Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Stabilizing a 5er

How are others stabilizing their 5th wheel?

We're looking at steady fast and JT Strong arm as possible solutions. Currently have a tripod on the front and the front seems stable - however there is movement in the rear living area (side to side) with the rear jacks down.

Cheers
SPICoaster - 2008 38' Holiday Rambler Alumascape Suite

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #2

Used to use the X locks between the tires , for stability.
I don't know what your 5er has for rear jacks, but my last 5er had scissor jacks on the rear, the more I had to extend them the more the rear moved around, took to carrying 8X8 blocks to put under the jacks so they didn't extend too far.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

You will never get all of the movement out unless you added the 6-point leveling system to the trailer.

I have the tripod stand and x-chocks between the tires this helps somewhat but the DW can still feel me walking around if she is in the front and I am in the back or the other way around.

Some have said that they have had good results with the JT strong arms but I am somewhat cheap and only use the 5er for a summer trips. So I do not plan on spending any more money on this 5ER. The next one we buy will have the 6-point leveling system since this will remove the bounce from the suspension system. When stationary and set up for camping.

Jim W.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with the tip for placing blocks under the scissor jacks. That seemed to help the most for our previous 5er.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
I agree with the tip for placing blocks under the scissor jacks. That seemed to help the most for our previous 5er.
The SteadyFast system did wonders; a tripod did not.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #6

No experience with the SteadyFast but x locks and pads under each jack to keep them short does work and is cheap. Keep in mind the rear stabilizers are just that, they are not designed to carry the trailer only to keep it from shaking therefor the more they are extended the less effective they are.
The 6 point leveling system beats all but retrofitting is probably not cost effective.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

I built my own version of stabilizers for the landing gear similar to JTStrongarms and WOW! They really work well.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
I built my own version of stabilizers for the landing gear similar to JTStrongarms and WOW! They really work well.
x2. DIY'd my own too. The rear cross arm seems to really tie it all together.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
x2. DIY'd my own too. The rear cross arm seems to really tie it all together.
I didn't put any on the rear, just two to each leg of the landing gear.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
Old 05-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MnTom - can you share the details on your project to make a bar setup for the rear scissor stabilizers?

We've noticed that the less the rear scissor jacks are extended, the less motion we experience in the living section of the rig.

The front of our rig is stable using only a tripod while keeping the landing legs at less than a 2 foot extension. Also we've made sure the pads and boards used under the landing gear are stable and in full contact with the ground (no rocks, pea gravel, etc.).

Cheers
Old 05-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #11

SPICoaster, I didn't make any for the rear stabilizers. I made a set of four for the landing gear. I used some 3/4" solid rod (from a rather large boiler I dismantled), some 3/4" steel pipe, and some track from a garage door opener I had laying around. I cut the rod into about 24" pieces, cut four 2" pieces and put a slot in the end of all eight to go over the tee shaped track from the garage door opener. I then cut the pipe into about 36" pieces and welded one of the small pieces of rod into one end. I drilled every tee with a 5/16 drill bit (two in the flange one in the tongue) and also the rod to match the holes in the tongue. I also drilled the four pieces of pipe about 6" from the open end and welded 3/8" nuts there. I used four 3/8 bolts and welded a 3" piece of 1/4" rod on the head of the bolt. I fabricated two brackets and mounting for the stabilizers to the landing gear. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. It did take a fair amount of time to do though. I will try to get you some pictures of what I did tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #12

OK, I got a couple of pictures for you. Everything I used I had laying around, so I just made it fit. Also, I forgot some of the install! I forgot I needed to ad a few extra pieces to the tops so they would bolt on. The first picture is the lower end where they attach to the landing gear. Picture #2 is where the cross bars attach to the front. I put plates on to separate the bars. The third is one of the upper mounts. The other side looks the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper stab1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	63782   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper stab 2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	63783  

Click image for larger version

Name:	camper stab3.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	63784  
Old 05-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the pictures and update MnTom.

Cheers
Old 05-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #14

RotoChok on the wheels and JT Strong Arm will do the trick. The DW was amazed at the stability. We are camp ground host and use it 5 days a week. We are extremely pleased with the result.