Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #29

I keep it at one mile per minute. Easy to figure distances.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #30

So the tires are the limiting factor on speed?

Old 08-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #31

Yes ST tires are speed rated at 65 mph. One good reason. We sometimes go faster due to urgency for next job. We use Michelin XPS tires.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp75 View Post
So the tires are the limiting factor on speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Yes ST tires are speed rated at 65 mph. One good reason. We sometimes go faster due to urgency for next job. We use Michelin XPS tires.
I think safety, concern for property and loved ones, stopping distance, and control, might be factors to consider. I commuted 30 miles, one way, each day for my job. When in my 20's I thought I should drive as fast as possible to get there and get home. As I matured, I discovered much stress could be shed by slowing down a bit and not letting others' bad driving choices affect my mood. I'd watch folks zig-zagging lanes to gain a car length, jack-rabbiting ahead when space allowed, and generally acting like they were the most important person on the road. Imagine their surprise when we'd arrive at the exit at the same time. It's not for nothing that the old saying, "Slow and steady wins the race." is still around today!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #33
GBS

I generally run about 5mph lower than the speed limit. Exceptions are where trailer speeds are posted (like CA), or where truck speeds are posted AND the big boys actually seem to be following them! That way I'm not too much of a hindrance to others when it gets a little crowded (think NY tollways vs Montana Interstates), but neither am I burning too much fuel unnecessarily.
I drew the line in Wyoming - 80 mph there. I kept it to 65....

Also, wind is a HUGE factor. Through South Dakota a month ago, we were going dead on into the 20-25mph wind. At 55, that's the same as going 80! My mpg fell to 6.5! I really thought I had serious problems with the truck. Next day, with light wind, right back to expected 11 mpg.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #34

Heat in your tires is the enemy check your tire temps after towing if the tires are hot they are under inflated or your over working them period. If you set your tire pressure correctly then tow it 30 miles or so get out and check the temp of the tires and recheck the pressure if the tires are hot and the pressure has gone up over 5% your working them too hard. So as a example you weighed your trailer and the tire weight chart said to inflate them to 55psi You tow it 30 miles on a avg day and check them and they are very warm to hot so you check the pressure hot and they are now at 60psi you have a baseline pressure. If the tires are within limits at 60psi let them cool for a few hours and inflate them to 60psi and retest. If the higher pressure stabilizes your tires then it is the correct pressure for them under that load. Some tire companies allow up to 10% over max pressure for high speed driving. But even that would only rate a ST to 70 under normal load conditions you can't max all the items out so if your loaded to max weight and max pressure you have to drive slow. Every time I stop on the road I walk around the vehicle and check my temps hot tires or hot brakes means trouble is coming if I don't fix it first.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #35

A very general rule of thumb is that a properly inflated/loaded tire, when up to operating temperature - one hour or more of operation - will typically run about 60 degrees F hotter than the ambient temperature. Anything above 200 degrees F could lead to tire degradation and you need to investigate for a problem.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonrv View Post
A very general rule of thumb is that a properly inflated/loaded tire, when up to operating temperature - one hour or more of operation - will typically run about 60 degrees F hotter than the ambient temperature.

Whose thumb?

Here quoting this Bridgestone Commercial Tire site:
Quote:
Dear Tire Doctor,

What are normal surface/tread temperature ranges for truck tires after they've been running for a while?

Regards, Guy

^ back to top Dear Guy,

Thank you for this opportunity to be of assistance.

While there are many factors, such as ambient temperature, load, speed, air pressure wheel position and tire pattern that will determine the tread temperature of a truck tire in normal operating conditions, we normally experience surface tread temperatures in the range of 150 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit.

Regards, Tire Doctor
I doubt that those numbers involve only climates with ambient temps above 90 degrees. Granted, they're talking about "commercial" tires. But so far as I know (given the laws of physics) conditions are generally the same across all tire types, allowing/correcting for minor differences in composition and construction.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #37

On the interstate it's 55 - 60. We have a highway here the the limit is 80, we still poke along at 60. I think allot of people passing us appreciate us doing 60 because we get the single finger salute as they drive buy. On secondary roads we generally stay 5 to 10 mph below posted speeds. ST tires, retired and in no hurry.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #38

ST tires are rated for 65 MPH max. However, even going at 55 MPH on interstate in California I had 3 blowouts in a 24 hour period. One of which ripped the underside of the RV. On the road in small towns all you can buy is ST (China bombs). The tire pressures were checked every morning. Tires checked physically at the same time. I suggest staying in the right hand lane so you can get to the emergency lane. I am going 65 and below even though now I have LT tires which can take 110 psi and handle even higher GVWR than I could possibly carry.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #39

Weigh the trailer loaded, divide by the number of tires then check the max load allowable on each tires (its embossed on the sidewall with the appropriate inflation pressure). To be safe have 10 to 20% more capacity in the tires than what you weigh.Might save a blow out.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #40

Posted speed limit but never to exceed 60 mph. Plenty fast enough for us and it is better on the fuel economy.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very interesting reading thru all of these posts. There are 2 posts that stick in my mind which mimic my belief. The best speed for towing is the speed at which you are comfortable - within the speed limit of course. I tow using Tow/Haul mode and use CC unless I am in traffic. then I turn CC off.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #42

For me it also depends on the outside weather/road condition.

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing