Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Start Up advice, all please pitch in

I am 26 contempt with life and realized i don't need very much at all, looking to become a full timer and want to know best recommendations. What would you want/need to start and makes life the happiest. I am looking for as much information as you're willing to type all the way down to fun tips and wishes such as that second airconditioner for the bedroom and outside grill attachment, to keep it under 40', what trucks are your favorites, quiet generators, solar, capacities. Anything at all to help me be happiest with my launch. Most importantly can't wait to see you out there somewhere.

MFToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
OK, How much money do you have to spend? Single or couple? New or used? Do you have any handyman skills? Are you going to tow a lot, or sit in one place for long periods? Are you going south for winter and north in summer? Just a start.

2001 dodge 2500 auto, with billet Mojave Green torque converter with 2nd gear lockup mod, raptor 100 fuel transfer pump and gauges. RV75 injectors
94 Alpenlite 27sl with many mods.
oldbeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Figure out the size of Ty or 5er you want to live out of and how much you plan to sit or move around. Then look for a truck to haul it. What ever you look to buy you will want to go bigger plan ahead before you buy a truck. Diesel would be better either way.
Barefoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Chevy Duramax/Allison best drive train on the road.
Barefoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
All the above.
Plus what type of Fifth Wheel Trailers are you looking for? JMO the list are, Excel, Drv, Open Roads, Nu-Wa (no longer manufacturing trailers there service center is still fixing fifth wheel trailers and they made solid Fifth Wheel Trailers). I hope that Nu-wa starts manufacturing in the future. The mentioned Fifth Wheel Manufactures are rated as Full time units. Are you going to buy New or used at first.
What type of truck are you going to get. My choice would be a Dually either Ford F-350 Super Duty or Chevy 3500 Silverado both 4X4 or and Diesel, if you are not going to boondock camp 2X4 will do. Your first year will cost the most. Figure $100,000+ because you have to buy your Rig and Camper, outfit everything and get RV insurance. Figure on saving up three times that amount after the first year to hold you over for expenses, Medical insurance, Vehicle/Fifth Wheel maintenance, food. Most people have pensions coming every month to maintain there living standards while full Timing or work out of their Fifth Wheel . Are you going to Work Camp while full timing? Check out the Lifestyle Threads about how to Work Camp and Fulltime. You are probably going to have to make a budget most people do it . I've been planning/Researching for over a year. I have four years to go before retirement and starting RVing.
Hope this helps a little, Good Luck. See you down the Road.
Scott Stielow IC1(SW) USN Retired
Scotty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
As for towing vehicles, without starting a flame war over my truck is better than yours, drive all of the major brands, find what you like and has the towing rating to haul what you want to use. I like Ford, others like Chevy and still others like Dodge. In reality, there isn't that much difference between them.
Steve & Trudy
Swamplands of Louisiana
Laissez les bons temps rouler!!!!
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Except the Chevy HD trucks have Allison transmissions.
2013 Coachmen SportsCoach 385DS
2010 HD CVO StreetGlide
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Before I bought my truck, I spent a lot of time on different forums for each of the three TV contenders. I learned a lot and discovered what major problems to expect on particular years and brands. Certain years were problematic for all three and my budget allowed for a 6-8 year old vehicle but didn't include any major repairs, so I had to do my homework. If you are buying something new, it's not an issue, any of the three are more than adequate, if buying used, do your homework.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
Am I wrong, I believe the Duramax Diesel is the only one with the Allison Transmission. I have a 2500HD with 6.0L Vortec and it doesn't have the Allison.
Dave, Vanessa & Mindye
SFC E-7, US Army Retired
2003 Kit Road Ranger 5th Wheel
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What? Did you hit the lottery? Grow into your trust fund? 26 yo and contempt for life? What does that mean? What's going to make you the happiest? You gotta make your own happy! Get out and experience life! Before you settle in to living in a box, take a year off and go travel the world. Join the military or the Peace Corps. AT 26 I was already married, had my first child, had been in my first war, seen a few far and exotic places, lived in 6 states since I had joined the Air Force and was more than 8 years into a career. Sheesh, what is it with young people today? Thay want it all and they want it now.
Don Kostyal
CMSgt, USAF ret.
2012 Canyon Star 3856//2009 Scion xB
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
I think that was a typo. I read content with life. Might be wrong.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
As far as a poweplant for your tow vehicle, I prefer the Cummins, that comes in the Ram trucks. Im parcial to them, and have worked on them, and serviced them for over 40 years. Ive never seen a a Ford, or chevy diesel engine used as an industrial application. I have seen many, many,many Cummins diesels in the field in the most extreme conditions, and they run forever. Now I know this is not the same as running a diesel in a pu, but just saying. I also know the Duramax is an Izuzu, and up until Fords new 6.7 diesel came out, Fords diesels were International Harversters.
As far as Rams transmission's go, if you buy a new 3500 get the Asian transmission. Its a medium duty trans that is used in commercial trucks. The Rams Cummins engine is made in tbe USA.

Buy the biggest trailer you can afford, if you plan on living in it, for long periods of time.
2015 Landmark Newport 365
2015 Ram 3500 4x4, CTD, DRW ,MC ,AISIN , 4.10's,
Six Burning Six Turning ! ,RVM 104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
Who know's, if it was a typo, but I agree with Tetonchief. Although I would encourage MFToes to buy an RV and go on trips, and get out there and have some fun. But If he were my son I would encourage him first to seek a career where he can support his lifestyle, maybe a family some day, and that has a retirement pension that will support him in later years, so he can continue RV'ing and exploring. Unless he is independantly wealthy and will not have to worry about these things down the road, I think it's irresponsible on our part to encourage someone of this age, and minimal experience in what life can bring down the road to put fun before hard work and a career that will sustain his lifestyle long into the the future. Who is going to provide his medical costs should he have an injury or get sick down the road. A simple appendix surgery costs thousands these days. What happens when he decides down the road, maybe 5, 10 years that a career would have helped him to achieve all his goals, including this one, but now he is that far behind most of his age group, that he will have a hard time entering the job market and will have postponed his real retirement for alot of years if at all.

MFToes there are a few stories in life experience to the point of put your work in now, pay your dues now, be patient and in the end you will be able to do all the things you want to do for as long as you choose because you put your responsibilities first and planned for the future, but if you skip right to the fun things in life, it will most likely not last very long if at all. So with that being said get an RV and enjoy life camping on your weekends and vacation time( and you can still meet us all out there), but have a job that will support your financial and medical needs. You asked what would make you the happiest and in my honest opinion this is what will make you happy now and for along time to come. I would bet that if you polled those of us who can spend 100's of thousands of dollars on these rigs and be able to drive the country using them, you would find very few, if any at all, of us who started out fulltiming at 26, before developing a career and/or a solid financial future
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
Evergreen Owners Club
I think the OP has moved on since his post was on 7/05/2013

Keith & Drena with Casey & P-nut (dogs) & Gabby (cat)
2014 Silverado 3500HD Dually 4X4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 365rl
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote