Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #15

We have had three different brands of toy haulers. Then we were looking for a larger one to retire in. We were not happy with the quality in any of them. To make a long story short, we now own a '05 40' Monaco Knight plq. So far we are very happy with the quality. Comparably, no comparison. The price was in your price range. We pull a cargo trailer over these mountains no problem. Think outside of the box!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieMS View Post
We have a dually, our fifth wheel now is a 38ft Blackwood and its a complete nightmare!!!! We have looked at many RVs and I know you will have some issues with them...we go camping probably 2x a month. I was asking opinions on what ppl thought as far as what they have or have heard about Big Country (heartland) or Montana (keystone) or poss an Excel? I want a good unit that I can go camping in and not worry about what's gonna break or leak next!
You're always going to have to fix things and prevent leaks, that is an RV. It's not a turn key toy.
But out of the three you listed, an Excel is leagues beyond the other.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #17

You can buy a new 38' DRV Mobile Suites for under 90,000. Ignore list. DRV uses hydraulic slide outs. Even my previous DRV 2006 had hydraulic slides. Jacks leaking down is fairly rare. That is a leaking o ring and it can happen but easy fix. Problem when you have to move fast though. I never had a warranty problem or any thing major wrong with our DRV. Normal wear and tear, maintenance. Water damage is something that can happen to any rv. Owner has to be diligent with caulking and inspecting for gaps in caulking. If buying used have to really check for this. If you consider a Blackwood "junk', and I am not calling any unit that (they serve the market), you will not like any of the mass produced units. They are all basically the same. One might have a little better insulation but skimp on chassis, tires, and so on. What's wrong with your Blackwood? List your problems please so we can give you better advise.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #18

We have had our Blackwood for 13 months and it has been at the shop 7 months for work...the biggest issue is our slide is diggin in to our floor and has scuff marks down the entire floor. ( looks horrible) they have adjusted it so now our decals dont line up...it has leaked ..they had to replace all the flooring..they rebuilt the frame and it still digs into the floor..now all the trim is coming off and is cracked because it is now sliding against the couch..that doesn't include the landing gear switch has broken 4x and my husband had to take apart just so we could get the landing gear up...the converter has burned up....paint is coming off...the decals are coming off..this is just some of the things...I could go on but I think this says enough...so that's why we are getting a new fifth wheel..and I'm just wanting feedback on what ppl have and what to look at...we have been looking for a couple of months now.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #19

I too am looking for a better rig so I can tell you what I found.

Better than average:

Trilogy (not the touring line) Presidential, Landmark, Bighorn

Much better than average:

DRV Mobile Suites, Excel Limited and Winslow.

Better used:

NuWa, Carriage Carri-Lite

Best used:

Teton, King of the Road, Newmar

I am going to look at the smaller used custom build units from New Horizons, Space Craft, Forks RV. These units are very heavy and need a larger than 1ton dually truck. I hope I can find one smaller and lighter so I can use my current truck.

Good Luck
Old 02-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #20

Thank you I will look into those also
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #21
BFS

Smile Heartland Big Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieMS View Post
We have a dually, our fifth wheel now is a 38ft Blackwood and its a complete nightmare!!!! We have looked at many RVs and I know you will have some issues with them...we go camping probably 2x a month. I was asking opinions on what ppl thought as far as what they have or have heard about Big Country (heartland) or Montana (keystone) or poss an Excel? I want a good unit that I can go camping in and not worry about what's gonna break or leak next!
We purchased a Big Country (2013) from Camping World. The biggest problem we had was getting all of the manuals. After several months we have most of the correct ones. The service dept did a great job at the store in Tampa taking care of final details.

I purchased a DEMCO HI JACKER hitch for my F250 and HATE it! I am a first timer with 5th wheeling, and this thing jurks and makes terrible noises all the time. Have talked to the DEMCO service dept and they just keep telling me to adjust it a little more. Have had it now for almost a year, still would not recommend this type of hitch.
BFS
Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
DRV, full wall slides powered by Schwintec, stripped gears, motor failures. Saw a DRW with the slide removed and Lippert was trying to figure a way to install a different system that would move the large heavy slide.
What?? DRV hasn't used electrically driven, gear operated slideouts since 2004 - ours was the last year with them. 2005 and up are hydraulically operated.

We've owned our DRV Mobile Suites since August 2004 and have had minimal problems with it. Unlike many other RVs I see discussed, ours has never seen the factory in Howe, Indiana since it left for delivery to the dealer and has only been back to the dealer twice since we've owned it, and one of those trips was for a failed Dometic refrigerator cooling unit. Otherwise, I take care of all maintenance. Our MS been a good, solid, reliable 5th wheel that is still providing us with excellent service.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #23

We have 2013 big country and love it. Perfect layout, with island and large bathroom. Super Heartland support too.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #24

Went and looked at Cedar Creek,Trilogy,sandpiper today and going back to look at the Big Country's again today
Old 02-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
What?? DRV hasn't used electrically driven, gear operated slideouts since 2004 - ours was the last year with them. 2005 and up are hydraulically operated.

We've owned our DRV Mobile Suites since August 2004 and have had minimal problems with it. Unlike many other RVs I see discussed, ours has never seen the factory in Howe, Indiana since it left for delivery to the dealer and has only been back to the dealer twice since we've owned it, and one of those trips was for a failed Dometic refrigerator cooling unit. Otherwise, I take care of all maintenance. Our MS been a good, solid, reliable 5th wheel that is still providing us with excellent service.

Rusty
I wondered where he could have got that misinformation from too.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #26

AmieMS, I sent you a PM re your search...
Old 02-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #27

Just for an idea, if you are going for another RV, don"t lower your standards. We sold our Mountain Aire MH as it was getting too much for us to care for. We bought a 2013 Avalanche 5th whl, and I keep trying to compare it to the one we had, and It is not near as good. I do wish we had not bought it. Did you look at any Mobile Suites? They are built good.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #28

Yes we have load at those and they are very nice