Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #57

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike keller View Post
I had two Trailer King blowouts in one day with about $3500 in damage. Went with the Michelin XPS Rib 235/80R16.
Also y'all who have had blowouts with these cheap China tires need to contact NHTSA National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. Only way to get these tires removed from market. Remember the most important safety item on your rig is the tires. I will be making a complaint once I have insurance issues completed.

Be sure to get a few good sharp close-up pictures (in full sunlight) that you can include in post to NHTSA. Also a shot of Full DOT of each tire that failed. If you look at the tire pictures on my blog like here and you will see what I am talking about
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 01:57 PM   #58

Quote:
I had two Trailer King blowouts in one day with about $3500 in damage. Went with the Michelin XPS Rib 235/80R16.
Also y'all who have had blowouts with these cheap China tires need to contact NHTSA National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. Only way to get these tires removed from market. Remember the most important safety item on your rig is the tires. I will be making a complaint once I have insurance issues completed.
Michelin reference.

Help Me Choose The Right Tire | How to choose tires | Michelin US
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Be sure to get a few good sharp close-up pictures (in full sunlight) that you can include in post to NHTSA. Also a shot of Full DOT of each tire that failed. If you look at the tire pictures on my blog like here and you will see what I am talking about
IMO it's very hard to support a failed tire report that does not also have a scaled weight report.

Having the failed tire in hand is also a plus. Tire forensic experts are very good at determining the actual causes of tire failures.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #60

When you get to 16"+ wheels, you have a much wider choice of tires.... Making payments on a 16 rv,,, I couldn't justify the cost of replacing our 15" wheels, but for sure we got rid of the "tow max" china bombs,,,,, Before our first trip... I'll keep a close eye, but so far very happy (again) with our Maxxis tires......And yes I have weighed truck and trailer,, and contacted Maxxis,,, Gov has said 65mph max on ST tires,,, (as of one year ago) but Maxxis says they make theirs to 99 mph,, NO you won't see me doing that,,, but for now I feel pretty comfy doing 65 ,,, True,, only 6000+ miles in one year.... I might add my axle weights are 3440 rear and 3400 front,, (trailer) on E rated 10 ply tires... We will see....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #61

Quote:
I just replaced the OEM "Trailer King" China bombs on our new Carbon TH with the new Sailun S637 ST tires. These things are beasts, the differences are obvious, the Trailer Kings are light weight, soft and floppy when you roll them around, they just feel cheap as hell. The Sailuns are about twice the weight, and feel rock solid, no flex at all. They're all steel, 14 ply, higher weight and speed rating. So glad I didn't wait any longer to do this.
MattE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #62

Quote:
Gov has said 65mph max on ST tires,,, (as of one year ago) but Maxxis says they make theirs to 99 mph,, NO you won't see me doing that,,, but for now I feel pretty comfy doing 65 ,,, True,, only 6000+ miles in one year.... I might add my axle weights are 3440 rear and 3400 front,, (trailer) on E rated 10 ply tires... We will see....
Monkey
This paste and copy from another rv owner about Maxxis 99 mph claim;

forestriverforums.com
wmtire
Site Team

Here is a copy of the email I received yesterday from Maxxis, per my dealer request. (including original spelling)

Bobby,
The spped rating on for the Maxxis M8008 ST Radial is "Q", which is 99 MPH. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association the inflation pressures and load specifications in general for all ST Radial trailer tires, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your email and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
The Maxxis Support Team.....
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:33 PM   #63

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your email and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
The Maxxis Support Team.....
Well, no, it actually isn't helpful. We don't know what the original load figure is that needs to be reduced at the higher speeds. Is that reduced from MAX load for the tire, or was there some other figure they were starting from?

Just as a way of inserting my opinion here, I never tow with the cruise set any faster than 70, and the road has to be wide open with very little traffic during daylight hours and perfect weather. My tires are rated for 75MPH at full load, but I never exceed that. Most often I go the speed limit, or a MAX of 65MPH, whichever is greater. I'm full timing, and I'm towing my home behind me, so I try to reduce the risk for me a little
Old 08-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #64

Quote:
I would install these tires on my trailer in a heartbeat. The problem is Michelin doesn't make them in that size.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #65

On a trip to North Carolina from here, entering Missouri, lost the right front trailer tire just as I was turning into campground...put spare on, (tires on the ground were Carlisle's, D rated)...next morn at a tire shop had the only two st tires in stock mounted and installed on front axle....these are E rated...leaving Missouri, lost the left rear....put the spare on...made the next town, and the only thing there was a Walmart that had tires....but, again only two..these were Marathons, D rated....still runn'n them with a tms, at 65 lbs, and travel at 64 mph....the tires all are within 1 pound at speed and 3 degrees....just gonna keep test'n for awhile....not tell'n you the weight!....lol
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #66

First trip with the new trailer so would think the ST tires would work. Now the trailer sat on dealers lot for 16 months, but STs are supposed to last thru infrequent use. From factory, tires have total of maybe 1500 miles. But 80 miles from home, 60 mph and 80 degrees, blowout. Steel belted ST, so what it still failed. After 29 yrs I know about inflation, weight and speed.

Thought I could get first trip on STs, nope. The trailer now has Yokohama LTs
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #67

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
First trip with the new trailer so would think the ST tires would work. Now the trailer sat on dealers lot for 16 months, but STs are supposed to last thru infrequent use. From factory, tires have total of maybe 1500 miles. But 80 miles from home, 60 mph and 80 degrees, blowout. Steel belted ST, so what it still failed. After 29 yrs I know about inflation, weight and speed.

Thought I could get first trip on STs, nope. The trailer now has Yokohama LTs

Your tires should have been covered by warranty for at least one year. If not and the dealer know that IMO the dealer was negligent in not warning you that the tires had zero warranty.

The dealer is supposed to have registered the tire DOT with federal agency. Did they?

Since tires failed you need to file complaint with NHTSA. If dealer failed to register the tires that would be a 2nd complaint with NHTSA but this one is on the dealer.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #68

Quote:
Your tires should have been covered by warranty for at least one year. If not and the dealer know that IMO the dealer was negligent in not warning you that the tires had zero warranty.

The dealer is supposed to have registered the tire DOT with federal agency. Did they?

Since tires failed you need to file complaint with NHTSA. If dealer failed to register the tires that would be a 2nd complaint with NHTSA but this one is on the dealer.
I could care less about the warranty, I would have replaced them with LTs at my expense. Certainly wouldn't accept new STs as warranty coverage. My DW is terminal so I don't need to waste time on any fights
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #69

Quote:

A document with Tireman9 information.... A feather, please.

You see, I do read a lot.

Reminder, dealers must track tire serial numbers | RV Daily Report
Old 08-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #70

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Well, no, it actually isn't helpful. We don't know what the original load figure is that needs to be reduced at the higher speeds. Is that reduced from MAX load for the tire, or was there some other figure they were starting from?

Just as a way of inserting my opinion here, I never tow with the cruise set any faster than 70, and the road has to be wide open with very little traffic during daylight hours and perfect weather. My tires are rated for 75MPH at full load, but I never exceed that. Most often I go the speed limit, or a MAX of 65MPH, whichever is greater. I'm full timing, and I'm towing my home behind me, so I try to reduce the risk for me a little
The "original load" figures are the numbers on the tire sidewall. The adjustments to load & inflation are based on tire sidewall information.
IMO the ST tire companies are simply playing games with the speed rating. I think this was done to avoid import duties. I feer the marketing dept simply dictated the speed rating as I know of no "magic" available to any tire company that can suddenly allow a tire to carry an extra 20% of loading.
Load capacity is basically established by air volums (tire size) and inflation pressure and max speed. The formula for ST tires was and still is based on 65 mph MAX speed.

Tags
tires