Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Step Rugs

Our Redwood has four steps to get into and out of the RV.

Is it worth the cost to install the step rugs you can buy at Camping World? (wanting to keep dirt from being tracked)

If there's benefit, is it best to cover all four steps or just part of them?

Gary and Karen Allison
Granbury, Texas
Redwood 39MB, Ford F-350 Diesel, 4X4 Dually
gcakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
What else do you have to wipe feet on? Do you use a patio carpet/rug outside? Do you have anything inside already to wipe your feet on?

We use a large patio carpet, Have a carpeted stand alone step in addition to the carpeted step attached to the MH, and have a piece of carpet at the top of the steps inside the mh and dirt/sand/leaves still get in.

You're camping, dirt happens.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
We used step rugs on our prior trailers. Still end up with dirt in the trailer and dirt on the step rugs that could not be broomed off. Now we use a patio rug and another welcome mat outside to wipe our feet on and another inside.

Like wild toad, still get dirt but it is much easier to pick up the outside mat and brush it off than to pull the rugs off the steps to clean them. JMHO
Samantha and Larry
Furkids-Duchess and Sweetie
Clouds and Oceans
SouthernNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use both an entry rug at the bottom of the steps and covers on the steps. We got the entry rug from Stanley Steamer when they did our carpets last year. I did not like the price but my wife did, however I really like the rug and cannot remember what we paid. Perfect.

I quit buying the cheaper covers for the steps (they look like outdoor carpet) because they lasted one season. The ones I have on there now are three years old at least maybe four and do not show wear at all. They sweep fine and we believe at least cut much of the dirt from our shoes. They came from CW.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
You could get a boot brush and leave it by the first step. I am going to look into that this spring.
beartoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
We do all that what everyone else has posted, outdoor carpet next to the trailer, sample carpets at the bottom of the step and next to it, step covers on the 3 steps and a carpet runner at the door, and a carpet mat on top of that. All of this and we take of our shoes before entering the trailer. Any dirt that gets in I blame on the dog or the grandkids.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your talking about the carpet that covers the entry steps ?. I went to HD and purchased a rubber backed floor mat, the type you would use in front of a desk. I cut to size, then installed 3 grommets holes in each side and attached each cover to the steps with large plastic ties. The cost was around $ 15.00 they will usually last for around 4 years. maybe longer, but they had faded a little.
Bill, enrolled member of Choctaw Tribe. 2005 Fleetwood/Revolution,AFE Filter,Aero Exhaust,Koni FSD shocks,KarKaddy SS. Progressive HW-50C.
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure on your 4 step set but measure the distance between steps when folded. some steps are to close and will not close completely when tugs are installed.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
I used some fake grass outdoor carpet for my steps. I sewed wide hems on all 4 sides and installed 6 grommets from a kit I got at Lowe's, then used 3 springs from my spare spring bin to keep them tight. For the steps inside my MH, I used office carpet tiles, cut to fit. I held them down with carpet tape from HD.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
I found some nonslip glue down stair covers at Home Depot of all places.They have a yellow stripe on the front and cover the holes in the steps.They help clean off my shoes(sand paper finish) and keep the dogs nails from getting stuck in the steps.
2011 Montana-3400RL
Towed by[B]'99 F-350 SD PSD DRW Lariat
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
Wallmart has indoor outdoor covers pre made in RV section. Held on by springs.

oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote