Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Sub 25k 5th wheel bunkhouse?

Nw to iRV2. We've been campers for about 10 years making the gradual steps from pop up, TT, 5th wheel. We're now on our third and last kid so it's time to buy what I hope to be the last camper .

Here's my wish list
3 bunks
1 slide

Metal sided as opposed to smooth sided ( I know that's another whole discussion but I've yet to see a 3-5 year old camper without delam somewhere on it)

Outdoor kitchen ( I'd also like some opinions from those that own one, we think we'd get lots of use out of but, I've thought that before about features only to not use them nearly as much as I thought)

The one I've found so far is a palomino 295kbh. It fits the price and features yet I don't know much of their quality. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

And of course TV will be a 97 f250 7.3 auto 8' bed 3:55 4x4. I'm also,pondering converting this truck to a zf6 4:10 combo as I have most all those parts available jus lack the time :(

Anyway TIA!

Partsjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Originally Posted by Partsjockey View Post
... but I've yet to see a 3-5 year old camper without delam somewhere on it
Then come and look at mine. Delamination certainly occurs but it's not that common.

If you're on a strict budget you might want to consider used (if you are not already.) Depreciation on RVs can be massive in the first few years and there are a lot of fresh used units out there with a lot more value per dollar than new.

smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Most certainly looking at used units!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
IMO delamination just shows you which units have leaked. Where as metal units hide it better.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Not really wanting to derail this thread but I can show you pics of delam on quite a few brand new units at my local dealer. The salesman relied that its "the nature of the beast". Obviously they are far from a preferred dealer to work with but it did afford us the opportunity to see a few floor plans hands on
Old 11-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
I have a 259rbss puma. I pull it with a 2500 dodge with the Hemi. It does just fine. The build quality is great. The big water tanks, light weight and the mass sleeping room is what sold me on my Puma. Do some searching online for the 298 and you can find some great deals. Harper camper land in Greatbend Ks is where I got mine. Route 66 in Oklahoma has great prices too. My siding shows small hail dents.
dakotakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
Best i could find other than the PUMA.

Sabre Silhouette 320FQDS Fifth Wheel | RV Wholesale Superstore, LLC.

Sabre Silhouette 320FQDS, but not aluminum sides.

If you could do with 2 bunks and make 1 kid sleep on a sofabed, that would open up the possibilities a little. Once you go up into that size range with a full room of bunks, they tend to jump in price and use compressed laminate sidewalls.

Here's a wildwood with 2 bunks for $18k. http://rvwholesalesuperstore.com/for...ldwood/26ddss/
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
I have a new Palomino Puma 253-FBS. We have only used it for one six week trip. So far, we are very happy with it. It is certainly not high end, but seems to be an excellent value.

You might also want to ask in the Palomino section of the Forest River forum. Palomino - Forest River Forums

Retired electronics engineer. Avid paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, diesel, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253FBS (27' 5er) & '94 19' Class B
J Birder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
3- bunks? 1-slide? How about 34' long and sleeps 8-9? Less than $25k? How about paying $18k in 2002 (Fun Time RV in Texas) for a 2000 model; now worth about $8k (NADAguide). Been lived in for several years; been beat-up by my Brother-in-law. I'm living in it now (80%). Has an extremely tough fiberglass exterior- hit a car (broadside with the trailer) once in a campground; damaged the car- no damage to my 2000 Jayco Eagle 325 BHS. No metal for me... I'll take a bit of delam but no leaks and still in reasonably good shape.

Similar newer models worth looking at. I'm convinced of it's value.

2000 F-350 2wd CC Diesel Dually Auto found a newer mate: a 2008 JAYCO Designer 31RLTS
wanderinf350 is offline   Reply With Quote