Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2016, 01:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Using replacement tires that are in conflict with tire industry standards or are not able to provide the load capacity of the Original Equipment tires are clear safety violations. As an owner that’s your choice. Bragging about it can be misconstrued as a recommendation for other owners to follow that unsafe path.

The following reference from Michelin gives a brief description of tire industry replacement standards.

Michelin does not build trailer tires in sizes 16" and below. However, vehicle manufacturers may, in some circumstances, chose LT or P tires for OE fitments. Airstream offers some of the Michelin brand tires on selected models of their RV trailers.
Fear mongering, what "unsafe path"?? Got data to show??

dayle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
Fear mongering, what "unsafe path"?? Got data to show??
NHTSA says so, look it up.

Would you like another reference from another tire manufacturer about replacement tire industry standards?

Here is a link to NHTSA interpretations. Ask them what happens when push comes to shove involving tire industry standards.

Interpretation Letters Database Search | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #17

Hey FE, what is your count of ST tire failures now?

The OP has already indicated that the trailer has 6K axles under it. Which means any decent quality LT tire with a 3042 load rating is more than sufficient for the trailer.
3042X2= 6084 tire load rating. Axle load rating 6000. Sooooo 6084 minus 6000 equals a 84 pound tire margain over the axle rating.
I see no reason the OP should keep pouring good money after good on junk ST tires.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #18

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lloyd,
While I agree with Donn450 about using the LT tires because they are within the load capacity of the trailer, I would go with either the Saliuns, or at the least the Maxxis. And Fast Eagle, as far as the NHTSA goes, if they are so smart, then why aren't they doing anything about the substandard tires that are gracing the biggest majority of the trailers today? Oh right money talks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Hey FE, what is your count of ST tire failures now?

The OP has already indicated that the trailer has 6K axles under it. Which means any decent quality LT tire with a 3042 load rating is more than sufficient for the trailer. Where is that coming from? That load capacity is way below the OE tire's load capacity.

3042X2= 6084 tire load rating. Axle load rating 6000. Sooooo 6084 minus 6000 equals a 84 pound tire margain over the axle rating.
I see no reason the OP should keep pouring good money after good on junk ST tires.
I've had my trailer for 13 years. It's been in 48 states. I've used somewhere around 30 tires. The complete story would take more than 10-12 pages to answer. However, I've been using the same name brand ST tires since late 2005.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
As with any substitutions, care must be taken to install the appropriate replacement.

While 3042 tires on a 6000 axle is OK, that means you would be starting at max pressure. It would be too close to capacity to suit my comfort level. I prefer to use the tire charts and then add 10 lbs as a cushion.

That being said I would consider it if the axle were carrying less than 5500 lbs scaled.

Our current trailer with 6,000 lb axle is equipped with load range G tires rated max at 4020.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some folks know how to read and onterpret regulations, laws, etc. Others have actually designed, built, tested, and examined failed tires.

RV Tire Safety: LT

I don't have much to add other than unless trailer owners start using TPMS, they really don't know why the tire failed unless the reason for it failing is painfully obvious. TPMS helps prevent failures that are related to inflation pressures. Without what I consider to be relatively inexpensive and easy to get TPMS, any new tires may fail at the same rate the purchaser has experienced in the past if inflation pressures had anything to do with the tires failing.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post

While 3042 tires on a 6000 axle is OK, that means you would be starting at max pressure. It would be too close to capacity to suit my comfort level. I prefer to use the tire charts and then add 10 lbs as a cushion.
But wait that same tire goes on so many trucks that also have a 6000 or 6100 lb GAWR. What's the diff ? There is no numerical margin in either case. And we don't know how much design margin there is for the truck or trailer axle/suspension. Or how much design margin there is in the LT tire either.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #23

First,, I'm No tire expert,, but I understand this,,, on a dual axle trailer there is A Lot of sidewall stress when turning corners... Thats why a tire be it a ST or LT "rated" for trailer use will have a stiffer/stronger sidewall to withstand the side loads compared to LT tires that just have to "support" the load... If in doubt, start turning like into a rv parking spot, stop and go look at the side stress those tires are under... Your pickup won't see that stress...
Personally for our 15" wheels, I instantly got rid of the D rated "china bombs" and installed E rated Maxxis tires... So far I love them...
Monkey
monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
First,, I'm No tire expert,, but I understand this,,, on a dual axle trailer there is A Lot of sidewall stress when turning corners... Thats why a tire be it a ST or LT "rated" for trailer use will have a stiffer/stronger sidewall to withstand the side loads ...
See: interply shear
Old 10-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
First,, I'm No tire expert,, but I understand this,,, on a dual axle trailer there is A Lot of sidewall stress when turning corners... Thats why a tire be it a ST or LT "rated" for trailer use will have a stiffer/stronger sidewall to withstand the side loads compared to LT tires that just have to "support" the load... If in doubt, start turning like into a rv parking spot, stop and go look at the side stress those tires are under... Your pickup won't see that stress...
Personally for our 15" wheels, I instantly got rid of the D rated "china bombs" and installed E rated Maxxis tires... So far I love them...
Monkey
Agree there is greater sidewall stress with trailers, but the discussion so far has been about load capacity. Anyway, my LTs have handled both load and stress just fine for 4-1/2 years. Many owners have made the switch over many years and I haven't heard a single owner regret having made the switch. BTW when I had 15" wheels I made the exact switch you made, the Maxxis ST tires failed at 3 yrs and on the road I had to replace all four.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #26

Quote:
on a dual axle trailer there is A Lot of sidewall stress when turning corners... Thats why a tire be it a ST or LT "rated" for trailer use will have a stiffer/stronger sidewall to withstand the side loads compared to LT tires that just have to "support" the load... If in doubt, start turning like into a rv parking spot, stop and go look at the side stress those tires are under... Your pickup won't see that stress...
LT and ST both have the same bead unseat tire test per the FMVSS. The ST isn't any better at with standing interply shear stress (side scrubbing ) than the LT when used in a trailer position.
Watch the front tires on a truck as its cranked to its max turn angle with a load. The tires carcass is rolled over with the tires tread twisted and looks like it will pop the bead.

.................................................. ......................................

This email from Michelin;

Posted: 12/14/12 12:14am Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
I sent an email to Michelin for a response regarding using Michelin XPS ribs on my 5th wheel. Here is the question and their response:

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

Due to recent high email volume and some technical issues that we have experienced, please accept our apology for the delay in this response. Your interest in Michelin is certainly appreciated.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
I have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel Trailer that has two 6,000 lb Dexter axles and 4 deluxe aluminum Rims each rated at 3,042 lbs. I would like to install your Michelin XPS® Rib™ LT235/85 R16/E's on this 5th wheel. Will the tires be fully waranteed in this application?

Answer..---------------------------------------------------------------------
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Diana
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

PS: It's important that you get all the safety-related materials that come with the purchase of new Michelin passenger and light truck tires. If you did not receive a warranty book, you can download one at www.michelin.com/warranty/. If you did not register your tires, please take a moment to do so at www.michelin.com. Registering your tires is easy and takes just a minute. *

JMO..... This is where a forum of experienced trailer owners such as IRV2 has that can offer tire advise based on years of actual experience....input from tire makers recommendations...... input from experienced tire dealers vs some one who has owned maybe a couple of trailers with little to no experience and offers no help other than just a legalistic opinion.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Our experience was nothing negative only positive, although our wheels & stems accommodated 110 PSI. on our last trailer 15.8 K lbs.
Not a fan of LT's on trailers, but understand everyone's experiences.
Found to be a good value:
ST235/80R16 LRG 14 PR Sailun S637 Radial Trailer Tire

Currently run 17.5" -H LR.

Be well.
When I switched to Sailun tires I never had another tire problem afterwards.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
I have had some of this experience myself..............

Daughter and her husband purchased brand new 5th wheel 2 years ago. So far, they have had 2 tire failures. One non-event, one did over $1,500 damage.

Yesterday following them on a trip, they were going slow through a small town and I observed a wobble in the left rear. Once we resumed speed all looked good. When we slowed again, I saw the wobble again and suggested we stop and take a look. Sure enough the belts in the tire were failing, we could see the distortion in the tread. The tire had proper inflation, there was no road damage etc...

We are giving serious thought to replcing all 4 tires with Light Truck (LT) tires. There are tires that are ver comparable in all demensions in the LT series. Anyone else done this? Have experience you can share?

L.
By "proper inflation" do you mean inflated to sidewall listed max. presssure?
ST tires have heavier sidewalls than LT tires to withstand the extreme stress placed on them by tight cornering, and consequently require maximum inflation.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires