Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

Full time in a 5th wheel

I am thinking of buying a 5th wheel to live in while parked in a trailer park, not traveling but living there. I am single. Any thoughts? I wold move occasionally
for work.

Thanks
Retire36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #2

5th wheel provides for more storage vs travel trailer.
Overhang area can also be 'enclosed' for storing stuff

But you do have to go up/down more stairs.........entry and then bedroom/bathroom etc

We FTd in a 34' 5vr for 7 yrs........and we traveled place to place weekly.

FTng is NOT limited to any one type of RV.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We lived in our 5th wheel for a year while we built a house. I think a 5th wheel maximizes space to cost ratio. You can get an amazing amount of room in the four slide-out units and they aren't that expensive used. You need an appropriate tow vehicle to move a big 5th wheel.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #4

Full timing for 8 years now. Love it...3 different 5th wheels. Two city's. Life is grand.
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #5

Retired36,,do it !!I'm single now and retired many years, been in a 5er full time for just over 2 yrs in eastern PA. bought a used 6 yr old 37 foot old top of the line unit. Have all hook up's on my son's property. Been thru two winters two hot summers and have not had any major issues. My biggest concern's are water leaks and roof condition,,don't have any problems with that but constantly watch.
Can't express how happy I am.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #6

You mentioned that you are considering buying a trailer to live in full-time. Have you had an RV in the past? Are you sure you would enjoy living full-time in a trailer? Some folks love full-timing, while others like me, couldn't do it. Personally, I like my spacious house, my vegetable garden and being anchored in an established community. When I need a break from my structured life I hookup the trailer and head out on an adventure, then come home and repeat the cycle. Just be sure that you will enjoy the full-time lifestyle.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #7

Suggestion for a 5th wheel to live in

Need some suggestions on 5th wheels to live in full time but not to pull around the country. Live in one of the rv resort type parks.
Any thoughts on:
Make
Model
Size
Thoughts on living in a rv resort type rv park

Just my wife and I. Don't want to own a truck. If a move is necessary have it done.

We like the compact, minimalist possibilities with some luxury and amenities.

Thanks for any help.
Retire36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #8

Budget?
Old 03-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #9

My friend has been in his Forest River Riverstone about 6 months now. Loves it...no issues..
Old 03-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #10

New or used ??

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #11

You're are going to want a Full Time category Fifthwheel. Riverstone, Redwood, DRV, and Solitude lines come to mind. New prices you're going to be between $80K to $125K for these. You may also want to consider a park model if you don't plan on moving it, lots of those around these days as the younger generation is buying them now also.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #12

I’ve only been in it a short time, but I could easily see myself living fulltime in our Palomino Columbus 298RL. Very homey. Talked to the technicians at the dealership and he told me (after I bought it) that they have greatly improved over the past couple years. Guess they didn’t always have a great rep.

I’m a builder. And for the fifth wheels we were searching for, the Columbus line has great woodwork and better minor details compared to the others. We compared it strongly to a Montana, and feel we got a much better build quality, for much cheaper. Montana is proud.

We searched for months, and quality was our biggest concern. We feel so far that we did good.

Anyway, $79k sticker, $55k bought (+TTL) Get your luxury, space and full-time aspect. Hope that helps....just my .02!
Old 03-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A 5er but no truck or intent to move it...Why a 5er?

A Park Model or Destination Trailer would seem to be a better fit for that...like:
The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Park Model RVs

https://www.championhomes.com/park-model-rv
Or
Forest River Inc., A Berkshire Hathaway Company | RVs, Park Models Trailers, Commercial Buses, Commercial Trailers, Pontoons
Or
https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...ight-bungalow/
Or
http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-de...aspx?LineID=65
Or
https://www.heartlandrvs.com/destination-class
Or...any of the dozens of other national or regional makers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SILVERCREST PARK MODEL.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	195259

Two big reasons to select Park Models over a 5er is:
*Finding a commercial delivery set-up for a 5er is more difficult than a receiver equipped truck service...'cuz, a RV 5er tow connection is different than a big-rig tow deck or goose-neck.
*Park Models can typically be connected directly to public utilities...RV's typically must be temp connections.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #14

If you decide to buy the FW, check on Craig's List under Transport for locals that can move your camper w/o having to buy a truck. Or search RV Transport company's that might have trucks in your area.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, full time