Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #1

Spring issue

2018 Durango gold 5th wheel, driving back from west virginia noticed leaning. Springs on passenger side, both axles, flattened out. Not that many miles on it yet for them to give out this early. Dont know why? Bent axle? Alignment? Too much air in bags on truck causing bouncing on bad roads? Anyone else have issue with springs.Any input would be great..pictures are flattened spring and comparison of clearance from good side to bad side. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_165642.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	268083Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_165536.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	268084Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_165553.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	268085
hdwhitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Overloaded ? The larger models can hold 1500 lbs of water in the fresh,grey,and black tanks with around only 2500 lbs of total cargo capacity. Doesn't take much to take up that remaining 1000 lbs.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #3

No water in it.yes it's a heavy camper with the underbelly full of stuff which is closer to the hitch then the axles. That side of camper is 2 recliners and kitchen table, washer and dryer in front of axles. If its overloaded why are the other springs fine..pot hole? Bad roads?
Old 11-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #4

Sadly I believe that a lot of units come with just adequate suspension. I'd head to a spring shop and get a set of springs built for that side. The other may be okay, or not. They are not terribly expensive.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #5

Usually axles are on top of the springs. Did you flip your axles? It shouldn't matter for the spring load though, they shouldn't be flat like that.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Usually axles are on top of the springs. Did you flip your axles? It shouldn't matter for the spring load though, they shouldn't be flat like that.
These days, most come over slung.
2psnapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Sadly I believe that a lot of units come with just adequate suspension. I'd head to a spring shop and get a set of springs built for that side. The other may be okay, or not. They are not terribly expensive.
This is so true. Just do the math. Most axles are just barely large enough for today's trailer.
2psnapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
So you think it's just an overload issue. If I get a higher rated spring put on now im overloading the axle rating. Right? 7000 lb axle. Or is going over the axle rating a little not an issue...so this doesn't happen from a bent axle or pot holes, bad roads ?
Old 11-27-2019, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I know they shouldn't be flat like that, what are some reasons why they would go flat like that. Bad roads, pot holes, bent axle. Im trying to find the reason why so it doesn't happen again
Old 11-28-2019, 01:27 AM   #10

Your springs are not worn out, unless a leaf or 2 is cracked.

Did you look at the other spring on that side ? It may be cracked, leaving the one in the picture overloaded.

There may be just to much weight on them. Did it look like that new ?

Can you unload the RV and see if it levels out ?

Have you had it weighed ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:01 AM   #11

Like everything the steel or the spring come from China and we know about them.If the spring brake will do more damage .A more expensive fix is replace the spring with Moryde IS.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwhitten View Post
I know they shouldn't be flat like that, what are some reasons why they would go flat like that. Bad roads, pot holes, bent axle. Im trying to find the reason why so it doesn't happen again

Being made from spring steel, they should not be permanently bent. Like other's said, take the load off and see if they spring back (jack the trailer up) . When my flat bed trailer springs look that flat, it was only because they were overloaded. I would find a local spring/trailer shop and get their opinion. Also, get the trailer axles weighed on a scale.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since most TT's are built on the edge of destruction why would you be surprised? Barely enough tire load capacity to carry the weight safely. Often no shocks. Sometimes but not always self adjusting brakes. JMHO!!

Why sagging springs?? Poor quality control. I've been around vehicles my entire life and sagging springs is a rare occurrence. Often times it's good one day and sagging the next. I'm not a metallurgist so can't answer why it happens sometime in a few days but it does.

We parked out 1978 23' Tioga MH in winter 1980 storage. Came back in the spring and it had a 2" sag. Installed a 2" block under the sagging side and it was fine. That fixed the sag but not the weaker spring. We traded the MH in the mid 1980's and it was still the same. It drove and rode as it always had.

As suggested if you plan on keeping it get it to a quality spring shop and have it fixed correctly. The manufacturer should step up but that's way to much to expect. They will tell you it was overloaded and your fault. As stated if the spring is still good it should spring back into place.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #14

You may have just a defective spring, perhaps poor heat treating or even no heat treat. Like twinboat said check the other spring for problems. If this turns out to be the only bad spring then I would just replace that spring. If it happens again then an upgrade in springs would be in order. Certainly a pothole could of caused the damage. Obviously if you are overloaded then that could be the issue.. Have you weighed the trailer? If not then do so, and if possible get separate weights for each side.