Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

Springdale Keystone

I have been looking at one of these, model 245, it's a 2006. Does anyone have any experience - good or bad - with these units? The one I found looks really clean and lightly used. I know it's not top of the line, but it is in my price range.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #2

Personally, Keystone is pretty cheaply put together, but that's what they do. If it's what you want, get it.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Keystone makes four different "qualities" of fifth wheel RVs. Standard, Select, Premium, and Luxury. The Springdale is the bottom of the line, in the "standard" column.
Keystone RV, then click on "fifth wheels".

But that just means the cabinets, countertops, fixtures, floors, mattress, lights, maybe some appliances such as radio, will be "economy" grade. Nothing wrong with that, if it's good enough for you. It will probably last as long as the higher-quality RVs, it just won't have the extras such as the fancy countertops that are in some of the fancier 5ers.

My last two RV trailers were one step above the standard or "economy" grade. We didn't need any better cabinets or countertops or fixtures in our camper. But the mattress had to go. The first thing we did was throw away the cheap mattress and replace it with a Serta Eurotop, similar to our mattress in our home. Sam's Club sells those to members for around $400 to $500, and they go for around double that in a nice furniture store.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #4

Is this sprinter being sold by a private Owner or Dealer?
Just make sure you inspect it really good, suspension and for leaks in the overhead behind the cabnets. Do you know anyone who owns a fiver. If you do, see if they have the time go with you to inspect, that way you can see what they look for. Check everything.
This is the way to go at first when buying for the first time. Get a older model at first then you can move up later. I am in the same boat as you. I can't get my Fifth Wheel until i get off this Island. I am looking into a three or four year old Nuwa 31' to 34'.
Good Luck
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #5

[QUOTE=SmokeyWren;1548714]Keystone makes four different "qualities" of fifth wheel RVs. Standard, Select, Premium, and Luxury. The Springdale is the bottom of the line, in the "standard" column.
Keystone RV, then click on "fifth wheels".

But that just means the cabinets, countertops, fixtures, floors, mattress, lights, maybe some appliances such as radio, will be "economy" grade. Nothing wrong with that, if it's good enough for you. It will probably last as long as the higher-quality RVs, it just won't have the extras such as the fancy countertops that are in some of the fancier 5ers.

Hi -

Thanks for that clarification - from what I saw, the cabinetry and counters are fine for me - and they're in great shape. The only drawback I saw with it was that I didn't like the upholstery on the sofa - gray with pink flowers. But I could learn to live with it, I guess. It did seem pretty clean, inside and out. I dragged a friend up to look at it and he looked it over pretty good, even underneath, and didn't find anything wrong with it.

I'm still looking though, just in case......

Betty
Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty14 View Post
Is this sprinter being sold by a private Owner or Dealer?
Just make sure you inspect it really good, suspension and for leaks in the overhead behind the cabnets. Do you know anyone who owns a fiver. If you do, see if they have the time go with you to inspect, that way you can see what they look for. Check everything.
This is the way to go at first when buying for the first time. Get a older model at first then you can move up later. I am in the same boat as you. I can't get my Fifth Wheel until i get off this Island. I am looking into a three or four year old Nuwa 31' to 34'.
Good Luck

Hi - I've already had a friend go over this pretty good, and if I decide, we'll both go back and go over it again. It's at a dealer, don't know if that's good or bad, but I always check things out for myself - I did find rotted wood inside one cabinet in another 5th that I liked, but that killed that idea - it wasn't as nice as this either.

What island are you on? In the Caribbean? I lived down there for 10 years on a sailboat - just loved it. Now I'm planning another type of cruising around......
Old 05-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #7

Sloopygirl,
Thats great you've already inspected good deal. As far as dealers go, its no big deal. Just remember. The Salesman is there just to sell Trailers, so they may not give you all the details you want. I am sure you know what to do. I am located on Oahu Hawaii, working at Pearl Harbor Shipyard repairing Navy ships, after retiring from the Navy. There are no Rv's in Hawaii not even Truck Campers. Good Luck and happy travels.
Scott
Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty14 View Post
Sloopygirl,
Thats great you've already inspected good deal. As far as dealers go, its no big deal. Just remember. The Salesman is there just to sell Trailers, so they may not give you all the details you want. I am sure you know what to do. I am located on Oahu Hawaii, working at Pearl Harbor Shipyard repairing Navy ships, after retiring from the Navy. There are no Rv's in Hawaii not even Truck Campers. Good Luck and happy travels.
Scott

Funny thing - I poked around in this unit and then dragged a friend up the next week to look at it again - for quite a while. In either case, no salesperson came out and tried to talk us into it - what a great way to check it out!

There are worse places to be stuck in than Hawaii - enjoy while you can!

I have to sell my sailboat, car and house before I can get this show on the road. I'm getting antsy the more I do research. Guess I stayed here too long.....

Good luck getting back to the States and getting on the road.

Betty