Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #15

Hjsdds. I agree about the short trips that's where i was curious as my trips will be under 500 miles and only 6 times a year at max

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingw2001 View Post
2005 Chevy 2500 hd 6.0 gas 4.10 rear end 2 wheel drive with the tow package
Have the same setup in a 2012 GMC. With heavy duty suspension I have no need for air bags or supplemental springs. My 5ver dry weight is 10,500 and wet is around 14,000. I am more secure pulling it than I was with my previous TT which was about 10,000 wet. Pulling that much weight is not the main issue. Stopping it is. Make sure all brakes are in top condition and remember a wet road adds considerable distance to your stopping ability.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #17

[QUOTE=Kingw2001;1581864]I wasn't sure how accurate the ratings were - They are accurate as far as max ratings go. But the dry weights may not be accurate. Real world scales are best.
I've just seen so many massive 5ers bring pulled by 3/4 ton pickups that I assumed the ratings that are labeled on the truck were way low. Those people probably have no idea or just don't care anyway

My thoughts in red.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #18

Forget trying to stop a 12k trailer with a truck with no trailer brakes the antilocks will run you down the road.
The limitation for your truck is the gas engine that will possibly have overheating problems. But you can possibly overcome it by using caution. Diesels have same transmissions, brakes, springs and can tow much more. You do have a lighter truck but cooling the engine will be the problem as so many of my friends had.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #19

If you are pulling anything over 10,000 pounds with a pickup and you loose the electric brakes on the fifth or the brake controller, you have just taken the first step to become second mate, first mate or even master of the sea to operate one of these.

It takes well over a mile to stop one of these in full reverse. I challenge anyone to show me a pickup brochure that intelligently discusses stopping distance with the max GCWR load that they state you can pull.

hjs
Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #20

Overheating the engine ? That one surprises me because of the pulling I've done. I had a skid steer with know trailer brakes total of equipment and trailer around 11000 lbs. my biggest concern was overheating the transmission cause the engine temp never went up and it was all city stop and go. I know what you guys mean about stopping because you definitely have to pay attention when you have know trailer brakes.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #21

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingw2001 View Post
My truck is rated for 10500 lbs. I travel for work so I will be full timing in my 5 th wheel. The 5er that I really want is 10800 lbs dry and I will always pull with dry tanks. I spend 8 weeks at a time in one place so I won't have to pull it very often. My question is does this sound like a bad idea as far as weight or is this doable? I'm very concerned with weight but I also need what's best for my family and I which consists of my wife 6 and 8 year olds. Any suggestions welcome.
"My truck is rated for 10500 lbs." Is that the weight of a fifth wheel your truck is rated to tow or a travel trailer or the payload capacity? Contact your truck manufacturer and get the towing specs for your truck which will answer your question. Get the facts not personal opinions.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #22

Thanks wandering1. That's the fifth wheel rating and I agree I will only go on facts and my trailering experience. People are very opinionated passionate about things and I just want to be safe and not break down cause the side of the road is not near as nice as the garage
Old 05-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #23

I really have to laugh when someone claim they are pulling a 14K fiver with a 3/4 ton anybodies truck. It is painfully obvious they have never pulled across a set of scales for some accurate weights. BT,DT started pulling my 13,750 GVWR, 13,500 pound scaled fiver with a 2500HD Duramax. It pulled great, stopping was GM brakes OK. The real scarey part was coming off the mountain. While the Allison grade brake did a good job it always felt, well just plane scary going around curves. This is after I added new tires because the OE tires were overloaded, again scaled not guesses. And adding air bags in an attempt to get more stability. All a waste of money BTW. After struggling for three years with this setup, traded it for a dually and have never looked back. Same trailer now tows like a dream, stability is first rate. And when we arrive I am not all stressed out, I can drive for 8-10 hours straight and still get out of the truckqw and not be stressed. Tired from sitting, yea, but no stress. Do what you want, it is afterall your money, your sanity, your families safety and welfare. But IMHO there is no way in heck I would consider anything over 9000 GVWR with your truck.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #24

the 2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas 2WD is the same truck I just sold my son. I used that truck all of last year pulling my 5th wheel. (my first year of owning one) and I never had any problem pulling it. Just didn't like how sluggish it was going up hills. And it had close to 160K miles on it. But I was the only owner of it. I bought a 2007 F-250 6.0 diesel 4WD with 46K miles on it this year ( after getting the turbo cleaned) It pulls a lot better then the Chevy I had. The trailer at the local truck stop weighed 9800 LBS. I know this really didn't answer your question but I just thought it might help you a little. the truck in my avatar is the 05 Chevy I haven't changed it yet.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #25

Rlm4x4. Thanks for the input. It's sounding like its quite doable and as long as I drive slow and safe and keep my distance I will be just fine. I definitely would like to get a 1 ton dually but for now my 2500 will do. Obviously the bigger the truck the better so if the right deal comes along and I've got the cash I will buy.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #26

You will be under powered, but your truck might handle the weight, if your not carrying around 1k of tools or other stuff. Weigh your truck with all the stuff in it and a full tank of gas, subtract from 9200 and that's what you can have for pin weight. Most of the stuff you load in a 5'th wheel is in the front, so it drives the pin weight up fast. As said before, empty weight is only the starting point. No one uses a empty trailer and putting a 1000lb in one is very easy. Most important of all is to watch the RAWR as that is the rated limit of the rear tires.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Interesting to know what truck you have, engine, tran, etc...
I know Ford underestimates loads and they do it for many reasons. It is one of those things that only you will be able to decide. If it were close and you were hauling mainly in the plain states then I might tend to say not a big deal if you had good controller, brakes, etc. If you were quite a way out of spec and did a lot of hauling and in rougher terrain then I would re-think this and tend to consider trade up time.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #28

Kro1957, I have an 05 Chevy 2500hd 6.0 with 4.10 rear end 2 wheel drive I'm putting about $1500 into it right now. Air intake system exhaust better brakes and a better brake controller than the stock one. I think I should be fine but will soon find out. I had the dealer weigh the fifth wheel and its 10930 lbs that's only 300 or so over the sticker wt. and I know that I will have gear to add before anyone makes that comment (see previous posts). Can't wait to pick it up and get started with our journey.