Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #1

Question State License Requirements

We reside in Florida and under FL law a CDL is not required for a 5th wheel RV. Our 5'er loaded is about 16,880#. That said as I read, in particular California and Illinois regulations especially CA, a Class A Non-Commercial license is required and for IL this appears to be much the same. TX could also be a problem as we are over 15,000#. How have others handled the license issue? What license regulations should we concern ourselves with in Canada? FL does not offer a Non-Commercial linense rather a full CDL is the only option. To those who have traveled North America what has been your license requirement experiences?
captainchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
All states honor other state drivers licenses, that includes what is allowed under those
licenses. You have no problem.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
If you're registered and have a license from one state and are in compliance with that state's laws, you won't have any problem elsewhere. Almost all states only require a CDL for commercial purposes (that's why it's called a "Commercial Drivers License"). If I wanted to tow someone else's trailer with my F350 for a fee, I'd need a CDL. If I was doing it as a favor, I wouldn't. At least that's in Virginia.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #4

You must comply for the home state in which you are licensed for. We're not a 5er but we weigh 14'600 just on our steer axel alone. DOT requires that a tractor and trailer cannot weigh more than 12,000 on the steer but we are not a commercial vehicle. It would be almost impossible to be legal in all states, Canada and Mexico.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are properly licensed in your home state for the class and weight, your license is recognized by the other states.

Next item is you are legally required to meet the states (which you travel through) speed, weight and overall lengths. Also you must meet their requirements for double towing (allowed or not allowed).

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All states offer reciprocity, or something close to it, and recognize your home state driver's license, vehicle registration and insurance.

However there are some highways in some states, particularly California, that have restrictions based on weight and/or length, and you would be subject to those restrictions.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #7

If you are legal in FL, you are ok in the other states. I think you are overly concerned with a non-problem. My trailer weighs 17400 and my truck 10000--definitely non-commercial CDL range in TX, but I don't worry about it. No one is going to check your trailer weight. Horror stories about having a wreck with an overweight setup, and getting sued, seem to be anecdotal on a lot of forums, but no factual evidence have I ever seen of someone having this happen to them.
Enjoy your travels.
However, if you really want to complicate your life, go ahead and get a CDL...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote