Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2002, 03:35 PM   #1

Well............ It has come down to crunch time. We sold our Wilderness trailer and are ready to make a decision and purchase the next. The Sunnybrook 2850SL looks to still be our first choice, based on the construction and quality that goes in to their product. I do however, have a problem with their stubborn attitude when it comes to options. In a nutshell, for those who don't know, there AREN'T MANY!! I understand the concept of mass producing a coach to fit a certain price and spec, but for heavens sake at least make some options available!!!!!!!!! My biggest complaint, is that Sunnybrook (I have been on the phone to factory several times) refuses to install a DSI hot water heater. Nor will they install a foot pedal flush toilet. Two simple things in my book, that should be STANDARD on a trailer of this caliber. Heck, I had them and much more on my last trailer, which was much less in quality and price. I am probably going to order one, but it is very frustrating to have such a well built trailer with no option of getting what I want.

Kev

1996 Dodge 2500 Diesel (the only way)* 2x4 4:10LS Rears * Banks Power Pack (tweaked) * DTT 91% VB & TC Tranny upgrades * Custom suspension springs and life * Taylor Oversize Stainless Wing * Jordan 2020 Controller * Drawtite 16k hitch * And more

Undeceided un which Fiver to buy next!!!!

[This message was edited by Dkevdog on April 19, 2002 at 01:27 AM.]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2002, 03:35 PM   #2

Well............ It has come down to crunch time. We sold our Wilderness trailer and are ready to make a decision and purchase the next. The Sunnybrook 2850SL looks to still be our first choice, based on the construction and quality that goes in to their product. I do however, have a problem with their stubborn attitude when it comes to options. In a nutshell, for those who don't know, there AREN'T MANY!! I understand the concept of mass producing a coach to fit a certain price and spec, but for heavens sake at least make some options available!!!!!!!!! My biggest complaint, is that Sunnybrook (I have been on the phone to factory several times) refuses to install a DSI hot water heater. Nor will they install a foot pedal flush toilet. Two simple things in my book, that should be STANDARD on a trailer of this caliber. Heck, I had them and much more on my last trailer, which was much less in quality and price. I am probably going to order one, but it is very frustrating to have such a well built trailer with no option of getting what I want.

Kev

1996 Dodge 2500 Diesel (the only way)* 2x4 4:10LS Rears * Banks Power Pack (tweaked) * DTT 91% VB & TC Tranny upgrades * Custom suspension springs and life * Taylor Oversize Stainless Wing * Jordan 2020 Controller * Drawtite 16k hitch * And more

[This message was edited by Dkevdog on April 19, 2002 at 01:27 AM.]
Old 04-04-2002, 04:20 PM   #3

Kev,
You need to appreciate Sunnybrook's strategy here. On their regular line, that they charge a whole lot more $$ for, you can get anything you want. One guy said he called the factory and got an extra outside storage door put in to access under the couch.

On the lites, they are cutting production costs by limiting options. Kinda like the Model T, any color you want as long as it's black. "Lite" doesn't mean light weight like some other mfrs, it means light pricewise. The good news is that we get quality Sunnybrook construction with the aluminum frame, etc, at a much more reasonable cost.

One thing that frustrated me is no outside shower, but I'll put that in myself (if I can bring myself to cut a hole in the side of a brand new trailer!).

Also we found out they came out with a mid-season option of a shower pan in place of a tub. The shower pan is like a residential shower stall, and gives you more headroom in the shower. It's not like the tub is big enough to bathe in anyway unless you've got toddlers.

Good luck, we hope to have delivery date on ours next week.

'01 Suburban K2500LT 8.1 Big Block with 4.10
'till May: '00 Mallard 25A bunkhouse TT **See It Here**
After May: '02 Sunnybrook 3310SLE QuadBunk
Old 04-04-2002, 04:31 PM   #4

Burbman- I am more aware than you might suspect of how and what Sunnybrook is doing. I have spoken with them enough times that I think I am on a first name basis with a few of them . I would gladly purchase on of their standard builds- but they do not offer a bunkhouse. (The bunkhouse they do offer in the 31BWFS is a really lousy floor plan, BTW). I am being forced down in to the SL line because of the floor plan. Sunnybrook has the attitude that as long as they build it well, they can skimp on appliances and options. I'm sorry, but I take offense to that. What I am asking for isn't something they aren't already doing either. I'm willing to pay for it, they aren't willing to do it. I apologise If I seem irate, but It's hard to settle for what theythink that (we) Rver's should have on our rigs.

Incidentally- this is one thing I like about how Ron Nash (Arctic Fox/Nash) does business. You can order a Fox, which is fully loaded to the gils, or get a Nash, and add as many options as you want. Makes REALLY good sense to me.

Kev

Old 04-04-2002, 04:44 PM   #5

So buy an Arctic Fox or a Nash, sounds simple to me. If Sunnybrook's business practices offend you, buy another brand.

Old 04-05-2002, 04:17 AM   #6

Burbman- I'm not trying to start a p**sing match here, all I'm trying to do is generate some feedback and get other's feelings on this. You seem to be missing the point though- I love the Sunnybrook quality, that's why I'm willing to do without some of the features. You yourself even said that you would like an outside shower. I bet you're willing to pay for the factory to do it too. It's a simple matter of giving the consumer what they want. And besides- even Mercedes Benz offers features on their lower end models.

Kev

Old 04-05-2002, 05:23 AM   #7

Kev,

Sorry, I guess my post was harsher than I intended.

What I meant to say was that we shopped for almost a year before deciding on the Sunnybrook. We were unable to find any trailer that met our needs 100%, from any manufacturer, even some I never heard of before. Every model had shortcomings against our wish list. We had to prioritize what was most important, and go off of that, sacrificing some nice-to-haves. First was weight, then floorplan, construction, etc., on down the line.

I agree, it would make sense that SB would offer more options on the SLs, since options tend to be higher margin opportunities considering that most of the fixed mfg. overhead is absorbed by the base unit. For some reason, they don't see it like that, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to come around. The only way to shown them what you think is to vote with your dollars and buy another brand. Or, wait for a bunch of other folks to do that first, and hope they change their startegy on the next model year.

Old 04-06-2002, 06:07 AM   #8

Dkevdog,

If you think Sunnybrook has a dysfunctional attitude before the deal, just wait until you have a problem with them larger than a spot on the carpet or a persnickity slide out. Personally, if Sunnybrook were the last RV manufacturer on earth, I would go back to tents and hotels!

I suggest looking at Newmar, Crossroads, or Jayco Designer. They all appear to be as good if not better than Sunnybrook to me, especially Newmar.

WARNING!
Before doing business with:
SUNNYBROOK RV
TOM SCHAEFFER'S RV SUPERSTORE
THE ED TOBIN INSURANCE AGENCY
NATIONAL INTERSTATE INSURANCE
You should know my story.

MartyM,
97 Wilderness 31 GL
97 Chevy Suburban
Hensley Arrow
2old4this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 01:04 PM   #9

Always good to hear from you Marty.....folks were asking for you over at rv.net.

Old 04-06-2002, 01:18 PM   #10

So nice to hear that Sunnybrook isn't perfect Marty. We ordered ours yesterday, happily and gladly. We may not have gotten every single option we wanted, but it seems to be a hell of lot better that the rest of what we saw. While I'm not aware of your specific problems, I had a horrible experience with Fleetwood......... So I guess that would make it a crapshoot no matter who you buy. You are the first and only Sunnybrook problem I have come accross.

Kev

Old 04-06-2002, 02:14 PM   #11

Sunnybrook has proven to be great trailer in many ways. It will surely be our next without a doubt. Our friend has one, they initially had a few problems but all were taken care of by Sunnybrook's warranty, even to the extent of upgraded parts.

Rich

Our 'Alaska 2000' trip

iRV2.com Member #216
98 Nash 23-5R (Northwood) 5th wheel - 97 GMC 1-ton dually
Bremerton Elk's #1181 Travel n' Fun club
Amateur Radio: Rich- KH2JA ex-KA2RD and Zara- KA7QLV
Rich & Zara both U.S. Navy Retired
Vietnam Veterans Association
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 04:35 PM   #12

Kev,

Congrats on the new trailer!! Which model did you order? Time to change the sig....

Old 04-06-2002, 05:48 PM   #13

Burbman- I tried to e-mail you but for some reason it got rejected........ We went ahead and ordered the 2850SL fifth wheel. It doesn't have every single thing we wanted (as you know) but I was able to talk them into a few things. I do not think that for the price, the quality of the construction could be matched. And other than Marty here, who obviously had a bad experience (from the sounds of it more dealer than anything) I have never heard a bad thing about them. My dealer worked his rear off closing this deal. I would reccomend Dan @ Domiano's RV to anyone in the So. Cal. area.

Now the hard part.........the 7 week wait!

Kev

Sunnybrook 2850SL ON ORDER!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2002, 04:58 AM   #14

Kev,

Congrats

'00 SunnyBrook 31BWFS
'99 Ford F250 CrewCab 4x4 PSD
Hittin' all the South East NASCAR tracks!

'99 Ford F250 CrewCab 4x4 PSD
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote