Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingw2001 View Post
Kro1957, I have an 05 Chevy 2500hd 6.0 with 4.10 rear end 2 wheel drive I'm putting about $1500 into it right now. Air intake system exhaust better brakes and a better brake controller than the stock one. I think I should be fine but will soon find out. I had the dealer weigh the fifth wheel and its 10930 lbs that's only 300 or so over the sticker wt. and I know that I will have gear to add before anyone makes that comment (see previous posts). Can't wait to pick it up and get started with our journey.
I had an 03 silverado 4 wheel drive crew cab 4 speed transmission and 371? read end. Pulling 10,000 through rolling countryside was no problems but when on long uphill climbs wiTh outside temp above 70 temp started to climb. Added an electric fan which helped some but temp still would climb during a climb up SAMs gap from Tennessee into North Carolina. Now I have a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4 wheel drive crew cab 6speed transmission and 410 rear end. No overheating on same road pulling a 325RL loaded for a 6 months camping. Boat, trailer, motor, extra freezer full, can goods, lathe, tools ( you get the picture). Did not weigh but estimate 14,000.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #30

Patrickdana that's good to hear. Is yours a gas 6.0 like mine or a diesel ? I've read a lot of these forums and it seams that I'm fine. Obviously it would be easier with a 1 ton dually but not necessary. Just because a truck has to work to get the job done doesn't mean it's undersized.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Patrickdana that's good to hear. Is yours a gas 6.0 like mine or a diesel ? I've read a lot of these forums and it seams that I'm fine. Obviously it would be easier with a 1 ton dually but not necessary. Just because a truck has to work to get the job done doesn't mean it's undersized.
Sorry both were/are 6.0 gas
Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #32

Quote:
If it's over weight limits, then it does mean it's undersized.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #33

Jesilvas. Thanks. It just seems a lot more people tow with a 3/4 ton with no problems. And the I Lu people that insist that you need a 1 ton dually are those that have bought one. I understand that they are better. But not a necessity.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kingw, you are right that a lot of people pull with a 3/4 ton truck and many of them are overload and blissfully motoring down the road. BUT that does not make it right.

You need to know your on the road weights for your rig and then make decision if you are comfortable with the overload. Many do not make long trips, but full-timing is a different set of problems.

Another common misconception is that propping up the rear of a 3/4 ton truck with air springs will solve all of the trucks short comings...Wrong again. It does nothing to increase the rating on the truck.

Another observation is most of the folks that are so adamant about towing with a 3/4 ton truck and overloading are 3/4 ton truck owners. They seem to feel that there is safety in numbers...more people do it so it must be right. If they could or would try towing their 38' 5er with properly sized truck they would be amazed at how much easier the job of towing can be.

So, a summary is to just weigh the truck and trailer and see where you are.

Ken
Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #35

Pulling is the "easy" part, stopping is the seriously dangerous part. For those once in a trip panic stops, get a trailer 80% lighter than your trucks rating, or get a bigger truck. Small trailer = family problems. Small truck = bigger problems. I have built and pulled trailers up to 12,000 to 15,000, pulled the AK highway 6 times, (3 in winter) and been an OTR truck driver. I've seen what the "minimum" tow vehicle results in.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Noel View Post
Pulling is the "easy" part, stopping is the seriously dangerous part. For those once in a trip panic stops, get a trailer 80% lighter than your trucks rating, or get a bigger truck. Small trailer = family problems. Small truck = bigger problems. I have built and pulled trailers up to 12,000 to 15,000, pulled the AK highway 6 times, (3 in winter) and been an OTR truck driver. I've seen what the "minimum" tow vehicle results in.
I think you mis-stated the 80% sentence. Shouldn't it read 80% OF your trucks rating?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #37

KingW.

I pull a small 21 foot lightweight 5er trailer or a 30 Airstream TT with my GMC truck so I cannot answer your weight delima. The best I can do for an answer is the final decision is yours. It seems you are just wondering if your truck will pull your trailer and it probably will. As long as life is close to perfect. Hopefully you will not encounter high winds, heavy rain or any other of the conditions mother nature can (an most likely will) throw at you as you travel. The more you travel the more likely there will be an emergency stopping condition or manuver you will have to do.

Not looking at the specifics of your truck or trailer but reading from the above post. You are probably at or over your tow/weight rating of your truck. Now, you are traveling with your family in high rains and wind - something jumps out in front of you. Now you will wish you had a bigger truck - too late.

That is the only advice I can give. JMHO.
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #38

Well we bought the crossroads cruiser patriot 355bl. And love it. Picked it up in Grand Rapids mi and drove straight to Long Island ny because my next job started the following day and we will be here for 3 months. 850 mile trip and the truck did wonderful. No overheating or brake issues. It definitely had to work climbing through the mountains but engine and tranny temps stayed good. More power would always be nice but I am very pleased with the truck. I will ad pictures later of our new full time family home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2906508508.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	40631