Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #1

Question SRW and Toy Hauler Compatibility???

Ok...I have One Ton Chevy Diesel SRW...tows great!

We decided we want a CanAm Side by Side for Full Time Living. Anyone towing a Smaller Toy Hauler with a SRW Diesel???

OR....

How about those Swivel Wheel Trailers I'm seeing more of with the Toys on them...golf carts, side by sides and the such!

Looking for our "TOWING OPTIONS" for our not-yet-bought CanAm!!! Keeping in mind that we have a SRW.....

Any ideas?????

Thanks all!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #2

It all boils down to which if any weight ratings you want to adhere to. Myself, I have a 2013 F350 and the largest I would go would be one with an maximum 3000# pin weight. With my truck weighing appx 8800# puts me slightly over my gvw of my truck. There are those that would rather go by axle and tire ratings as the rating is higher. Again, I feel in society today too many unscrupulous people/lawers to take the chance. YMMV.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #3

Any 5th wheel in the 14-15k gvwr range your ok. They will have around 2700-3200# pin weight. Anything bigger and a dually should be required. This is pretty standard.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinklerdude View Post
It all boils down to which if any weight ratings you want to adhere to. Myself, I have a 2013 F350 and the largest I would go would be one with an maximum 3000# pin weight. With my truck weighing appx 8800# puts me slightly over my gvw of my truck. There are those that would rather go by axle and tire ratings as the rating is higher. Again, I feel in society today too many unscrupulous people/lawers to take the chance. YMMV.
Thanks Mr. Sprinkler.... I agree with your statements... I want to stay "legal".

For me, the true Toy Haulers pretty much eliminate the "homey feel" of a Fifth Wheel which is why I'm also considering a Swivel Wheel Trailer....seems that would help in lowering Pin Weight a bit???

Old 12-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Any 5th wheel in the 14-15k gvwr range your ok. They will have around 2700-3200# pin weight. Anything bigger and a dually should be required. This is pretty standard.
I agree on the 15k GVWR FOR SURE!!! I'm one of those wierd ones that WANTto tow WITHIN LIMITS!!!

I don't know of any Toy Haulers that have 15k GVWR's though!

Thanks for your response.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

Now there's another thread on here now that is saying that "all toy haulers " are basically "JUNK"!!!

Man, ya just can't win!!!

Old 12-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
I agree on the 15k GVWR FOR SURE!!! I'm one of those wierd ones that WANTto tow WITHIN LIMITS!!!

I don't know of any Toy Haulers that have 15k GVWR's though!

Thanks for your response.

There are plenty. Basically anything in the 35-37ft range and 2 axels will meet the criteria. 3 axels and 38-45ft gets out of the SRW world
Old 12-29-2018, 09:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Now there's another thread on here now that is saying that "all toy haulers " are basically "JUNK"!!!

Man, ya just can't win!!!
The factories in Indiana leave a lot on the table thats for sure. Be it toyhauler/ motorhome or regular rv trailer...there is alot to be desired now days.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
The factories in Indiana leave a lot on the table thats for sure. Be it toyhauler/ motorhome or regular rv trailer...there is alot to be desired now days.
CANNOT ARGUE that fact EITHER Mr. Card!!!

Old 12-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #10

I've got a 5x8 swivel wheel and carry about 900 pounds on it. Takes about 3-400 pounds off the pin weight of the trailer, which is good for us. I don't know how much the CanAm weighs, so hope that helps.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I've got a 5x8 swivel wheel and carry about 900 pounds on it. Takes about 3-400 pounds off the pin weight of the trailer, which is good for us. I don't know how much the CanAm weighs, so hope that helps.
CanAm is about 1,300 pounds....where did you find your swivel trailer? I can't find one that'll tow over 1,000 pounds. Do you like the way the swivel trailer works?

Just wondering....thank you

Old 12-29-2018, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
CanAm is about 1,300 pounds....where did you find your swivel trailer? I can't find one that'll tow over 1,000 pounds. Do you like the way the swivel trailer works?

I like it. I bought a Fast Master, then added an Axle By Joe axle and wheel assembly after I burnt up a wheel bearing due to poor maintenance. It tows great, no issues. I burnt up the wheel bearing cause I bought the trailer used and didn't pack the bearings before using it.

If you need more weight, they have a heavier duty dual wheel model on their site. They have two dual wheel models, so check both ought. If you feel like spending even more money, check ought Idaho Totes.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I like it. I bought a Fast Master, then added an Axle By Joe axle and wheel assembly after I burnt up a wheel bearing due to poor maintenance. It tows great, no issues. I burnt up the wheel bearing cause I bought the trailer used and didn't pack the bearings before using it.

If you need more weight, they have a heavier duty dual wheel model on their site. They have two dual wheel models, so check both ought. If you feel like spending even more money, check ought Idaho Totes.
Thank you VERY MUCH!!! Have done much searching on the web however haven't seen the one's you mention!!

Very much appreciated!!!

Old 12-30-2018, 06:05 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:

Look at an idaho tote
Urban350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler