Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #29

You really owe it to yourself to go look at a Teton. Look in the up to 2005 year models. They are the best. You will be pleasantly surprised at the quality and craftsmanship in them. this will give you something to compare others to. 36 fters can be towed with older duallys. 39' newer duallys or mdt/hdt. They are heavy. they use solid oak for trim and cabinetry. heavy duty axles. Mine has 18" of I-beam/ tube steel. I pd on $30,000 for mine. Wouldn't trade it for anything on current mass market. they are that nice.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
What?? DRV hasn't used electrically driven, gear operated slideouts since 2004 - ours was the last year with them. 2005 and up are hydraulically operated.

We've owned our DRV Mobile Suites since August 2004 and have had minimal problems with it. Unlike many other RVs I see discussed, ours has never seen the factory in Howe, Indiana since it left for delivery to the dealer and has only been back to the dealer twice since we've owned it, and one of those trips was for a failed Dometic refrigerator cooling unit. Otherwise, I take care of all maintenance. Our MS been a good, solid, reliable 5th wheel that is still providing us with excellent service.

Rusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
I wondered where he could have got that misinformation from too.
DRV used the Schwintek system in their 2012 and 2013 models for the front slides. When they first came out, the motor was to small and they had to change all to a bigger motor. Also had all of the regular problems associated with the system. Here is pictures of a 2013 and you can see the rails on side of front slide for the Schwintek system.2013 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSB3 w/ 4th Slide

On the 2014's they changed the front to a cable system. Here is some pictures of a 2014 and you can see the cables on the front slide. Inventory at RV's for Less in Knoxville, Tennessee It uses an electric motor and pulley system to operate, not hydraulics.

So all of the DRV slides are not hydraulic operated.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #31

Have a friend with a 2012 DRV...they are sitting in a dealer in TX right now waiting for a new electric motor to fix their bedroom slide.

They had to tow the thing with the slide sticking out until they found someone who would remove the motor and push the slide in, so they could finish their trip to the dealer for repairs.

They've been stuck in a hotel for quite some time now cause you can't access the bedroom or bathroom with the slide in...
Old 02-09-2014, 11:42 PM   #32

That is only on the small bedroom slide. Large slides are on hydraulics. I have never seen a DRV except the new Tradition front kitchen model that you couldn't get to the bathroom or bedroom with slide in.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
That is only on the small bedroom slide. Large slides are on hydraulics. I have never seen a DRV except the new Tradition front kitchen model that you couldn't get to the bathroom or bedroom with slide in.
You better take another look...the large slide with W/D in it is CABLE driven and when it is pulled in there is NO way to get up the stairs to bedroom or bathroom. Got one right across from us now...you cannot access anything upstairs. One of the main reasons we did not buy one...

P.S...Just checked the DRV website...on MS only, 24 floorplans, 15 of which you CANNOT access the bedroom or bathroom with the main bedroom slide in...
Old 02-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #34
BFS

Just curious, did you contact Heartland direct or contact a dealer for service? I talked to Heartland direct a few months ago, the guy I talked to was somewhat unfriendly but answered my questions.
We have had our Big Country about 6 months and love it. Winterized it myself and that went well.
The main issue I have is with the 5th whl hitch. It jurks and makes weard noises. Still talking with DEMCO about that and I'm sure my problems will get solved, one way or the other.
Good luck and thanks for your reply.
BFS
Old 02-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieMS View Post
We have a Blackwood fifth wheel by Thor and it is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned...so we are looking at getting a new one..I don't want to be stuck with another piece of junk! We are looking at a Montana,Big Country,and a Solitude. I have read bad reviews about keystone..any suggestions would be a big help..I just want a GOOD fifth wheel..
We bought a Heartland Cyclone HD 2013 last July and have had many, many issues with this 5th wheel. We started with leaving the dealership and returning cos we had no brakes. Then in the course of 30 days we found 90 items that needed to be repainted with the biggest being the back drop down door split in half. We now have leaks in our roof that no one wants yo honor the warranty. We wish we never bought this. We even took it back to Elkhart for repairs and spent 10 days there to have some work done. Right now I would not recommend this brand.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #36

X2 on Arctic Fox Silver Fox Edition.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel, 5th. Airborne Pin Box, B&W Companion Hitch, RVS Wired Rear View Camera, TriMetric Battery Monitor. Honda EU2000i. 2002 F350 Superduty, CC, LB, 6 Speed. 7.3 Diesel. US Navy Retired, E8. No More Football for Me.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakampers View Post
You better take another look...the large slide with W/D in it is CABLE driven and when it is pulled in there is NO way to get up the stairs to bedroom or bathroom. Got one right across from us now...you cannot access anything upstairs. One of the main reasons we did not buy one....
I can state with absolute certainty that all 3 slides on a 2011 Mobile Suites 36TKSB3 are hydraulic. Our kids have one, and I just towed it to a campsite and set it up for them 2 weekends ago. I haven't looked at anything newer.

I guess my point is, as my dear old departed English teacher mother used to say, be careful about using "always" and "never" as there are usually exceptions. Perhaps things have changed after 2011...

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I can state with absolute certainty that all 3 slides on a 2011 Mobile Suites 36TKSB3 are hydraulic. Our kids have one, and I just towed it to a campsite and set it up for them 2 weekends ago. I haven't looked at anything newer.

I guess my point is, as my dear old departed English teacher mother used to say, be careful about using "always" and "never" as there are usually exceptions. Perhaps things have changed after 2011...

Rusty
Our neighbors have a 2012 as do our friends who are stuck in Texas waiting on repairs...both units have electric Scwintek slide systems on the large bedroom slides...so things did change since your 2011. The 2014 units now use cabled slides on the large bedroom slide as shown in the link from RVS4less in the earlier post.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #39

I stand corrected. Am disappointed to see this though. It is a quality coach but I don't like these systems. Wonder why they changed a good system?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #40

with larger companies there are only three left .... Thor, Forest River, and Jayco .... personally, if/when we should be in the market for another 5er, we will not consider anything made by Thor or Forest River .... there are some smaller outfits out there worth looking into .... DRV and Excell are two of them .... for us, the choice would boil down to a Jayco Pinnacle or Eagle Premier .... Jayco doesn't have the corporate over head of Thor and Forest River and with its size it can buy components at volume prices DRV and Excell can't match .... in short, more of your money buys camper .... they have excellent warranty support and a large dealership network

Jim
Old 02-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #41

If I had to have a new coach today I would look into New Horizons or Continental Coach. They are strictly custom units ei can't go to dealership and buy one. That would be the only current way to get a quality unit as good as a Teton. They are not cheap but being they are custom you can determine how much you want to spend.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFS View Post
Just curious, did you contact Heartland direct or contact a dealer for service? I talked to Heartland direct a few months ago, the guy I talked to was somewhat unfriendly but answered my questions.
We have had our Big Country about 6 months and love it. Winterized it myself and that went well.
The main issue I have is with the 5th whl hitch. It jurks and makes weard noises. Still talking with DEMCO about that and I'm sure my problems will get solved, one way or the other.
Good luck and thanks for your reply.
BFS
We started out by calling Customer Service at Heartland thru another dealership who started the work on our issues. We then ended up calling Heartland and told them we were bringing it back to them and set up a date for an inspection with them. One of the guys we worked with was unfriendly but surprised at all the things we found wrong. They did end up fixing what we found at that time and now we have other things we have found that need to be fixed that are under warranty. Hope this answers your question.