Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #1

Hi all, I haven't been on this site for some time but I have to post a warning to anyone with and RV in central California.
Last year we had some routine service and repairs done on our 2000 Alfa Gold 5th wheel. We have had problems with the dometic fridge since the getgo, and were told by Central Valley RV that we needed a new cooling unit. This was the second one, the first was in 2002. The Central Valley RV put in a unit that was not made for our fridge and had to cut the interior on the fridge so the "fins" would fit. Well this totally warped the inside of the fridge. The owner Dustin Simpson tried to tell us that the warping was caused by the extreme heat that we were having at the time. He refused to take responsibility for his employees poor work. By the way the fridge still doesn't maintain the temperature well were it is warm weather.
Also we had the gaskets around the slide outs replaced and that work had to be fixed becaused the repair person put them on wrong. They also messed up our slide cover awning, it now hangsup and prevents the slide from going out. We tried to talk to them at Central Valley RV but got nothing but excuses and their failure to take responsibility. Instead of $3000 worth of repairs and services we ended up with $3000 worth of damages

our furry friends "Mac" and "Sadie" <><
Gedanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #2

Hi all, I haven't been on this site for some time but I have to post a warning to anyone with and RV in central California.
Last year we had some routine service and repairs done on our 2000 Alfa Gold 5th wheel. We have had problems with the dometic fridge since the getgo, and were told by Central Valley RV that we needed a new cooling unit. This was the second one, the first was in 2002. The Central Valley RV put in a unit that was not made for our fridge and had to cut the interior on the fridge so the "fins" would fit. Well this totally warped the inside of the fridge. The owner Dustin Simpson tried to tell us that the warping was caused by the extreme heat that we were having at the time. He refused to take responsibility for his employees poor work. By the way the fridge still doesn't maintain the temperature well were it is warm weather.
Also we had the gaskets around the slide outs replaced and that work had to be fixed becaused the repair person put them on wrong. They also messed up our slide cover awning, it now hangsup and prevents the slide from going out. We tried to talk to them at Central Valley RV but got nothing but excuses and their failure to take responsibility. Instead of $3000 worth of repairs and services we ended up with $3000 worth of damages

our furry friends "Mac" and "Sadie" <><
Gedanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #3

Highways magazine has an action line for such complaints. They boast a high success rate for resolving these issues. You might consider writing the column author.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I am glad you posted, we have the opposite problem. Thank goodness we have a good RV dealer/repair shop locally. We just picked the wrong manufacturer. However from reading your post and others its is very hard to get any type of RV without some type of problems down the road. Quality is almost non-existent in the RV industry.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry to hear of problems with dealer you can register your problem on HERE so others will be aware.
If you have a large Dometic refer and box temps were running in the 40* range in warm weather, Dometic did not install cooling fans to cool the coils in back of your refer. Norcold has them but had alot of problems with a $12 thermister switch that was failing or the enclosure for refer wasn't built correctly.
People did install 12v fans with thermister switch to help cooling of coils.
Cooling fan
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #6

This is exactly why I'm thinking about starting up an RV repair business. It's getting very difficult to find a shop that cares about what they do.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have had my fiver service at two different dealers and not too happy with any of them. The first place broke something the two times I took it to them and the last place fixed the antenna and when we got down in Florida last year we found out that it could not be rotated. I tired to fix it my self and after two days with little to watch on TV. I called a service tech and he fixed it for a charge of $50. When we got back I asked for payment of the bill. The guy in the service department said he would have to get back with me. I called again in a couple of weeks and got the same story. I threw the bill away the other day and will not use them again.
Tom