Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #1

Some friends borrowed my 5th wheel; unknowingly it was stored without being dumped, for about 4 months, mostly summer months.

I know have a very very offensive odor emitting from the tank. I have flushed it 4 times, used a gallon of chemical in it, and thought I had solved the problem until today.

We will be using the 5ver this weekend and started to prepare today. The smell was strong as ever. Unbearable. What should I do, and can I ever get rid of the smell.

Flatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #2

Some friends borrowed my 5th wheel; unknowingly it was stored without being dumped, for about 4 months, mostly summer months.

I know have a very very offensive odor emitting from the tank. I have flushed it 4 times, used a gallon of chemical in it, and thought I had solved the problem until today.

We will be using the 5ver this weekend and started to prepare today. The smell was strong as ever. Unbearable. What should I do, and can I ever get rid of the smell.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:47 PM   #3

First make sure the vent on the roof is open. I used a garden hose and with another person on the faucet turn it on slow. If the vent is clear you will know in short order. If not clear it.

Get rid of the chemicals fill the black water tank about half with clear water add one bottle of dishsoap. Take the rig for at least an hour drive, drain the tank again fill one fourth full with clear water, no chemicals and use the trailer. The waste need to develop bacteria and this will clear it up. I never use chemicals and always keep water in the tank.
Michael Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #4

thanks,

bye the way. when I filled the tank with H20 a lot of faom bubbles came out of a vent on top of the trailer. the smell was real strong outside too. what the heck is causing the bubbles?

what kind of soap should I buy and what size bottle?

Old 11-04-2005, 07:31 AM   #5

I always buy the cheapest dish soap. I do not use an anti bacterial soap, because you want the bacteria to live.It is not hard to look at the drain lines and see how the unit is plumbed...sounds like soap suds to me.

The driving with fresh water in the tank will
do a great job of cleaning the tank and many times will losen up built up crud. I never leave my black tank empty in storage. I have even used three or four gallons of windshield washer fluid in the winter.

I feel the secret to a no smell tank is no chemicals, when you dump fill the tank all the way up after dumping put four of five bowlfuls of water back in the tank and if you can leave the tank alone to develop a good bacteria count.

Our trailer has an automatic tank flusher and I have not used it in four years.

When you use a trailer every now and then most do not want to leave the black tank partially full. If you can do this without freezing you will be very happy. Every couple weeks add a little water to maintain your level.

Think of your black tank as a mini septic tank. Many people add bacteria enhancing additives. I did once ...waste of money
Old 11-04-2005, 10:05 AM   #6

well I purchased the soap, but opted for a couple cups of bleach instead. I did this because I figured I already have problems with the bubbles exiting the vent and If I added the bottle of dish soap, I would probably never get rid if them. If the bleach does not work, I will try the soap. pretty desperate right about now.

I will not be lending my trailer out any more.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #7

If you drive the trailer a little the crud in the tank will kill the soap suds. When I first started I put lysol a big bottle (purchased from Sams big) every second time I flushed with 4 bowlfuls of water. This killed the smell, but it also killed the bacteria, it turned out the toilet paper and big klunkers were not breaking down. When I dumped about every two weeks. I had a couple of times when the flow when dumping just about stopped by blockages.. We were living in the trailer at that time. I did some research stopped using chemicals and every dump has been smooth with no clumks or slowdowns. When you use a trailer occasionally it is a lot harder to build up a good bacteria count, especially if you live where you get a hard freeze.

I hope the bleach works for you.. .
Old 11-09-2005, 07:53 PM   #8

the bleach worked great. no more smell. thanks for the help