Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
SRW or DRW......one last time!

Newb here. I've been scouring these threads the last 2 weeks and thanks for all of the extraordinarily helpful advise.

Just purchased Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH (42', Dry Weight 13305, Hitch wt. 2920)

Sad to see the 1/2 ton Denali go but just won't get the job done.

Committed to a Ram 3500 Megacab shortbed and now have to sort out how many wheels it should have.

I've exhaustively researched both the SRW and DRW. 5'er will be brushing upper limits in payload and tow limits in SRW, but will technically fall "under" the limits. Plenty of breathing room in DRW.

What i've learned from these forums: No one has ever regretted moving from a SRW to a DRW, and most have no plans on going the other direction. Here's what I would like to hear:
Is anyone happy with the SRW enough and/or felt safe enough with their set up that they have stuck with this platform? (assuming set up falls within published limits)

Here's my decision points in order of priority:

1. Safety. 468 pounds of precious cargo in the cab. 50 pounds of semi-precious Brittany Spaniel. 50 pounds of car seats. If they're not safe, no deal.

2. Is the DRW overkill for our expected uses of the 5'er? 90% of our usage will be 4 hour trips to the lake on flat interstate. The other 10% will be extended trips, including mountains. Will the difference in SRW and DRW be that dramatic that I will regret a SRW even if I only get the benefits of DRW very infrequently? I don't mind a little extra "work" during these infrequent long trips in managing the truck and trailer. However, see #1.

3. Truck will be my DD. Fortunately, Short 2-mile commute to work. MPG not an issue. Usually put less than 6,000 miles/year on my DD. Unfortunately, I like drive-through starbucks and automatic car washes. For the most part, the truck will sit in the driveway while I tote the family around in the uber-cool Mini Van. But, I will expect the lack of maneuverability in the DRW to be a major frustration that I may or may not ultimately adapt to.

4. Resale? Any better on the DRW?

Apologies if any of these topics have been covered ad nauseum. Thanks for your expertise and guidance!

moodyerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
Jayco Owners Club
I had similar thoughts, but I got over it. The DRW is pretty much a need not a want when it comes to the 40'+ fivers. I learned that a neighbor teenager can wash the truck and I can use the exercise instead of a drive through anything.
Check my signature for our Mule and Wagon.

Camp On!

Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually 6X6, RAM Puck w/ Demco Hijacker 21K Autoslide, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4.10's, Loaded.
Wagon: 2015 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Ride, 572 watts Solar.
Drifter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
Go with the DRW. The stability of the dually in windy conditions is huge over the SRW.
Alie & Jim 2009 CarriLite Max1
Volvo Dually Pickup
My keyboard is faster than yours
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:08 PM   #4
I've done it both ways. Dually - hands down! You'll have to give up automatic car washes, but that may be changing. I saw one in Richland WA this summer that advertised they could wash duallys.
'15 Lifestyle 39 FB '15 RAM 3500 Laramie Ltd MegaCab 4X4 6.7L Cummins, Aisin trans, 4.10 gears Andersen Ultimate
NW Explorers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
Love our Dually (F350). It is my DD as well and never an issue. It becomes quite comfortable after a couple of days driving. You have to watch the fenders in parking lots, etc., but I wouldn't go back to a SWD tow vehicle. DRW's were designed for it and do a terrific job.

Good luck on your decision, but one trip towing your 5er with a Dually is all it will take to confirm a happy purchase IMHO.
Gigattime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
What's the gvwr of the trailer? 16500? I have a 2014 ram 3500 megacab srw fully optioned out. I have 4076lbs payload. Toy hauler is 3100-3300lbs on the pin depending on rzr in garage or not. 16500 gvwr...I'm at max payload and cgvwr when fully loaded for long trips. Have towed 12k miles across mountains on east coast and back. This weight is about the max of a srw imo. Anything more is dually territory imo, and honestly a dually likely a better fit for my rig (even though I am not over any weight ratings by much...one time I was over truck gvwr by 150lbs I think)
gtsum2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #7

Originally Posted by NW Explorers View Post
I've done it both ways. Dually - hands down!
What they said
2014 Raptor 300MP, 2014 Cowboy Cadillac - Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel DRW 4.10 Rear End, Firestone Airbags, Curt Q20.
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #8
We FT traveling weekly for 7 yrs towing 14K 5th wheel with a 3500SRW

Oh the horror!

Actually NOT........it was smooth, steady, stable and never a white-knuckle ride.

When properly matched ---tow vehicle and trailer---it SHOULD be effortless

Be it 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton SRW, 1 tn DRW etc etc etc

Current block of trucks are more capable then other vintages.

Match them up weight wise.....PAYLOAD, RAWR, Rear Tire Load Ratings and GO!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #9
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You may be within the weight ratings of a 3500 SWR, but if you drive the SWR, then the DWR with your trailer, you won't want the SWR. It is that much more comfortable driving, and you will not be anywhere near the max of the truck.
03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #10
DRW is the safe way to go not to mention the comfort, and as a wise man on this forum once said, the mirrors stick out as much as the rear wheels do. A dually is easy to get used to.
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
I was nearly in the same boat as you. Just bought a 42' 5er 3k pin weight and just over 16k wet. We decided to go DRW for the added safety and ease of towing. Granted we will be full timing it come spring '17 which did play into the decision, but after all my research I figured anything over 40' should have a DRW when doing any significant amount of towing(not just 1.5 hrs to the lake and back a few times a year). It also gives us plenty of room for cargo and towing capacity instead of being right at both limits
Brian, Maya, Sawyer & Poppy(Frenchie)
2014 F-350 6.7L CC DRW 8'
2016 Bay Hill 379FL - Reese 25K Elite
wheelestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #12
I comfortably towed my trailer with a SRW. It is 39'10" and around 15,000 lbs depending on how we load it with a pin weight of apx 3200. I took the rig across a scale and found I was a couple hundred over on the RAWR. I promptly sold it and bought a Dually. My primary reason was the same as your #1. I feel it's not worth risking the safety of others for my daily driving convenience. It does not take long to become comfortable tooling around town in a Dually.
Doug & Cindy
2014 Cedar Creek 36ckts, Disc Brakes, EMS, Trav'lr
2016 Ram 3500 CCLB DRW CTD Aisin 4x4, 3.73, RASS, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum II
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
A few years back I had a SRW dodge/cummins with a 38 foot Bighorn.
The truck had plenty of power and was almost convienient for running errands , I did regret not having the dually. If I was to repeat that purchase it would be the same truck but with the DRW
Go for the breathing room
08 Diesel Bounder 38V
phranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #14
I have used both with my 42' th and the drw is by far the best.

diesel2121 is offline   Reply With Quote