better quality spring with the same geometry (same spring rate) will solve the problem. Assuming that’s the problem, of course, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it is.
You also have to remember that most axles and springs on today's trailers are just barely rated for their loads. So going to a heavier spring does not always equate to a stiffer ride.
2psnapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #18

KZ RV Club
I have a 2019 KZ Durango Gold 380FLF bought August 2018. If you are within a year or so and find it’s defective you might reach out to KZ customer service indicating that (if true) your not overweight and spring failed. If nothing else they may pay for parts and you pay labor?? As this was originally defective. I’ve had each wheel position weighed and mine is well within max axle and under max gross weight. I am having problems with brakes not being sufficient even with new brakes 2000 miles ago in August 2019.
In early August we made a trip to KZ for service and their attitude of making/fixing trailer back to the way it left factory was very evident. A great team of service techs, but they can’t fix under sized brakes or poor brakes as that’s the way they are sent out.
Regards Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:06 PM   #19

I would swing for the fences & see if the manufacturer will fix this. You paid way too much money for something like this to already happen!
Old 11-28-2019, 09:31 PM   #20

KZ RV Club
Quote:
2018 Durango gold 5th wheel, driving back from west virginia noticed leaning. Springs on passenger side, both axles, flattened out. Not that many miles on it yet for them to give out this early. Dont know why? Bent axle? Alignment? Too much air in bags on truck causing bouncing on bad roads? Anyone else have issue with springs.Any input would be great..pictures are flattened spring and comparison of clearance from good side to bad side. Attachment 268083Attachment 268084Attachment 268085
KZ has a 2 year warranty. If it's still active, hie thyself to a KZ dealer or, if one's not convenient, call KZ and get them to approve a mobile repair to fix it under warranty. While springs can be re-arched, it's likely much better to buy a new set of U.S. made springs all around. Don't mix 'n match!

Lyle
Old 11-28-2019, 10:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
KZ has a 2 year warranty. If it's still active, hie thyself to a KZ dealer or, if one's not convenient, call KZ and get them to approve a mobile repair to fix it under warranty. While springs can be re-arched, it's likely much better to buy a new set of U.S. made springs all around. Don't mix 'n match!

Lyle
Thanks for the input. Actually when I noticed the leaning of the 5th wheel it had been 2 years when they totally flattened out.Stuck in another state needing to get home I had new springs on the one side put on by a smaller r v shop the next day. Still don't know why they went flat in the first place. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_082320.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	268193Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_082311.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	268194Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_165642.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	268195
hdwhitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski37 View Post
I have a 2019 KZ Durango Gold 380FLF bought August 2018. If you are within a year or so and find it’s defective you might reach out to KZ customer service indicating that (if true) your not overweight and spring failed. If nothing else they may pay for parts and you pay labor?? As this was originally defective. I’ve had each wheel position weighed and mine is well within max axle and under max gross weight. I am having problems with brakes not being sufficient even with new brakes 2000 miles ago in August 2019.
In early August we made a trip to KZ for service and their attitude of making/fixing trailer back to the way it left factory was very evident. A great team of service techs, but they can’t fix under sized brakes or poor brakes as that’s the way they are sent out.
Regards Ron
Thanks for responding. It is just over 2 years when I notice the flattened springs on the one side. Still not many towable miles since purchase in mid August, 2017..4 to 5000 miles I guess. I had to get them replaced to get home, $500 . I'm taking it to camping world where I live on tuesday for just a basic look over.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
I would swing for the fences & see if the manufacturer will fix this. You paid way too much money for something like this to already happen!
I try to go thru kz or dexter axles and springs? It's been 2 years when they totally flattened out.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Usually axles are on top of the springs. Did you flip your axles? It shouldn't matter for the spring load though, they shouldn't be flat like that.

Most larger trailers have the springs over the axle now . My 13 came that way.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #25

You can get new springs on E trailer also.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2psnapod View Post
You also have to remember that most axles and springs on today's trailers are just barely rated for their loads. So going to a heavier spring does not always equate to a stiffer ride.
Agree with the first part, but not clear on the second. A stiffer spring is, by definition, stiffer (higher force required for a given deflection), and higher rated leaf springs are generally stiffer. That means a rougher ride than the softer spring will give. That also means the axle, wheel, tire, bearings, and frame and house will experience higher forces on bumps in comparison to the originals.

But a poorly made spring of the same spring rate will fail (permanent deformation) at a lower force value, which is what I suspect happened here.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Agree with the first part, but not clear on the second. A stiffer spring is, by definition, stiffer (higher force required for a given deflection), and higher rated leaf springs are generally stiffer. That means a rougher ride than the softer spring will give. That also means the axle, wheel, tire, bearings, and frame and house will experience higher forces on bumps in comparison to the originals.

But a poorly made spring of the same spring rate will fail (permanent deformation) at a lower force value, which is what I suspect happened here.
I was meaning that because the axles and springs on most trailers today are under sized, meaning it should have come with a larger spring in the first place. So the add capacity is what it really should have had when built.
2psnapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #28

Quote:
2018 Durango gold 5th wheel, driving back from west virginia noticed leaning. Springs on passenger side, both axles, flattened out. Not that many miles on it yet for them to give out this early. Dont know why? Bent axle? Alignment? Too much air in bags on truck causing bouncing on bad roads? Anyone else have issue with springs.Any input would be great..pictures are flattened spring and comparison of clearance from good side to bad side. Attachment 268083Attachment 268084Attachment 268085
O.k..dont know if it was like this before the original set of springs flattened or not but noticed about 1 inch difference in tire gap on the passenger side compared to the good side. Is that why the equa flex equalizer is tilting at about 2 oclock and 8 oclock instead of 12 and 6, straight up and down. Trailer leaning still. Out of alignment? Bent axle ? Would that cause spring failure or just tire wear. Haven't driven it enough to notice tire wear I dont think.