Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #29

Has the Automated Safety Hitch been completely Pooped?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #30
Dfb

That trailer does require a dually. We own a 38 foot fiver towing with a srw mega cab. 3500,,AISIN, 3:42s, rear air suspension,..... Over gvwr of truck by 250 lbs. and over gross rear axle by 100 lbs..
Truck pulls Montana like a dream even in windy conditions. Mpg is 10.5 to 12.3 but mostly in the mid 11s. Tow in 4 or 5th gear....a drw would eliminate the over weight issues..When it's time for tires, I'll smile
Dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with others. i pulled a 18K GVWR toy hauler with a SRW 3500 for the 1st 5000 mi. I knew something was wrong the 1st time we experienced moderate crosswinds going through west Texas. I finally broke down and bought a DRW. Pulled the same rig for another 17K with the DRW. Night and day difference. I never had a fear for crosswinds after that.

With that said, the DRW was also a daily work truck. I use it on pipeline right of ways and construction jobs. It was a little bit of a PITA, but manageable. Also there are 50% more tires to replace and no car washes. I sold it when we traded the 5er for a DP. To me there is only one reason to own a DRW, only because you need it.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
If you calculate your weights and get a truck that handles the load you will be OK. The trailer will tow JUST fine. If you are close to the max of your SRW truck and go to DRW it will tow MIGHTY fine.

It could result in arriving at your destination without white knuckle cramped fingers.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #33

Lots of good info here from the DRW drivers. Lots of Denial from the SRW drivers.

Just drove from Colorado to S Texas in the normal 15-30 mph cross wind with my DRW. You forget you got 18K behind you.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyerdoc View Post
Newb here. I've been scouring these threads the last 2 weeks and thanks for all of the extraordinarily helpful advise.

Just purchased Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH (42', Dry Weight 13305, Hitch wt. 2920)

Sad to see the 1/2 ton Denali go but just won't get the job done.

Committed to a Ram 3500 Megacab shortbed and now have to sort out how many wheels it should have.

I've exhaustively researched both the SRW and DRW. 5'er will be brushing upper limits in payload and tow limits in SRW, but will technically fall "under" the limits. Plenty of breathing room in DRW.

What i've learned from these forums: No one has ever regretted moving from a SRW to a DRW, and most have no plans on going the other direction. Here's what I would like to hear:
Is anyone happy with the SRW enough and/or felt safe enough with their set up that they have stuck with this platform? (assuming set up falls within published limits)

Here's my decision points in order of priority:

1. Safety. 468 pounds of precious cargo in the cab. 50 pounds of semi-precious Brittany Spaniel. 50 pounds of car seats. If they're not safe, no deal.

2. Is the DRW overkill for our expected uses of the 5'er? 90% of our usage will be 4 hour trips to the lake on flat interstate. The other 10% will be extended trips, including mountains. Will the difference in SRW and DRW be that dramatic that I will regret a SRW even if I only get the benefits of DRW very infrequently? I don't mind a little extra "work" during these infrequent long trips in managing the truck and trailer. However, see #1.

3. Truck will be my DD. Fortunately, Short 2-mile commute to work. MPG not an issue. Usually put less than 6,000 miles/year on my DD. Unfortunately, I like drive-through starbucks and automatic car washes. For the most part, the truck will sit in the driveway while I tote the family around in the uber-cool Mini Van. But, I will expect the lack of maneuverability in the DRW to be a major frustration that I may or may not ultimately adapt to.

4. Resale? Any better on the DRW?

Apologies if any of these topics have been covered ad nauseum. Thanks for your expertise and guidance!

JM
Well having much experience with several SRW and towing various sizes of fifth wheels and trailers I will tell you that there is no such thing as "over kill" when it comes to tow vehicles.
Now after purchasing my first DRW the stability and safety difference alone is worth the price. Add my name to the list of never return to SRW for towing purposes!
NTXNEWBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Something that has crossed my mind numerous times is getting a used MDT or HDT for towing the 5er. It would have been substantially less to buy one and all worries about capacity would be gone.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #36

Have towed with 1500 Ram short bed, Ram 2500 quad cab 8' bed, Expedition full-size SUV, Excursion SUV (V10 and possibly the biggest SUV made), and a Ford f350 dually over the past 25 years. Hands down the dually is made to tow and IMHO, once you tow with a DRW, you will agree that it is the tow vehicle of choice and will be the vehicle you stick with unless you choose the MDT/HDT route.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:47 AM   #37
Dfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Have towed with 1500 Ram short bed, Ram 2500 quad cab 8' bed, Expedition full-size SUV, Excursion SUV (V10 and possibly the biggest SUV made), and a Ford f350 dually over the past 25 years. Hands down the dually is made to tow and IMHO, once you tow with a DRW, you will agree that it is the tow vehicle of choice and will be the vehicle you stick with unless you choose the MDT/HDT route.
With the huge 5Th wheels of today, a medium duty may be the best way to go..
Even the new pickups are starting to be no match for 40 foot toy haulers..On this trip I have seen a Dodge dually pulling a huge toy hauler and a car being towed Behind the trailer!
Old 09-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #38
Dfb

Had an 04 ram dually tow machine. The only time I hated it was tire time! Last set was2000.00.... Now have a srw megacab.. AISIN. Pulls great!
Old 09-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #39

I have towed with both SRW and DRW I will never go back to SRW with a 40' 5th wheel now. The stability and safety in the Rocky Mountains and the cross winds in Wyoming it's a world of difference. The DW never says anything about being worried after the switch to DRW and that in its self is worth gold.
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
LOL "Tongue in Cheek"

There are two kinds of owners out there. The ones with duallies and the one's without.

The dually owners walk around with big smiles. The one's without walk around justifying why they do not have a dually.

There are many good reasons: cost, comfort, size, convenience. They are happy with their decision as I am with mine.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
LOL "Tongue in Cheek"

There are two kinds of owners out there. The ones with duallies and the one's without.

You left out a few types...

The ones that have have no experience so make decisions based on an anonymous Internet forum.

The ones who safely use a smaller truck than the anonymous Internet forums tell them to.

I have towed many miles with SRW and DRW trucks. I bought my current truck 6 years ago to tow the race car trailer. It just so happens that after selling the DP and getting the 42' fiver that it can also safely tow it. Now that I have the 42' fiver, when it comes time to replace my truck I will replace it with a dually (actually thinking a MDT) but I will not rush out to replace a perfectly good truck just based on Internet opinions.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #42

We tow a 12k 5th TH with a 2015 DRW F350, after trading an 2010 F250 towing the same 5th. No comparison - give me the DRW any day. At the end of the day you have to go with what you feel is right, but like all the other DRW owners here, no regrets on going with a DRW (that cost more than our house!). Good luck in your decision!
Chrisk153 is offline   Reply With Quote