Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 01:06 AM   #15

Other than a boat trailer and a couple uhauls I had never towed a large trailer till we bought our 5er. From this forum and others I went with a DRW after the first 600 miles I was comfortable knowing that trailer was stuck back there like glue. Have about 50,000 tow miles now.

I would be concerned with a 2 mile daily comute and not getting a diesel up to operating temps.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #16

Thanks everyone for your insight and experiences. Sounds like there won't be much buyers remorse in the DRW. Off to the dealer....

Old 09-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickdog View Post

I would be concerned with a 2 mile daily comute and not getting a diesel up to operating temps.

Brings up a good point. Solutions? 10 minute warm up time in the driveway for 5 minute commute? What's the real life wear/tear factor on a cummins that doesn't get truly warm for repeated short trips? Commuting max speed 35 mph, flat trip.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #18

Depends on climate and where you live. In cold months here in the north, I allow my 6.7 powerstroke to warm for 25-30 mainly because the defrost and in cab heater take a little longer than gas too. My experience is more worries with emissions than internal engine wear. Idling is tough on the new emission systems and causes it to regenerate more frequently to clean particulate filter. However, Ambulances do it all the time many leave them running 24/7 on a run in the winter. You can see them at the ER idling forever.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Are you stating your pin wgt's from stats told to you are actual weights?

IMHO, unless weighed, MOST actually are 'weigh' low to not limit their buyers!
"Oh Sure, that truck will tow it fine !"

In the case of the redwood I owned it was much, MUCH higher than published!
and on the redwood site I frequented just about everyone after getting theirs and weighing them realized they were 1000 to 1500 lbs heavier...
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #20

Think of having DRW or SRW with that weight and having a blow out. Two vs. one is better.
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #21

Two mile commute is hard on the new diesels with emissions. The egr tends to gum up. My '16 F350 will only let you idle it for 15 minutes and it will shut itself down. I'm trying to investigate if the high idle setup similar to ambulances helps at all. You would need to take it out and drive it like you stole it once in a while to clean it out. Excessive idle is very hard on them. Go to powerstrokehelp.com for some good info. Good luck.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 09-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #22

With that trailer, you will want/need a DRW.

Next is the 2 mile commute. A really bad idea on a new diesel truck.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:13 AM   #23

I had a long bed crew cab dually as a daily driver for years. I used drive thrus at banks and restaurants regularly. It fits just fine. I don't know about car washes. I avoid those things. I've got too many antennas and such on the truck.
You won't regret the dually.
As for the 2 mile commute, that seems like it would be very bad for any engine, particularly a modern diesel. A $1000 craigslist car would be great for a commute like that.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #24

I am driving a new diesel with the emissions equipment on it. I have driven 8 miles to work on this truck since it came in on 4/16/2014 and I have had no trouble at all with the DEF emmissions equipment on it. I pull a 2015 Trilogy 38RL that is scaling in about 17K with 4500 lbs pin weight. The DRW is a big factor in the Stability of pulling my rig.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Used out 450 to go to the shopping mall, golf course, theaters, restaurants, etc. Only issue was car wash would not give the 5 dollar deal to go through the tunnel. So I washed it myself. Not onerous.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #26

To the OP,,, go with a dually for that size of rv. Had a guy yesterday come up in the park we are at and asked how I liked my truck. Said he was getting one just like it,, and getting a 40' 5vr ... I told him it handles our rv great,,, 31'4" and just under 10K... BUT,, I told him he better rethink pulling a big rv with a 3/4 ton like mine. Pin weight will be in excess with a big 5vr... Nice guy but I doubt he heard a word I said....
As far as short daily trips, yes they are bad. But I drive under 8 miles one way to work, my truck warms up real quick, under 40 degrees has a aux fuel fired engine heater in addition of course to the plug in elec. It will melt ice off the windshield much quicker than a gas motor.
You will probably find you need to take a longer trip home once in a while to let it regen. No biggy here... Also getting oil temps up in the motor,trans, diff's,, all needed if you plan on keeping it a few years. (or more like me)

Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #27

You aren't limited to 3/4 ton with srw. I have a one ton srw and would not want a dually. Calculate your weight carefully and go with what you need.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
You aren't limited to 3/4 ton with srw. I have a one ton srw and would not want a dually. Calculate your weight carefully and go with what you need.
Very true... I saw several SRW 1 ton trucks this week where we camped.

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote