Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #1

Stinks in RV

Need some ideas on what to do about bad odor in rv. Have replaced all vents inside trl ,flushed black tank for 1 hr,checked all valves to make sure they were closed still Stinks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #2

Wife just reminded me that when the front air is turned on, smell gets worse

Old 06-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblcruzin View Post
Need some ideas on what to do about bad odor in rv. Have replaced all vents inside trl ,flushed black tank for 1 hr,checked all valves to make sure they were closed still Stinks
dblcruzin
Do search on here on iRV2 for "sewer smell"... (that subject has been extensively discussed for years).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #4

Check your house batteries as well- if your batteries are being boiled by overcharging, the hydrogen sulfide emitted will smell a lot like sewer stink.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #5

New to you trailer, or just now having the problem? The gray tank can get pretty stinky also...
What 'vents' have you replaced?
If the smell is worse with the ac on, might go up top and take the cover off and look it over for mold/trapped dirt, etc.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #6

I believe we guessed at the nature of his smell. I do not recall a description from the OP.

If it is sewer gasses, all advice so far is good.

If it is mold, or the results of vermin or dead vermin, some activity would be different.

I the Southwind I am currently rebuilding, there was food in refer for several years. Talk about stink?!

I was given good advice to use an ozone generator. It is a technology that I was unfamiliar with, but I asked on this forum about the stink in the refer in the thread labeled 'spoiled food' and got great ideas about getting rid of that stink.

So, it is in the hands of the OP to give us more details. He also has to open that air conditioner, to see if there is a dead mouse or mold in it, or some other issue. I would further suggest opening all areas, used or unused, to see if there is a local source, other than the tanks. (Including the compartment the tanks are in, behind the sinks, under the cabinets, behind the shower, etc.)

Identify what can be identified, and then use the Ozone generator.

Good luck.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Get on the roof and remove the holding tank vents from the roof to make sure that the pipe is indeed completely through the roof decking. Holding tank odors may be escaping into the "attic" area of the roof as well as into the ac ducting if the pipe(s) do not extend beyond the roof.
Often times the vent pipes are cut off too short and/or do not extend through the roof decking. The cap is installed yet the pipe is not properly venting the odors properly.
If the pipe does not extend above the roof, extend it. At the same time, check to make sure any void is filled around the pipe where it protrudes above the roof decking.
Otherwise, since you have check all of your AAV around your traps at the shower and sinks and they are not stuck open, I can't imagine where the odor is coming in from. Good luck.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #8

Have you cleaned the AC filters?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #9

I've had a stinky trailer twice. The first time was at an RV park where I was disposing of the tied doggy bags in the RV trash can. When I first noticed the smell, I didn't make the association until I bent over to pick up after the dog on the next trip out and the smell was familiar. Used an outside trash can after that.
The second time we thought we had a dead rodent under the kitchen counter until someone posted about a stinky sink trap. Used gray tank deodorizer and the problem was fixed.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Maybe if we can get a better clarification by the OP of what they mean by "stinks" & "bad odor". We're all guessing at what it might be. What if it's nothing to do with the mechanics of the RV? Maybe there's something dead somewhere.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:52 PM   #11

Not new to me bought new. Sewer odor started a month ago the vents that were replaced were the air vents under cabinets ran the leak test no toilet ,filled with water let set all day no water lost, came back to trl later today ,turned on sec a/c ,in about 10 min. Sewer smell checked a/c not coming out of it am running out of ideas. And DW is running out of patience
Old 06-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I had a smell in our MH for several years off and on. I read all the posts about plumbing and vents and tanks. It would come and go, very frustrating. I think I just found out, by accident, what it has been this whole time. Next to our toilet is a space in the wall where the vent pipe for the black tank goes up to the roof. Inside this space is the vacuum break and check valve for the black tank flush system. Every so often I would find water in one of our basement storage bays. It was clean water because it didn't smell or taste funny, but I could determine where it was coming from. One day I was rinsing the black tank and noticed water leaking from under the MH. This lead me to the flush plumbing in the bathroom wall. Removed the panel and found the vacuum break not sealing and the check valve rusted in the open position. It appears the smell was coming from the black tank through the flush plumbing.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
I had a smell in our MH for several years off and on. I read all the posts about plumbing and vents and tanks. It would come and go, very frustrating. I think I just found out, by accident, what it has been this whole time. Next to our toilet is a space in the wall where the vent pipe for the black tank goes up to the roof. Inside this space is the vacuum break and check valve for the black tank flush system. Every so often I would find water in one of our basement storage bays. It was clean water because it didn't smell or taste funny, but I could determine where it was coming from. One day I was rinsing the black tank and noticed water leaking from under the MH. This lead me to the flush plumbing in the bathroom wall. Removed the panel and found the vacuum break not sealing and the check valve rusted in the open position. It appears the smell was coming from the black tank through the flush plumbing.
Belgian
Thanks for that informative post.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes , thank you Belgian for posting that. Here's a photo of a vacuum breaker for those who haven't seen one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1435066620.613713.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	98095

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote