Newb here. I've been scouring these threads the last 2 weeks and thanks for all of the extraordinarily helpful advise.
Just purchased Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH (42', Dry Weight 13305, Hitch wt. 2920)
Sad to see the 1/2 ton Denali go
but just won't get the job done.
Committed to a Ram 3500 Megacab shortbed and now have to sort out how many wheels it should have.
I've exhaustively researched both the SRW and DRW. 5'er will be brushing upper limits in payload and tow limits in SRW, but will technically fall "under" the limits. Plenty of breathing room in DRW.
What i've learned from these forums: No one has ever regretted moving from a SRW to a DRW, and most have no plans on going the other direction. Here's what I would like to hear:
Is anyone happy with the SRW enough and/or felt safe enough with their set up that they have stuck with this platform? (assuming set up falls within published limits)
Here's my decision points in order of priority:
1. Safety. 468 pounds of precious cargo in the cab. 50 pounds of semi-precious Brittany Spaniel. 50 pounds of car seats. If they're not safe, no deal.
2. Is the DRW overkill for our expected uses of the 5'er? 90% of our usage will be 4 hour trips to the lake on flat interstate. The other 10% will be extended trips, including mountains. Will the difference in SRW and DRW be that dramatic that I will regret a SRW even if I only get the benefits of DRW very infrequently? I don't mind a little extra "work" during these infrequent long trips in managing the truck and trailer. However, see #1.
3. Truck will be my DD. Fortunately, Short 2-mile commute to work. MPG not an issue. Usually put less than 6,000 miles/year on my DD. Unfortunately, I like drive-through starbucks and automatic car washes. For the most part, the truck will sit in the driveway while I tote the family around in the uber-cool Mini Van. But, I will expect the lack of maneuverability in the DRW to be a major frustration that I may or may not ultimately adapt to.
4. Resale? Any better on the DRW?
Apologies if any of these topics have been covered ad nauseum. Thanks for your expertise and guidance!