Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #15

I carry a kingpin lock in case I would have to drop the trailer in a lot or along side the road. I do not use it in parks and seldom when boondocking. I worry more about the truck & trailer being stolen all in one shot while at Wally World or a restaurant.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I am in agreement about being taken from campground. Could be possible if left in storage on site during the off season but very unlikely during peak season.

Now that it has been said what are the odds of it really happening?

We bought a king pin lock from Saborin for the 5er while in storage. One of the families we know had their 5er stolen. At the time the 5er was hooked to the truck as they were leaving for vacation the next day, so the thieves only had to steal the truck, the 5er followed.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #17

I have a kingpin lock and I use it every time I'm not hooked up to my truck. Campgrounds and my backyard mostly. Always locked.

I also have a padlock that I use to lock my 5th wheel hitch, with or without my 5er hooked up. This prevents someone from unhooking my 5er when at a rest stop. I read one guy got his 5er totalled after it dropped after that happened to him.

It wasn't expensive and it's simple to put on or take off. I'd never leave home without one.
Oderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #18

I use a kingpin lock but an old timer once told me “just make yours a little harder to steal than the guy next to you.”
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oderus View Post
I have a kingpin lock and I use it every time I'm not hooked up to my truck. Campgrounds and my backyard mostly. Always locked.

I also have a padlock that I use to lock my 5th wheel hitch, with or without my 5er hooked up. This prevents someone from unhooking my 5er when at a rest stop. I read one guy got his 5er totalled after it dropped after that happened to him.

It wasn't expensive and it's simple to put on or take off. I'd never leave home without one.
X2. Kingpin lock, and lock on fifth wheel hitch.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #20

Yup 5ers get stolen more often them you think
Personally I took 12 mind you I was in the repo business for 17 plus years it's not really stealing just returning to the banks , some of them where pretty tricky to get,
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyy2go View Post
What if any devices are out there to prevent theft of a fifthwheel while unhooked at a site? Is it even needed?
As you'll notice exercising good common sense goes a long way in security matters. Generally keeping the honest, honest can be accomplished with a King pin lock, wheel boot, locking X-chocks, even a piece of logging chain and lock between tandem wheels. Any of these might be handy if, you had to drop your trailer for a short time somewhere other than a CG, to run an emergent / errand in your TV. We have a brightly colored k-pin lock. We've used it only once.
We watched a trailer being repo'ed once in a fairly nice CG. Reluctantly, we intervened, but the strange drivers "papers" appeared in order. It doesn't take long.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #22

Hi Ready, I purchased a slide over lock for my king pin. It is a deterrent at best. but, It would take some time and noise to cut it off. Hopefully bringing attention to the potential thieves. Ebay, etc. sell them for about $30.
Grafton Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #23

5ver theft in the campground i've never heard of. But i agree very few have a truck to move my Teton at 21,000 lbs.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote