Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
I stand corrected. Am disappointed to see this though. It is a quality coach but I don't like these systems. Wonder why they changed a good system?

Money....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #44

I would buy an Arctic Fox, one of the best built units available!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #45

He has a 5th wheel. Hasn't posted about downgrading to a tt. Their 5thers are lightweight and that isn't quality
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieMS View Post
We have had our Blackwood for 13 months and it has been at the shop 7 months for work...the biggest issue is our slide is diggin in to our floor and has scuff marks down the entire floor. ( looks horrible) they have adjusted it so now our decals dont line up...it has leaked ..they had to replace all the flooring..they rebuilt the frame and it still digs into the floor..now all the trim is coming off and is cracked because it is now sliding against the couch..that doesn't include the landing gear switch has broken 4x and my husband had to take apart just so we could get the landing gear up...the converter has burned up....paint is coming off...the decals are coming off..this is just some of the things...I could go on but I think this says enough...so that's why we are getting a new fifth wheel..and I'm just wanting feedback on what ppl have and what to look at...we have been looking for a couple of months now.
Have you seen that new 5th Wheel by Grand Design. The owners left Thor they owned Keystone and Dutchmen they have some nice units at grand design rv .com. I believe the frame is a double stacked with 10 in drop frame . They built there own roofs and floors not laminated. There solitude is a heavy full time rig. Well 16k and nice designs . Check them out walked in one at a show and the floors are real solid. They say 1 in plywood not luan or practical stuff plus of course residential insulation.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
He has a 5th wheel. Hasn't posted about downgrading to a tt. Their 5thers are lightweight and that isn't quality
Wow! Who said anything about downgrading to a travel trailer? I wouldn't think of actually saying that someone downgraded if they go from a MH to 5th wheel or 5th wheel to travel trailer or travel trailer to pop up or pop up to tent, I prefer to let people make their own choices. I personally don't like slides because they are a constant source of trouble. I don't want leaks, failure to operate or other problems. Oops I guess I could be accused of downgrading. Northwood makes high quality travel trailers and 5th wheels. The OP should look at them and then decide. I wasn't aware that weight was the determining factor in quality. I thought it was quality of materials, engineering and quality construction by people who are committed to producing quality products. I learn something new every day. On this site we read continually about others experiences with problems with their rv's and I think this helps us refine our final choices.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #48

Had a 2011 FR. Cardinal. Junk!
2013 HH CE. Was ok, but was disappointed on quality.
Was top of NU Wa. Line.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #49

Can't really get quality with "light". They have to sacrifice weight somewhere. Plastics, light weight chassis, etc. They have their market but original operator already has a problem unit. he is demanding in quality.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #50

Hi

Talked to a sales rep at the Tampa RV show unfortunately I don’t have the name of the manufacturer.

The people at the Tampa show stated this company was formed by the past owners of Keystone. Their focus was on quality but their prices were $80,000 and up.

Before you decide on any brand you need to search Thor Industries and see just what trailers they build.

They build the Keystone Montana and it is apparent by looking at the Montana’s built 8 or 10 years ago that the quality has deteriorated a great deal.

Phil P
Old 02-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3665RE View Post
Hi Talked to a sales rep at the Tampa RV show unfortunately I don’t have the name of the manufacturer. The people at the Tampa show stated this company was formed by the past owners of Keystone. Their focus was on quality but their prices were $80,000 and up. Before you decide on any brand you need to search Thor Industries and see just what trailers they build. They build the Keystone Montana and it is apparent by looking at the Montana’s built 8 or 10 years ago that the quality has deteriorated a great deal. Phil P
Heard the brothers owned Keystone sold yo Thor and the other was owner of Dutchman who was an exce. They went together. I had heard that people are liking the quality of these units. I have done some research that also states they wanted to get back at building quality and back down where they were in touch . I also heard that they sold to Thor and were probably going to do the same once they established a line. I have no knowledge except that people do like them and I thought they put there money in the guts. I've seen prettier units with more furnishings of higher quality but lower quality construction. I kind of a construction guy I want something to last I can buy better furnishings. Still looking
Old 02-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #52

In our search we have found out that Thor pretty much owns most everyone! I'm not against buying another Thor product I know every know and then there is gonna be a lemon and that goes with anything.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieMS View Post
In our search we have found out that Thor pretty much owns most everyone! I'm not against buying another Thor product I know every know and then there is gonna be a lemon and that goes with anything.

Hi

You are basically correct.

The following is an editorial.

However I have been thru what is happening to Thor twice before in the industrial business.

#1 A company building top of the line equipment is purchased by the executives. They discover or already know that the company is making a good profit and has excellent credit standing.

So they start purchasing like companies using the exceptional credit standing of the parent company.

#2 When they have grown to the extent that they have become one of the biggest conglomerates around the interest payments begins to take a toll on the profits.

#3 To make up for this they start reducing the quality of the products.

Then as it gets worse they start cutting expenses by replacing personnel that have seniority to reduce the payroll and benefits cost.

Then they start reducing the customer service with the mandate that customer service reduce the amount of warranty claims that are paid.

#4 Thru all of this they terminate any employee that has a feeling of responsibility to the consumer.

#5 The last stage of this process they start selling the least profitable of the companies they have purchased.

In the end they commonly sell all assets and sell the last “name” only.

In this case that would be the Thro name.

My guess is that Thor had entered stage 3 just about the time the Fed reduced the interest rates so extremely. This has given them a reprieve.

When the rate begins to increase their decline will start again.

You have four companies left that have survived the decline in the economy by reducing their production rate and keeping the personnel with seniority in order to keep their quality up. These four companies are now known as the “Top of the line” 5th wheel builders. Only one of them is in Indiana two of them are in Kansas and the forth one I believe is in Wyoming or one of the states in that part of the country.

My wife and I have toured the plants of three of these companies and are impressed by their focus on quality.

Be prepared for sticker shock, the prices start at $80,000 and go up from there but you get a 2 year full warranty and additional 3 years on structure. Appliance etc are covered by the appliance etc warranties.

There are two “start up” companies that have been formed by past owners of companies that Thor purchased that are making their focus on quality. The jury is still out on how they are doing.

3665RE
Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #54

I agree 100%. Seems these day customer service no longer exists...Thor also makes Redwoods which are $90,000 plus...of course that is sticker
Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #55

I agree 100% with your statement 3665RE. My Wife and I have been RVing since the spring of 2000. Our first rig was a used one from a private party and had some issues. After we bought we were able to have some warranty work done and was relative easy.

We then traded for a 2002 5er and still was amazed at customer support with the coach. It was a Medallion made by HR(Holiday Rambler). We were under powered with an F250 TD, but were able to travel for 2/3 years.

When we downsized to a 33' unit and less weight it was a big improvment. We did have issues with the 2006 Prarie Schooner by GulfStream. Customer service with this company went out the window and was very frustrating. Lesson here was not to ever have another GulfStream product again. We traveled with this unit for over 70,000 miles in the eight years we owned it.
Since then I have read and heard stories about how Customer Service has been very lax and getting worse all the time along with quality of product.

We now have a Forest River product and have had since last July. We have traveled some 1500+ miles and 2 months of use with it and not had any problems thus far and don't think we will because of the dealer first and manufacture second.

WoodWkr2014 is offline   Reply With Quote