Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #1

Ok, I"m not looking to revive any threads on which is better, DP's or 5ers. I am currently retired, DW will be retired in 18 months. We have been planning on going full time when she is retired. We are looking at DP's and 5ers, and trying to garner as much info as possible on the positives of each, accentuating the positives, because everything has negatives. DW Loves!, and I mean Loves! the floor plans and spaciousness of the 5ers, and I have to admit they are a huge plus.
BUT, my concern is the lack of basement type storage on the 5ers. Am I missing something? Those of you that full time, do you find that you have plenty of storage, or is storage more of an issue on the 5ers. Some of the higher end units we've seen, my my, they are huge inside.
As a great man once said, "Just the facts Ma'am".

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
John, just give up now... regardless of how much stroage you have, you will fill it up.

Actually, I am not a great example, as a solo'er, but I find so far that I have plenty of storage for the most part. I am having to cut back on some of the kitchen appliances though.

Good luck with your choice, and let us know how it works out.

'12 F-450 Lariat
05 KZ 45' Escalade Toy Hauler
00 Harley Road King, 94 Dyna Wide Glide, 83 FXR
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Looking solely at storage, I don't think there is a clear cut answer. It kind of depends on the lay out of the storage on that unit. My fifth wheel has a lot of storage that I don't see on newer fifth wheels. The number of slides impact some fifth wheel storage. That isn't a problem with most bus type motorhomes as they sit over the slide mechanism. Of coarse weight on large diesel pushers are a non issue but weight is always a thought with fifth wheels.
2011 Chevy one ton dually
2004 Kountry Star 37'
jmrkav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Depends are you going to need winter and summer cloths what are your hobbies that you'll be hauling along and the list goes on and on
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
look at the Kz Stone ridge models 36rk and 36ul. They are both "tri-level" plans that have underneath storage both front and back. The back storage even come s with a roll out tray. These are exceptionally roomy plans you might consider.
brmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
If you feel the need to fret about how "much" storage space you'll have, I'd suggest you take some time to seriously look at what you'll "really need" to full time RV.

Remember that you are going to full time RV. Not move into another house. Adopt the motto that less is better. You'll surprise yourself a d be happier for it. 😄
Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Just was camping with some folks who were 3/4 timers. The gentleman was saying that he had the same quandry as you. He wanted a motorhome, she a 5er. He said he asked her one thing. What do we do when we are going down the road, its pouring down rain, wind blowing the rain sideways, and you need the use the faciilities. In the 5er, we have to find a place to pull over, and stop. It could take a half hour or more, depending on the road your on. Now is she going to get out, put down the steps, unlock the door, come out, relock the door, put the steps up and get back in the truck soaking wet. With the motorhome, she can just get up, walk a few steps and all is done. Needless to say, He was driving a motorhome!!

1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale)* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote