Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Storing an RV/no cement pad.

Hi, wondering what folks do when storing their RV's. Moisture is a bad thing under your rig, some have cement pads ,some have barns with a roof, but what's the best surface to store if you don't have these luxuries.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A gravel or compacted 'fines' allows water to drain. It doesn't have to be a concrete pad, anything other than grass or weeds is O.K.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a DG driveway and parking pad. Works great.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
DG is decomposed granite, a mixed fine surface. It depends on the OP's location, in our region limestone is common, granite incurs long distance shipping, so costs are much more. Pavers, bricks, asphalt, also serve a good parking spots. It might be something to check with local authorities, some areas require permits and they might have opinions as to what you can do.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

Unless you live in a low humidity area, don't store the RV in a fully enclosed building that lacks moisture control. Better to have a well ventilated site so moisture levels under the RV are no higher than elsewhere. This will minimize condensation issues under the RV.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have a gravel pad beside the stick house. Have stored 6 MH's on it since 1988 and TT's before that. Never had any trouble with rust or any other water related problems and we live in the Pacific NorthWet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #7

Thanks for responses. I'm rural in eastern Pennsylvania, no zoning controls.
The 5er is on gravel and wheels up on treated 2x12s. No vegitation underneath. Will spread stone this spring and weed killer so no vegetation will grow. Area is open and no shade so moisture will be limited to ordinary humidity.

CLIFF
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
No vegitation underneath. Will spread stone this spring and weed killer so no vegetation will grow.
You might also want to put down landscape cloth, this will keep anything the weed killer didn't kill from coming up through the gravel.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #9

I store mine on grass lol.

It gets moved weekly, so nothing builds up under it, has sank a bit once. I keep my landing gear on large pads so they don't sink. I'm pushing 16k parked, I have had any issues yet.

I don't own the property that I use for storage, I've thought about offering to buy a few loads of screening to put down in that area, but haven't really bothered yet. For now I live in a HOA that would have kittens if I tried to park it in my driveway.

I thought I'd add, the only thing I cover is my tires. Dry rot will ruin trailer tires quicker than anything else.
Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Down in our part of the country, the sun proved to be very damaging to our first rig. So as soon as it was practical, we had a 20x40 steel 'RV port' installed. We had an extra 4' of steel panel installed on each side to keep sun damage to a minimum. Still plenty of beneficial air circulation around the rig. Driveway and pad consists of #57 gravel on top of about 6" of clay fill. Keeping sun and rain off the rig during storage pays big dividends in longevity.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #11

My coach is in a soft area so I put down geotextile fabric and 6 inches of #2 stone. Then I placed 2 railroad ties side by side for the front wheels, 2 railroad ties for the rear wheels, and one railroad tie for the front stabilizer and one for the rear stabilizer. Then I filled in the center with (dense graded aggregate). This made a very stable area and it is perfectly level. On top of the railroad ties where the wheels touch I placed a small section of roof flashing to act as a barrier between the tires and railroad ties.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #12

I park mine in the back yard on the grass - well, it used to be grass, but a lack of sunshine under the trailer and nothing grows. It is so dry under the trailer the dirt got so fine that the neighborhood cats were using it for a litter box and my dog would go find the 'tootsie rolls' and eat them then have a puke day, so I put down some chicken wire and that stopped that. Tires are sitting on the good ol' dirt, one side on a 2X10 to level things out.

No problems since 1985 or so.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namlehse View Post
I store mine on grass lol.

It gets moved weekly, so nothing builds up under it, has sank a bit once. I keep my landing gear on large pads so they don't sink. I'm pushing 16k parked, I have had any issues yet.

I don't own the property that I use for storage, I've thought about offering to buy a few loads of screening to put down in that area, but haven't really bothered yet. For now I live in a HOA that would have kittens if I tried to park it in my driveway.

I thought I'd add, the only thing I cover is my tires. Dry rot will ruin trailer tires quicker than anything else.

Devils advocate here. How will covering tires prevent dry rot? Always figured non use caused most dry rot problems and although I use covers for direct sun protection, I have not figured out how to cover the inside of the tire if covering does prevent dry rot.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote